Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone help me. I want to do an intense smokey eye on crease, but when I get to crease, it never seems as dark as what I'd like it, is there any tips to help me for that intense dark colour on crease please ? X

Can anyone help me. I want to do an intense smokey eye on crease, but when I get to crease, it never seems as dark as what I'd like it, is there any tips to help me for that intense dark colour on crease please ? X

Try using a black gel eyeliner as a base in the crease. Apply with a soft fluffy blending brush to keep it blown out. Then apply your dark shade over this. Just go straight in with your dark shade and then apply the lighter shade only where you want it. Hope that makes sense and helps a little x

Try using a black gel eyeliner as a base in the crease. Apply with a soft fluffy blending brush to keep it blown out. Then apply your dark shade over this. Just go straight in with your dark shade and then apply the lighter shade only where you want it. Hope that makes sense and helps a little x

So I'll just dip my fluffy blending blush in my gel liner + use that to apply to crease then buff out where I want it ? Then use my black powder shadow ? Sorry lol x

Any suggestions for lighting in salon ?
Owner has general light bulb but I find it quite harsh for pics x

So I'll just dip my fluffy blending blush in my gel liner + use that to apply to crease then buff out where I want it ? Then use my black powder shadow ? Sorry lol x
Yes I would just go straight in. Or pop a little on the back of your hand if you feel better to do it this way. This can help to warm the product up a little too if you need to warm it a little first.
Try to choose a synthetic blending brush, such a s the mac #217 brush. A synthetic brush will pick up emollient products better than a natural fibre brush. Hth xx

I've had a new ring light for Christmas. I'm so excited! Lol!
My recommendation would be to choose a white / cool light. Avoid anything yellow /warm.
This will give you a more true / daylight effect.
Warm / yellow lighting is likely to effect how your colours looks.
X

Not sure on pictures though as I'm not great at taking pictures. X

Yes I would just go straight in. Or pop a little on the back of your hand if you feel better to do it this way. This can help to warm the product up a little too if you need to warm it a little first.
Try to choose a synthetic blending brush, such a s the mac #217 brush. A synthetic brush will pick up emollient products better than a natural fibre brush. Hth xx
The MAC 217 is goat hair. There are lots of synthetic ones though, I actually wrote a post about it recently. http://www.alienontoast.co.uk/2015/11/mac-217-cruelty-free-vegan-dupes.html

Natural daylight is the best for pics, if you can manage it. Take pics by a window.. actually there was a good post on buzzfeed recently where Tess Holliday shared her selfie taking tips, there was a couple of tips about light.

If that's a no go though, I'm not much help. I'm lucky that i have a big window in my salon and the lights are pretty good.

I'm excited you guys.... Beauty Bay have started selling Makeup Geek!! I used to ship it in from America but the customs charges made me make smaller orders! No more worries about that. They have a decent selection too.

If you've not tried their eyeshadows, you need to. IMO, they are as good, if not better than the MAC ones and they're cheaper (and cruelty free! YAY).

http://www.beautybay.com/makeupgeek

I'm excited you guys.... Beauty Bay have started selling Makeup Geek!! I used to ship it in from America but the customs charges made me make smaller orders! No more worries about that. They have a decent selection too.

If you've not tried their eyeshadows, you need to. IMO, they are as good, if not better than the MAC ones and they're cheaper (and cruelty free! YAY).

They've been on there for a couple of weeks but everytime I go to order they are sold out of the colours I want :(

They've been on there for a couple of weeks but everytime I go to order they are sold out of the colours I want :(
GAH! Typical.

When they first came over, it was on facebook and I was so excited I went straight over to do an order and there was literally 4 shades on there! So I was really excited to go back and see a better selection when I went back :)

Do you have any shade recommendations? Xx

Do you have any shade recommendations? Xx
YASSS!! All of them. hahaha

No seriously, I regularly use peach smoothie, cocoa bear (beautiful warm reddy brown) and latte. Corrupt is the blackest, darkest matte black I've ever tried, it's awesome. I don't have any of their foiled or duochrome shadows yet but I want to get some.

There's a tonne of swatches on pinterest. https://www.pinterest.com/jazz1959/makeup-geek/

Does anyone have any recommendations for loose glitter ? I've tried Lit, good but don't seem to have a lot of colours I like Instock x

Does anyone have any recommendations for loose glitter ? I've tried Lit, good but don't seem to have a lot of colours I like Instock x

I use and retail glitter eyes. Here's a pic of it on myself.
They have a lovely range of glitters and they are always releasing new colours. x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1451247820.215252.jpg

Sorry to be a pain pros, still looking for something for good pictures. Lighting in salons fine for doing then makeup bit harsh on pictures though. Any suggestions would be helpful x

Sorry to be a pain pros, still looking for something for good pictures. Lighting in salons fine for doing then makeup bit harsh on pictures though. Any suggestions would be helpful x

I bought 'glamcor' lights and they have been a great help when I have been travelling doing makeup, especially in hotels! It is expensive at about €220 but I've used it every single makeover in the past year and it gives a great photograph!

Latest posts

Back