Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone on snapchat? [emoji4]
Ive set up a makeup snapchat (username: sinead-makeup) would love if you could give it a follow & I'll follow back! Doing tutorials, bargains, and attempting to be funny haha

I bought 'glamcor' lights and they have been a great help when I have been travelling doing makeup, especially in hotels! It is expensive at about €220 but I've used it every single makeover in the past year and it gives a great photograph!

I do hear all great reviews for Glamcor, ATM though all my spare money seems to be on kit nessesaties, is it worth looking at a cheaper one for now and then in next month/2 months buy the Glamcor ? I really don't want to wait for some better lighting tho x

Have you guys tried any of the freedom range they're selling in Superdrug? I know it's a cheaper brand but it's basically the sister company of Makeup Revolution but seems to be aimed more at makeup artists, as it has pro palettes and sets etc. I have been using the brow powder for about a month now and I LOVE it, I actually prefer it to my billion dollar brows ones!! I'm going to buy the pro palette for my kit.

I've also been using their solid brush cleanser and primer spray and I love both of those too.

Also, they make a brow pomade that comes in tonnes of shades, looks like a dupe of Anastasia's dipbrow, which I have to admit I don't love. I've bought one to test out.

I think this brand would be great for people starting out in makeup and building their kit because it's so budget friendly. Obviously a lot of clients would prefer higher end brands, but for a few bits, it's great. And their pro melt liquid lipstick/gloss - LOVE that. I have found one (shade called Up) which is my perfect everyday pink. Beautiful colour for brides.

And they do little boxes of lipsticks. 5 full sized lipsticks for about a fiver! And they do a pro discount (students as well http://www.freedommakeuplondon.com/prodiscount).

Have you guys tried any of the freedom range they're selling in Superdrug? I know it's a cheaper brand but it's basically the sister company of Makeup Revolution but seems to be aimed more at makeup artists, as it has pro palettes and sets etc. I have been using the brow powder for about a month now and I LOVE it, I actually prefer it to my billion dollar brows ones!! I'm going to buy the pro palette for my kit.

I've also been using their solid brush cleanser and primer spray and I love both of those too.

Also, they make a brow pomade that comes in tonnes of shades, looks like a dupe of Anastasia's dipbrow, which I have to admit I don't love. I've bought one to test out.

I think this brand would be great for people starting out in makeup and building their kit because it's so budget friendly. Obviously a lot of clients would prefer higher end brands, but for a few bits, it's great. And their pro melt liquid lipstick/gloss - LOVE that. I have found one (shade called Up) which is my perfect everyday pink. Beautiful colour for brides.

And they do little boxes of lipsticks. 5 full sized lipsticks for about a fiver! And they do a pro discount (students as well http://www.freedommakeuplondon.com/prodiscount).

I bought lots of things from freedom for myself before Christmas.
I've been using the priming spray, setting spray (love the packaging of these!) highlighters & lipsticks and loving them! It's so reasonably priced.
x

The highlighter (and brow palette) is next on my list. I applied for the discount and they approved it within about half an hour so I'll probably do an order soon. I just bought one of the corrector palettes to test out on myself too.

The highlighter (and brow palette) is next on my list. I applied for the discount and they approved it within about half an hour so I'll probably do an order soon. I just bought one of the corrector palettes to test out on myself too.

Ooh let us know what the corrector is like please.
Also What did they need to approve you?

Ooh let us know what the corrector is like please.
Also What did they need to approve you?
Link to my website and qualification certificate.

Do I invest In a new camera instead of my iPhone or do I invest some new lighting. I just literally can't make my mind up I need both lol x

Do I invest In a new camera instead of my iPhone or do I invest some new lighting. I just literally can't make my mind up I need both lol x

If you do get a camera I recommend getting a lens with a low f-stop. If you want a bit more info I'll explain! I am SO glad I got a new camera it just makes my make ups look so much better - and I get more bookings!!

I've got some of their brow pomades and they are as good as illamasqua and anastasia brow pomades. Really good colour range. When I am low on brow powders I'll be ordering the powders next. I've got some fixing spray and oil control primer - all fantastic and been really impressed!

Hi im just wondering if any of you can give me abit of advice? Im looking into becoming a MUA, but im not sure where /who / what to start my training with? Or would you advise a fast track course, or college? UK based , manchester area, if you know of anywhere would be a great help. :) snap chat added hun x

Hi im just wondering if any of you can give me abit of advice? Im looking into becoming a MUA, but im not sure where /who / what to start my training with? Or would you advise a fast track course, or college? UK based , manchester area, if you know of anywhere would be a great help. :) snap chat added hun x

Hi there, I think there is an academy called DFMA which I think train in Manchester (not 100%) but they have a great range of courses. One of my old learners went and did a week long course here and she is so busy!! She does very dramatic make ups. It depends what you want to do, bridal? Special occasion? Editiorial make ups? X

Brilliant thanks just taking a look online, i have found a few places but it is better with referals. I am wanting to do bridal and special occasions. I am looking into it over qnd over but just dont know where to start with going to college or doing a fast track course. Thanks, do u have Instagram for your business?

I do hear all great reviews for Glamcor, ATM though all my spare money seems to be on kit nessesaties, is it worth looking at a cheaper one for now and then in next month/2 months buy the Glamcor ? I really don't want to wait for some better lighting tho x

I know it's so hard to decide which is more important. Bits for the kit or good lighting which makes for better lighting/pictures & therefore possibly more bookings. For me it was worth it becuase there have been times when I really needed it and luckily I had it and also clients often say how Professional it looks. It is expensive but I would definately buy it again, that or the diva ring light

Brilliant thanks just taking a look online, i have found a few places but it is better with referals. I am wanting to do bridal and special occasions. I am looking into it over qnd over but just dont know where to start with going to college or doing a fast track course. Thanks, do u have Instagram for your business?

Hiya yes it is beautytreatsjo x

If you do get a camera I recommend getting a lens with a low f-stop. If you want a bit more info I'll explain! I am SO glad I got a new camera it just makes my make ups look so much better - and I get more bookings!!
What's a 'low f-stop'? :/
I'm looking into getting a new camera to photograph my makeup. I have no idea what to look for. Any tips would be really appreciated. Thank you. Xxx

What's a 'low f-stop'? :/
I'm looking into getting a new camera to photograph my makeup. I have no idea what to look for. Any tips would be really appreciated. Thank you. Xxx
Its hard to explain but it basically allows the lens to accept more light, focuses on the face and blurs the background. The lower the f stop the blurry the background. My standard lens went down to f3.5 but the lower the better.

My camera is a nikon d3200 with a f1.8 lens.

I'll upload a picture so you can see what I mean x

image.jpeg

Can anyone help me. I want to do an intense smokey eye on crease, but when I get to crease, it never seems as dark as what I'd like it, is there any tips to help me for that intense dark colour on crease please ? X

Have you tried using Mac fix + spray to intensify your shadows? I LOVE it. Just spray a small amount onto the back of your hand, dampen your brush and apply the shadow. It boosts the colour and as its a fixing spray keeps it in place too. Hope this helps x

Have you tried using Mac fix + spray to intensify your shadows? I LOVE it. Just spray a small amount onto the back of your hand, dampen your brush and apply the shadow. It boosts the colour and as its a fixing spray keeps it in place too. Hope this helps x

Would you do this just for the crease colour though ? I usually do it for the lid but not actually thought about it for the crease. Like a really dark matte black, I love urban decays black but it always looks more washed out than what I want x

Latest posts

Back