Majirel vs Koleston

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey geeks, I've got quite a technical question here, wondering if anyone might be able to answer this as I've been curious for a while. I've noticed that Majirel lifts 2 shades with 20 vol, whereas Koleston only lifts 1 shade with 20 vol - if majirel has more lifting power could this be because it has more ammonia? And would this therefore make it more of a harsh product? X

This is my kinda question haha :D

Aside from the different mixing ratios,.. does a product that achieves two levels of lift from 20vol, contain more ammonia than a product that only gets one level of lift with 20vol? ...Yes

Does this make it a harsher product?
Not necessarily... To think of it another way: the LOW-ammonia product needs a HIGHER-strength peroxide to achieve the same amount of lift.

Ammonia swells the hair, but does not cause the oxidative damage that hydrogen peroxide does. However peroxide at the acidic pH that we store it as, oxidises extreamly slowly, until mixed with an alkaline agent such as ammonia.

Thefore I think it is more accurate to say that the damage is caused by "Alkaline hydrogen peroxide". One product uses more ammonia, the other more peroxide... it is the combination of both that creates the damage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
This is my kinda question haha :D

Aside from the different mixing ratios,.. does a product that achieves two levels of lift from 20vol, contain more ammonia than a product that only gets one level of lift with 20vol? ...Yes

Does this make it a harsher product?
Not necessarily... To think of it another way: the LOW-ammonia product needs a HIGHER-strength peroxide to achieve the same amount of lift.

Ammonia swells the hair, but does not cause the oxidative damage that hydrogen peroxide does. However peroxide at the acidic pH that we store it as, oxidises extreamly slowly, until mixed with an alkaline agent such as ammonia.

Thefore I think it is more accurate to say that the damage is caused by "Alkaline hydrogen peroxide". One product uses more ammonia, the other more peroxide... it is the combination of both that creates the damage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ahh what a great answer, I knew I could count on you for this Adam! Lol :D I would have tagged you in this if we had the facility to tag users in things like on Facebook! Lol x

Latest posts

Back