Manicure chair recommendations needed for my poor back and neck

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennypenny1972

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Having only become a nail tech at the ripe old age of 40, I’m now 5 years in and whilst I love my work and can’t imagine doing anything else now, my shoulder, neck and upper back disagree!! I’m having to spend a lot of money on physio every week at the moment, just to help mobilise my neck and shoulders so I’m not in loads of pain.

I know that having a decent chair could work wonders, but I don’t know what type to go for. In my new home salon, I bought myself a high backed office style chair which I thought would be good, but even with a pillow behind me, I still lean forwards as the arms hit the desk meaning I can’t bring it any nearer. I’m therefore leaning forward, usually resting on my right arm and very quickly have neck and shoulder pain and if I do a few clients in a row, my upper back burns a bit too.

I need to get this remedied before the craziness of the festive season hits! Any recommendations?

Thanks, Jen x

I’ve got a kneeling chair from Amazon, was about £55 I still get shoulder pain but no where near as bad.

I’ve also tried a saddle stool but I found it made my lower back ache xxx

If your office chair is similar to the one I used to use for nails then you can unscrew the arms and remove them.
I've recently purchased this chair from Ellisons - very comfy and height adjustable

EST6004CB - Esthetix comfort chair, brown

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1510751557.616820.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't get one with a kneeling chair, it hurt my knees. That said I'm not convinced I ever got it set up right despite hours of adjusting and changing it. It either hurt my knees or put pressure on my bum, or wasn't high enough. So I gave up.

I'm a bugger for planting my left elbow on my nail desk then leaning on it whilst I work, it's resulted in some pretty nasty shoulder, elbow and neck pain so I have to be really aware of not doing it. The best advice I was given was to make sure you are lower than you client. Set your chair much lower than you think you need it. That prevents you from resting your weight on your arms and you're not bending down to see the clients hands, they are closer to your head than your waist.

And definitely get a chair without arms so you can pull it closer to the table.

I couldn't get one with a kneeling chair, it hurt my knees. That said I'm not convinced I ever got it set up right despite hours of adjusting and changing it. It either hurt my knees or put pressure on my bum, or wasn't high enough. So I gave up.

I'm a bugger for planting my left elbow on my nail desk then leaning on it whilst I work, it's resulted in some pretty nasty shoulder, elbow and neck pain so I have to be really aware of not doing it. The best advice I was given was to make sure you are lower than you client. Set your chair much lower than you think you need it. That prevents you from resting your weight on your arms and you're not bending down to see the clients hands, they are closer to your head than your waist.

And definitely get a chair without arms so you can pull it closer to the table.

That's funny, I always like to sit a bit higher than my client.... obviously my superiority complex [emoji18][emoji12]

Latest posts

Back