Lowlights first Asian hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi I have a lady booked in with Asian hair ,natural level 1 , she wants highlights and light brown low lights , I’m a bit stumped what I can use for lowlifes ? I use L’Oréal x

If she’s genuinely a level 1, then she can’t have lowlights as there’s nothing darker than level 1. A light brown on level 1 hair isn’t technically, a low light. How light is she hoping to go?

Maybe she just wants a mix of lighter tones going through her hair? I recommend doing a strand test because you don’t know how tightly packed her cuticle scales are and how much red she’s got.

She wants some light brown weaves put through aswell as bleached highlights.. she’s showed me a picture, she’s had it done before by someone else..I’ve done a strand test , I was recommended 7.1 , on a different hairdresser page I’ve tried it in Majerel with 30 & 40 vol .. but it’s hardly lifted

Think about it for a moment.
Will a 7.1 tint on level 1 hair lift 6 levels?
Tint is only designed to lift 3 or 4 levels max.
Also, the underlying pigment in a 7 is orange/yellow and you’d be lucky to have cut through the red/brown from a level 1.

Also, don’t forget about colour pigment density in Tint.
This is a simplified guide to help explain depth of colour but will vary according to the manufacturer.

Level = Pigment Weight of Colour

10 - 3-4 units of pigment
9 - 8 units of pigment
8 - 10 units of pigment
7 - 15 units of pigment
6 - 25 units of pigment
5 - 40 units of pigment
4 - 75 units of pigment
3 - 100 units of pigment
2 - 125 units of pigment
1 - 150 units of pigment

It’s going to be a bleach and tone job and possibly a double process (gentle) bleach mix if you want to keep the integrity of the hair intact.

yes I didn’t think the 7.1 was appropriate either but 2 people told me it would work .. and yes I did mention about bleach and tone for the light brown was an option I couldn’t get my head round how to do both same time though but you’ve answered my thought now ..thank you

I think I'd do a full head of bleach highlights and then go back through it after developing with a semi light brown with the appropriate tonal quality to deposit the "light brown". You other option is to look in to a Highlift brown? If you're a wella user maybe magma /17 would be useful?

I think I'd do a full head of bleach highlights and then go back through it after developing with a semi light brown with the appropriate tonal quality to deposit the "light brown". You other option is to look in to a Highlift brown? If you're a wella user maybe magma /17 would be useful?
How do I prevent the brown running into the bleached highlights though ?

Am I right in saying I should do the brown first ? So bleach & tone with brown first appointment then second appointment do the highlights?

How do I prevent the brown running into the bleached highlights though ?
That shouldn't be too much of on an issue, if you're worried you could always apply an anti oxi conditioner the the rest of the hair, and you could even go as far as rinsing a few foils at a time.

That shouldn't be too much of on an issue, if you're worried you could always apply an anti oxi conditioner the the rest of the hair, and you could even go as far as rinsing a few foils at a time.
Ok thank you conditioner sounds like a good idea , I’m always paranoid of running ..lol

Just keep the water running over the hair, so it doesn't get chance to cling.

Latest posts

Back