Making A Profit Regardless Of The Economy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccakepple

Reaction score
Our world is in financial turmoil and businesses small and large are going crazy. More and more people are feeling that the faster the economy declines the harder it is to keep their business afloat. Unfortunately for the small business owner, some of them will fail during these economic tops.

However, some businesses will find the silver lining in the cloud and they will fly.

The businesses that will survive during tough economic times are the ones who employ a successful, ‘get smart’ marketing campaign. These businesses will look at what they are doing everyday, analyze which marketing techniques work and which don't. Then focus on the marketing techniques that will bring in the profits and those only.

The key to this style of marketing is to not get greedy. Let us say for instance your business does a marketing campaign which includes mailers or flyers. The marketing campaign costs $200 and returned $500 in sales. The total profit for this marketing campaign is $300.

Many businesses may look at this and think ‘gosh, I don’t want to spend the money it will cost me just in case’, or ‘gosh, that isn’t much return’. But the smart ones, look at that profit exponentially.

For example, if you walked into a business and that business owner offered you a tree for $200 but that tree had five hundred $1 bills on it, how many would you buy? Any sane person would buy every tree in the store because with every purchase there is an instant $300 profit.

This is the same way you should look at a marketing campaign that makes you money for your clinic, salon, spa or therapy practice. Though $300 in profit may seem small, if that marketing technique works over and over again those profits will add up.

Now let's take the same idea and make a bigger...

Your $200 mailing provided $300 in profit. What if you took that mailing an expanded the number of people who received that marketing information? You can focus and even streamline your marketing techniques by sector of the population, age, and economic background.

Sending out the same $200 worth of mailers to a young population with a really good introductory offer for your hair, beauty or alterative health or therapy services will provide your business with $300 in profit. And then you could send out the same set of mailers to an older population with a certain offer discount aiming in that mailer toward the needs they have and again you'll see $300 in profit.

Do you see the pattern here? The more mailers you send out that make a profit, the more money you’ll have in your bank account and the less you will feel the global financial crisis.

If you want your health or beauty business to succeed in tough economic times, then focus more on what you can do and the profits you can make and less on what the media are saying. This will keep your business alive while others are failing.

With words flying around the well-being business community like ‘global financial crisis’, ‘recession’, and ‘bad economy’ your clinic or practice needs to find a marketing and advertising campaign that fits within your budget and still provides a substantial profit.

Whether you do beauty, therapy, homeopathy, life coaching, hairdressing, or any other any holistic or complementary therapies, you can profit by simply changing your thinking. By thinking that every dollar of revenue above and beyond that which you spend, is a worthy profit. Even smaller profits repeated over and over are nonetheless profits.

well timed article Rebecca, thank you.

Excellent I use these practices all the time, I always invest in my existing happy clients rather than offering discount services to new ones.

Excellent Thabk you xx

Hi Rebecca!

What if you try and the $200.00 just keeps being paid out with no return? Then what next??

Hiya!

If you're not making a profit on the marketing, then I'd definitley suggest either changing or stopping that particular bit of marketing! If you're spending $200 and getting more than that back, great. But if you're not getting any return at all then there isn't any benefit to carrying on doing it.

Have you thought about perhaps testing different parts of the marketing and seeing which bits are getting results and which aren't? Obviously depends on what method you're using (ie posters, flyers, emails, letters, radio, vouchers etc) but you could do things like change the headline, the offer, the text, the images... to see if a this brings a better return for you perhaps. I've found that even things like the paper and the font can make a massive difference as to how many people take notice of the marketing.
Totally depends on what you're doing and what your goals are but might help... If not, I vote cut it and try something different to attract new clients. No point spending money on marketing that isn't working for you.

Hope this helps! What does everyone else think?

Rebecca :)

Good article. I'm always a little intimidated by marketing.

Latest posts

Back