Masquerade Shellac coverage - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainiac

Reaction score
So I did a shellac manicure yesterday in Masquerade. It's the first time I have used this colour. The colour is beautiful but I struggled with the application. Applying a thin coat, I just couldn't seem to get it to brush down the nail nicely at all. Kept having to go back to the bottle for more, whereas with all the other colours they have gone on beautifully. Then last night I get a txt saying one of the nails has completely peeled off! So now I'm wondering if I applied it too thickly? I know you need to use thin coats with shellac and I didn't think they were too thick, but usually I have enough on my brush to do the nail, but with this colour it just wasn't happening!

I have done the shellac course and am using all the correct procedure and products my other clients are getting between 2 and 3 weeks out of theirs, so I am really disheartened that this has happened. Does anyone else struggle with this colour? Any ideas how to get a Better coverage?

I am re-doing the nail this evening - any help/advice would be great.

Hiya, I bought a new bottle of this recently and the brush is definitely thinner than it used to be, it used to go on lovely but I used it on a lady with long nails and found it a little challenging. I gave the polish a good stir, and it seemed to be more consistent.
The next time I used it, I gave it a good shake beforehand and put it between my legs whilst I was doing removal and prep, to warm it up, definitely helped with consistency, but still would like the old thicker brush back! x

Hiya, I bought a new bottle of this recently and the brush is definitely thinner than it used to be, it used to go on lovely but I used it on a lady with long nails and found it a little challenging. I gave the polish a good stir, and it seemed to be more consistent.
The next time I used it, I gave it a good shake beforehand and put it between my legs whilst I was doing removal and prep, to warm it up, definitely helped with consistency, but still would like the old thicker brush back! x

I had a problem with it in vinylux but thought it was just me trying to apply it like I would shellac! X

Give a good stir with a spatula or orange wood stick. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Funny you should say that, i have a bottle of Blackpool that has a really thin brush and actually that was a bit of a pain to apply aswell. I did a shellac in blush teddy yesterday and that went on beautifully... Think I'll go and have a look at that brush and see if there's any difference.

I had a problem with it in vinylux but thought it was just me trying to apply it like I would shellac! X

I love the vinylux of masquerade, that goes on lovely for me. Maybe yes you were applying to too thinly and that's why you had problems. You have to work quickly with vinylux also.

Give a good stir with a spatula or orange wood stick. Xx

I shook it really well, should I be stirring all my new bottles before I use them? x

I tend to give them a stir as sometimes the colour pigment settles in the bottom. I tend to stir more than shake, especially when I get to the bottom of a colour. Hth xx

I shook it really well, should I be stirring all my new bottles before I use them? x

I always stir mine well before using them as they can settle over time. I don't shake mine, instead I roll it between my hands and then turn it upside down and roll it again

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know with polishes you should roll them but with shellac I was told to shake. Have given my masquerade a good stir, am going to re-do the lifted nail later this evening, so will see if it applies any better now. I still can't understand why the whole nail lifted off though, first time it's happened to me! Thanks for all your help x

Just to update...
Saw my client last night, and it wasn't that the whole nail had peeled off, it was just a section at the front, she said she had a bath and it came off. Am thinking maybe she caught it and ripped it off, but I re did that nail so will see if it happens again. Hopefully not! x

Latest posts

Back