Major hair disaster, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadie F

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to this forum, so please bare with! (Hairdresser since 2009)
I have been doing foil highlights on my sister's hair for years now (sometimes just bleach other times a mix of bleach and 6/7 all of which are weaved 3 bleach to one 6/7), but for the time it takes was hoping to find an easier alternative by way of all over tint. I have my reservations about these as the high lift blondes are renowned for going orange/gingery but never used them. That aside, she insisted on trying out-so I purchased XP100 12.1 to counter any warm her hair has a tendency to throw out and get rid of brassyness on her blondes,I use XP range from sally's having been a previous Wella freak. As expected,roots went ginger and mid lengths and ends were a mixture of creamy blonde and pearls. In natural light the root glow was far too warm and so attempted to put a 10/1 Wella over them to tone- which made a marginal difference but not enough. I resorted to slicing through all the roots with bleach + 3% a week later, which brought them up obviously but the overall look was bad. I left it a week and then weaved 6/7 with 3% through the whole hair. Although the application was fine the end result was still not as expected- leaving us with a very lavender/grey look overall to her hair. I am at a loss what to use from here as everything I would normally use/do that is fail safe has not worked. I don't want to put anymore bleach near her hair, but need to restore blondes somehow and introduce some warmth/life back into her hair. The final alternative will be to bring her darker blonde (6), but even then I am scared of what to use, because the hair just doesn't seem to respond the way I would expect it to

All advice greatly received.

Do you have a picture x

Hi, Not sure this has attached right? This is where I am up to with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    869.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    996.4 KB · Views: 230
At least it's your sister. :)
Ok, first of all, /1 in many ranges inc. Wella isn't really strong enough to neutralise strong yellow tones, so you need to choose a colour with more violet in it. (Personally, I'm not keen on XP as a very cheap low quality range)
Highlift tints aren't much use on naturally warm hair and I never use them on anyone lower than an 8 natural.
You need to remember that they are designed to lift a bit more than a normal level 10 tint and the amount of colour pigment in them is less dense.
Is the condition good enough to use a very mild bleach wash to lift out the purple/grey tones? (No peroxide)

I know-thank God! I think it has, just about...would that be a cap of bleach powder mixed into you usual squirt of shampoo to wash a full head as you would normally all over, or strategically placed?? As I have weaved the foils that is going to be difficult.

Or what would the alternative be?

Have used Goldwell a lot before but Sally's rep persuaded me to try XP range and up until this point haven't had a problem

I find 6/7 when used over lightened hair has a purple - ish , heather tone . I normally use 6/73 &6/0 , leaves a more natural brunette , I would use a pale golden toner . Or a gold shampoo just left on a few minutes to get rid of the ashy tone

Thanks for that Elle Bell! 6/7 in Wella didn't seem to do what 6/7 in XP has...

Any suggestions of brands for shampoo/ toner numbers/ amount to use and application?

Desperate to correct this for her?

/7 is cool in ID too I've just moved over to them so it is confusing , I have a bottle of lifetex shampoo to enhance gold tones in blonde hair like silver shampoo only opposite , don't know if anyone makes such a thing anymore , I keep it in for this reason , it's fab for neutralising ash tones , have you any /33 g mix ? You could add a couple of MLS to conditioner and give it a good mix , comb through and leave on a few mins ?

Are we talking Wella special mix? I don't Avoiding roots or all over? Applying as if it's a tint (no peroxide)?

Do you advise against bleach rinse,previously mentioned by AcidPerm?

Apologies for all the questions- really don't want this to be made worse.

You just need to add a bit of gold to neutralise the violet tones , a gold shampoo would be perfect , . Adding a gold tone to the conditioner and distributing it through the hair evenly or a light gold toner possibly 903 , a bleach cleanse would work . As her hair is long it's can be quite tangled and I find it leaves the hair feeling a bit dehydrated ( even without peroxide )

So to clarify,you recommend a gold restoring shampoo on its own(such as lifetex),or with the special mix in it? Do you think it's a one wash job/watch by eye or repeat until desired gold takes hold.

the /33 previously mentioned wells?what product is the 903?

I am taking a trip to Sallys so need to be sure I don't miss anything.

If you are going to sallies have a look at mila nila semi permenant colour conditioner. I've used both the dark brown and pearl blonde on myself, for a shadow root and toning my ends and I love it as it fades so beautifully but doesn't leave any damage, really moisturising, deposits colour really well plus I am sure that they do a gold blonde. A little goes a long way xxx

Yes , I forgot Maria nila do one , I think you can get it in a small size too as it's quite pricey .903 = a light gold blonde . In your preferred toner choice

This is amazing help girls!i don't care about price,just want to fix it.

Looking at previous pics how should I apply? And onto shampooed hair or dry just with the product?

I use on damp hair after shampooing- I clarify first xx

Girls-just wanted to let you know I bought Maria Nila 'Sand' shade in this and have just finished a totally successful colour correction. This is an amazing product! So easy to use and gave the perfect colour result,brought the life back to the colour and she was thrilled.Seeing is believing!!Can't thank you enough for all your help and advice-A+++ to you all!!!

Well done!!! Pleased to have pointed you to the mila nila xx

Aw that's great [emoji16]

Latest posts

Back