Low lights on box coloured blonde hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi , I m seeing a client on Thursday ( she is currently one of my nail clients ) , whos txted me about doing her hair aswell now . At a guess at the moment untill I see her then she has a level 10 color on her hair which she tells me she has colored herself ,( im not currently sure of her natural color yet ) .Shes asked for lowlights . I use Loreal and was wondering if anybody could advise if an 8.3 would work as she has a box dye on her hair ? I wanted to know if the previous dye forms a barrier before I go about doing a strand test ?

Any anyone please ?

Do a strand test first then see.

I always thinks it looks better if you put some highlights in, then put the darker colour as a surrounding.

Definitely do some strand tests as some brands of box colour contain metallic salts.

I wouldn't decide what tones to apply until I've seen her natural hair and skin colour.

Do a strand test first then see.

I always thinks it looks better if you put some highlights in, then put the darker colour as a surrounding.

Ditto this. Always looks nicer.

Yes another one for a strand test as in bast experience I have found box colours to act as a barrier especially if permanent and sometimes do react when putting a professional colour on...nightmare clients that use box colours lol I had a client that done this and it took a while to achieve what she wanted so I would advice this first and that it may not work, I started with a full head bleach highlights and then the next appt I added in the low lights as I also got a cleaner coverage from this, I also do all my low lights with a bleach highlight as I feel it looks better and then just add an all over in between if she still wants that :) xx

Latest posts

Back