Massage Geeks: suggestions needed for keeping on top of stress induced muscle aches

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
Massage Geeks I could do with some suggestions on how to keep a feeling of general wellbeing physically in regards to back, shoulder and neck aches.

I know that this is general work stress from my other job and I also know that this is not something I can solve enough to prevent this problem, because it's not a particular issue, it is just the way it is.

So to gain some relief physically, would you think that regular massages are called for? If so, what would you suggest would be the best way to go about it in terms of how regular I should have them and the type of massage?

When I've had them before on the odd occasion and I fill out the record card, I get nervous about selecting the degree and have only gone as far as selecting medium in case it hurts, but to be honest I really feel like I want someone to get stuck in to these knots and feel like it's done something for them.

Any advice greatly received. :)

Hi Nicole
I would ring around a few places and tell them what you have said here, you are wanting a muscle melting massage specifically to target tension, but you are worried about it hurting, so could you get a bespoke massage to tick all your boxes.

look for a massage therapist that offers a range of massages rather than someone that only offers one type of massage. Why? it means that they can offer more of a personalised treatment by using the different skills they have learnt on the different courses.

I would start with swedish massage, and maybe then do trigger point, deep tissue work, use essential oils to continue the work for me and even possibly reach for some chinese cups or bamboo, or bring in heat treatments such as hot compresses, hot stone or Himalayan salt stones. Sports type massages can help release tension but imo can be too firm too quickly.

Hope that helps and not confused matters.

tips:
1. go to a massage therapist not a beauty salon.
2. check they offer more than one type of massage (one massage skill doesn't fit all).
3. email or ring them and tell them what you have said here, if the therapist spends time answering and suggesting different techniques, then go with them.
4. when you get there remind them that although you want them to get in to the knots, you don't want a painful treatment.

If you've got rounded shoulders & upperback/neck ache it might be worth booking a PT or private pilates session for an hour to show you some strengthening exercises & stretches for your upper back, to pull your shoulders back & correct your posture. Combined with some good massage it should set you up for the long term x

Thank you both so much, I feel a lot better about finding the right treatment now.

I'm thinking about going back to my Physiotherapist too as it seems my shoulder problem has resurfaced lately and I know it wont subside on it's own, it'll only get worse.

Thank you :hug:

Latest posts

Back