Massage complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you've had some great advice on here. I would just add the following.
If you take her moaning, personal contact, 10 paragraphs etc out of the equation, what you have is a client who wasn't happy with her treatment. Rightly or wrongly, she should have said at the time. She should have made them aware and so on. But ultimately she's unhappy. I would personally try and win her round with either a complimentary treatment (whilst admitting no liability as there is none to admit) or a voucher towards a treatment.

She has come to your salon and she may come back. She may be the best client ever - and she may not. But if you make her happy, she will tell everyone. If you don't, she'll tell everyone.

This doesn't sound like an insurance claim or a scam, it just sounds like she's letting you know.

To us, our treatments are common place. To many they're a bit "mystical". We do clients for facials or massages who are scared. They've never had it done. They don't know what's right or wrong. They don't know what "firm" pressure is compared to gentle.

I would personally offer her a free treatment that you're sure she'll enjoy.

Well done for taking a little time to think it over. Knee jerk reactions can land us all in trouble xxx

Thanks for your message. Totally appreciate the fact that we should always make sure clients are happy and that a bad review can be terrible.
However I don't like the message this gives the staff. They work on commission so whoever has to give that 'free' treatment won't earn any. As a team the girls are more than happy to do that if there's been a problem but I rarely do this if the client is in the wrong.

I don't think this particular client realised but it was me that took her payment. I asked if she enjoyed the treatment and she said 'yes I needed that'. She said in the message that as soon as she left she had to find the first place she could to sit down to take a painkiller. However when I took her payment we chatted about our loyalty point system, she asked questions about it and I asked if she wanted to rebook she said she would do so via Facebook.

I am really upset if she went away in pain, and I don't think she's lying, however she had so much opportunity to say something. She certainly didn't look as traumatised as she's made out when paying at reception!
I know it's awkward and embarrassing, but just a simple 'that pressure is too much' or filling out her consultation form correctly would have avoided all of this.
So it just makes me question why we should give a free treatment, we're a business and I'm generally someone that would only do something like this if we were completely at fault.

ME doesn't mean that massage can't go ahead. That aside, this is not a client that I would want to be dealing with based on her uncomfortable methods of communication.

So this afternoon I started to type up my reply and then the client sent the message again but this time to the salons email address.
She edited it slightly saying that she had sent me a message to my personal account and that I hadn't replied and that she has been left very sore and bruised (along with the rest of the 10paragraph message)
I decided to ring my insurance company before posting a reply as didn't want to say anything wrong!
I wasn't sure what the client wanted so thought she's probably not going to be happy with my response so just wanted another opinion.
My insurance company were lovely and agreed that the therapist is not a mind reader and that we sounded like a good salon, keeping up to date records etc.
Anyway, she told me that I should not respond!
She said I shouldn't offer a free treatment and I said shall I just respond but not mention anything for free and after checking with her manager said not to say anything.
Totally respect them and they certainly know what they're doing. Just feel like ignoring the client may make it worse!
But then so might my reply?!
Argghhh!

So this afternoon I started to type up my reply and then the client sent the message again but this time to the salons email address.
She edited it slightly saying that she had sent me a message to my personal account and that I hadn't replied and that she has been left very sore and bruised (along with the rest of the 10paragraph message)
I decided to ring my insurance company before posting a reply as didn't want to say anything wrong!
I wasn't sure what the client wanted so thought she's probably not going to be happy with my response so just wanted another opinion.
My insurance company were lovely and agreed that the therapist is not a mind reader and that we sounded like a good salon, keeping up to date records etc.
Anyway, she told me that I should not respond!
She said I shouldn't offer a free treatment and I said shall I just respond but not mention anything for free and after checking with her manager said not to say anything.
Totally respect them and they certainly know what they're doing. Just feel like ignoring the client may make it worse!
But then so might my reply?!
Argghhh!
I would reply.

Very strange advice, I wonder why they suggested that.

I would respond:
Hi, I don't receive salon e-mails out of salon time.

I am sorry you have had this experience, I have checked the consultation forms and spoken with the masseuse and we were unaware of your illness which is why we ask these questions so we know how to treat you. The masseuse also confirms as you have done that the pressure was ok for you.

I do hope you would trust us in coming to the salon again some time and we could adjust the treatment to your specific needs.

Thanks I have a whole a4 sheet of reply to send her!
I'm not sure, maybe it's because whatever I say she probably won't be happy with?! I'm not sure. Feel like I can't not reply though?
They said about if it were a claim I can't have direct contact...I'm not sure I feel like it's going to make it worse not replying? But then again I'm not sure that what I have to say is going to make her feel any better?!

Hmm, I think I would reply despite your insurers advice.
I think what Emily said is spot on. It's polite but not claiming any liability at all, which of course you shouldn't. Your therapist did everything correctly.

I'm wondering if I should just call her? That way I've not sent her anything in writing.

It's so upsetting. I feel like as soon as I email her there's not a hope in hell that she'll respond saying 'ah ok no worries thanks anyway!'
It's going to be more complaints and picking at everything I say, why do clients do this :-( dreading the days to come

Do not call as this type of response for this sort of complaint should be done in writing in case things really kick off with her and evidence of conversations are required by the insurer.

The therapist's manager needs to manage this and this what managers are there for.

She or he needs to discus with you how to move this complaint forward with a positive outcome for both you and customer.

A manager unwilling to address a complaint does not have the best interest of the company and its customers at heart.

Not responding to this woman will be worse than responding to her. You need to know after all, what sort of outcome she is wanting from this or is she just venting?!

I would contact her via your business account and confirm that you have received her email and will be looking into her complaint and you or the therapists manager will get back to her in xx amount of days.

This will give you more time to sort out a response and to get the therapists manager on board with being more professional and customer friendly!!!

When you do respond in full keep it short and to the point. An full page of A4 is too long.

Make clear though that you can only respond to email via work email and not private Facebook etc, as this sets boundaries with her.

Yeah, this is awkward, I'm not sure who you think I am but, I am the manager.

I'm not unwilling to address the matter I came here looking for advice. And as stated I was told by my insurance not to reply however, again like I said, I am going to reply.
I feel I am professional and customer friendly! However my business has never had a complaint of this kind and rarely gets complaints at all so luckily I don't have much experience dealing with them . I thought this was what this forum was for?

Last edited:
Yeah, this is awkward, I'm not sure who you think I am but, I am the manager.

I'm not unwilling to address the matter I came here looking for advice. And as stated I was told by my insurance not to reply however, again like I said, I am going to reply.
I feel I am professional and customer friendly! However my business has never had a complaint of this kind and rarely gets complaints at all so luckily I don't have much experience dealing with them . I thought this was what this forum was for?

This It is what this forum is for, but havling re read your post. Surly it is unprofessional of the insurance company to recommend you to do nothing (not you).

I would be looking for a new insurer as they clearly don't have your best interests at heart and are unwilling to help you in this situation.

In all cases I like to get things in writing definitely as the spoken word is hard to prove.

Regardless of whether you look to change your insurer in the future, for the moment this is who you are insured with. Having rung them for advice, and been given it, I would check whether going against that advice is not going to invalidate your insurance before doing anything else or communicating with this woman.

Although for the life of me I can't see why she didn't declare her condition, nor speak up when asked about pressure etc, and it would seem your therapist did nothing wrong. Poor thing.

I wonder what the client is after here? She clearly doesn't like face to face contact as she has gone out of her way to avoid coming in to the salon. Unless she wanted to keep everything in writing too?

I would normally be one to try and keep the client sweet but in this situation I feel that offering anything to her now is like an admission of guilt so I personally would avoid that.

Good luck.

I wouldn't call. Keep everything in writing so nothing can be twisted later on (if it gets to that).
By having everything written down, everything she and you have said can be referred back to.
I find the whole thing really weird tbh, I cannot understand why she wouldn't declare any of her conditions, or tell your therapist that she was in discomfort? And then to contact your personal Facebook page? Strange.
Just email her back; make it polite, concise and professional. You never know, she really might purely be wanting to let you know and that's all? Good luck.

I wouldn't call. Keep everything in writing so nothing can be twisted later on (if it gets to that).
By having everything written down, everything she and you have said can be referred back to.
I find the whole thing really weird tbh, I cannot understand why she wouldn't declare any of her conditions, or tell your therapist that she was in discomfort? And then to contact your personal Facebook page? Strange.
Just email her back; make it polite, concise and professional. You never know, she really might purely be wanting to let you know and that's all? Good luck.

Yes fingers crossed!
It is weird isn't it?! If it's that bad (and she made out like it was torture) then why not just say?!
We're not mind readers?

Anyway I've sent a reply and anxiously awaiting her response....

It depends if the insurance have experience in this I suppose. If you ignore I guess they are hoping she'll get bored and go away rather than play very long message ping pong potentially making it worse. They know that if you ignore she has little option but to go to a solicitor to contact you on her behalf which I would guess she is unlikely to do that. Upto you what you do but bear in mind insurance may have their reasons and also check like someone else says if going against their advise will invalidate anything.

I think as a precaution, you should stress that although the massage is done in a way to not treat preexisting problems. The best course of action to preempt this to recommend a osteopath for such treatments in future. I personally think its unfair to say this afterwards, and to not mention it at all- she put herself at risk.

This was what I said to her:

Hi (client)

Many thanks for your feedback, please note that all queries regarding (business name) must be dealt with via the businesses contact system, I hope you understand.

I’m sorry to hear that you found your treatment to be such a disappointment.
I have spoken to (therapist) regarding this matter as it is our policy that any form of complaint is discussed with the therapist to ensure that any issues that need to be raised are done so immediately.

(therapist) was very upset to hear that you left in pain and that you felt you weren’t able to fully communicate your discomfort. She has a very firm pressure and has a loyal following of regular clients that request this kind of massage, and has never had a complaint of this nature before.
This type of firm massage can feel uncomfortable which is often worked through according to the clients’ tolerance levels in order to ease knots and strains, and depending on each individual, bruising can sometimes be a side effect to a deep massage.

That being said, (therapist) feels absolutely terrible at the thought you were finding it so uncomfortable and she did not realise that the pressure was no longer bearable, otherwise she would have of course altered the pressure to your liking.
I understand that some people may feel uncomfortable letting their therapist know that they would like their massage pressure altered however we highly encourage it which is why all therapists are trained to ask their client at least once about the pressure.
It would never be seen as a personal or offensive comment, and we can assure you that you would not have been judged on any preference you had made. This way we can ensure we are able to give you the best service possible.
(therapist) and I are concerned about your comments as you gave no indication of your ME or Fibromyalgia to her neither during the treatment, nor on your consultation form that I asked you to fill out upon arrival.
These pre-existing medical conditions are restrictive contra-indications, meaning that if (therapist) had known about them, then she would have adapted the massage to take into account the affects an intense massage may have on your body.

I have since added these medical notes to your record card and I can only offer my apologies on behalf of myself and (therapist) that our services did not meet your expectations this time.

Thanks again for your feedback

I think that sounds perfect x

Perfect thorough and concise response!

Has she responded to you Jemima?

[emoji171]

Latest posts

Back