Massage on large people

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutekitten88

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

Not long now till I qualify in body massage :) so am thinking about going mobile within the next month, I have everything ready, but I wandered if any of you guys have experienced any big clients wanting a massage, and worried that they may break your massage couch. How do you go about telling your client they cannot use your bed as it won't hold their weight? I feel this is a very touchy subject?

Hi geeks!

Not long now till I qualify in body massage :) so am thinking about going mobile within the next month, I have everything ready, but I wandered if any of you guys have experienced any big clients wanting a massage, and worried that they may break your massage couch. How do you go about telling your client they cannot use your bed as it won't hold their weight? I feel this is a very touchy subject?

Considering obesity is on the rise ....

Would a twenty stone person want a massage? They probably would find it too uncomfortable to be fair. What is the weight capability of your bed. It probably isn't far off 17 stone as it is.

Failing that let them get on it and when it disintegrates to the floor say 'Oh well we tried' just watch your back trying to get them up. ... said in a lighthearted way from someone that is not slim!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Buy a sturdy bed, but then if your are doing it mobile it may be far too heavy for you to carry around. Is it just body massage you are qualifying in? Indian head massage is mostly a seated massage so could be something you could offer instead? I have had larger clients and yes I do worry but mine seems to be fine.

It is a very touchy subject to talk about but then as Virtues said something rather obese would probably not want a massage anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have had this problem! A lady came for an eyebrow shape and I am not exaggerating when I say that she was a good 25 plus stone. My couch creaked in an unusual way when she got on and I found I was holding my breath. BUT! It held her and all was well. Unfortunately she found my stairs a bit difficult so she didn't return (she was sweating and gasping just coming from the car outside the front door and up a normal set of stairs for a one storey house). I really hope she's in better health now, she was a lovely lady!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to have a very light weight aluminium couch that advertised it took up to 30 stone in weight. It was very expensive but very good.

When I turned up to do a massage on a very large lady she looked at my couch with a worried expression and actually asked if it would take her weight. I confidently said "it takes up to 30 stone and you're not that, so hop on". So began a beautiful friendship and over 15 years on she comes to me regularly for treatments. Larger clients often love a bit of pampering and if you can do it well and with confidence, while making them feel comfortable, they won't go anywhere else!

I would ask the couch suppliers what the weight limit is, rather than using guesswork.

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi geeks!

I worry about this too as some of my clients are larger ladies. I have an electric couch so I rang the distributors to see what they advised. I was told......as with most couches the total loading is 20 stone.......it is a difficult thing to broach I think. x

I just can not see how anyone over 20 stone would even want a massage, women more so than men. I'm no where near 20 stone but I feel uncomfortable laying on my front and lay me flat on my back and I'm like a turtle on its shell flapping is legs about because it can't turn itself over. What a picture.

Realistically are people that have massage bigger than this?

As has been said, Virtues, it's a difficult subject to broach. "What do you ACTUALLY weigh????" You can imagine the clients face.

Now think of the client. She/he has gathered the courage to come for a treatment, and you make them feel totally comfortable. You lower your electric couch to make climbing on easier, your towels are large enough to give them privacy, and your couch is wide enough that their arms don't fall off - or you carefully tuck them in with the towel, and carefully placed pillows can support the body.They have a fabulous treatment, because naturally, you are a fabulous therapist, and you have made them feel totally comfortable. They will never go anywhere else!

I would never but a couch from ebay I'm afraid. This is one of the most important spends for your business - and your back. Buy an excellent couch, give excellent treatments and make your clients - little or large - feel fab!

I estimate my largest lady to be in the region of 24 stone, but would never ask!

Vicki x

My largest massage client is just over 19 stone. My little portable massage couch holds her weight (with just the odd creak) week in week out for almost 9 months now.

To begin with she found it extremely uncomfortable to lay on her front, and I used to prop thin pillows under her boobs. Over time she has become a little more supple, and now finds the couch comfy enough that she falls asleep, every single week, without fail!

She was referred to find a massage therapist to help with her poor circulation, by her gp. She had tried 2 ladies before finding me, and said she felt very uncomfortable as both had made comments regarding maximum weight of their beds :sad:

She is a lovely lady, and a very loyal client. I was aware that the maximum weight for my bed was 22 stone, and had just checked the weight she put on her consultation form discreetly!

So my advice is to check the maximum weight of your bed, and make sure your massage consultation forms ask for current height and weight. This way, you dont need to mention weight at all ... unless of course the client exceeds your maximum weight!

I once did a hot stone massage on a VERY large lady. I started with 12 stones and finished with 5. I still to this day have never recovered them.

I just can not see how anyone over 20 stone would even want a massage, women more so than men. I'm no where near 20 stone but I feel uncomfortable laying on my front and lay me flat on my back and I'm like a turtle on its shell flapping is legs about because it can't turn itself over. What a picture.

Realistically are people that have massage bigger than this?

why wouldn't they want a massage?

just because you're fat doesn't mean you don't need relaxing!

some bigger people are quite agile and flexible so moving around on the couch isn't a problem for them

if you know what your couch can hold and use common sense I don't see what the problem is

Invest in a good quality sturdy strong one

To me - money is money - it doesn't matter who or what you are or what you look like - if you want a treatment and have the money - I'm there lol

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a couch already but need to find the instructions to see how much the couch can take in weight. It has a metal frame so hoping it is better than a wooden frame. Am asking on advice as my dad is over 20stone but doesn't look it. He's never been on my couch but has on my cousins and it had a snapping sound as if it was going to break. So you never no with clients how the bed will take just worried incase they break my bed as it's very expensive. What would you guys do if the client did break your couch? Or has this happened to anyone before?

I did my final massage assessment on a 24 stone client. I find larger clients easier to massage.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a couch already but need to find the instructions to see how much the couch can take in weight. It has a metal frame so hoping it is better than a wooden frame. Am asking on advice as my dad is over 20stone but doesn't look it. He's never been on my couch but has on my cousins and it had a snapping sound as if it was going to break. So you never no with clients how the bed will take just worried incase they break my bed as it's very expensive. What would you guys do if the client did break your couch? Or has this happened to anyone before?

I suppose if your equipment is insured and in good condition and if the Client did not exceed the maximum weight limit for your bed then you could probably claim for repairs on insurance? Otherwise you would have to bear the cost of repair yourself. The other probably more important thought is if the bed breaks and the Client is hurt in someway they could then claim off the Therapist.

Considering obesity is on the rise ....

Would a twenty stone person want a massage? They probably would find it too uncomfortable to be fair. What is the weight capability of your bed. It probably isn't far off 17 stone as it is.

Failing that let them get on it and when it disintegrates to the floor say 'Oh well we tried' just watch your back trying to get them up. ... said in a lighthearted way from someone that is not slim!

I would guess a larger person would enjoy and benefit from a massage equally to a slimmer bld person

a water bed could perhaps distribute the load better ...but with dramatic consequence's if it bursts :eek::lol::lol:

alternatively maybe a stack of house bricks under the couch could work better :wink2:

I guess that even given massage oil coverage and with the couch coming crashing down the customer aint gonna slip out the front door and end up under the number 61 bus to the town centre ...unless of course there double doors :eek::lol::lol:

Last edited:
It was a question that interested me to be honest, it seems that 20 stone plus people do enjoy massage. As a nation we are not getting smaller. The beds will be made stronger to support the demand I would think. I don't provide massage so I wasn't really sure if people of a certain weight would go just due to a lack of self confidence or being too uncomfortable. I suppose everyone is different. Thanks for your replies.

I think you really do need to cater for larger people too.

My massage couch was from a company from health line, its wooden, and "portable" although very heavy still (around 18kg) im mobile and do manage to carry it around all day. Its extremely sturdy and holds 35 stone (the manufacturers told me this). It wasnt overly expensive either. I think it was around £150-£200 inc delivery around 8 years ago.

I have larger clients all the time and its never made a single creak.

I find that larger clients do still want treatments, as they can be prone to back ache, and knee ache etc caused by there weight.

Also as a larger lady myself, iv never had any problems lying on my front, lying on my back, getting on and off the couch etc, and have always been really flexible, and generally fit and healthy.

Some bigger people will feel too self concious for massage but they may still want a facial, or brow wax, so a sturdy couch is definately a worth while investment.

All my clients comment on how sturdy and comfy it is, and im able to put them at ease by saying confidently that it will hold them.

I wouldn't massage someone overly obese. I'd be terrified the bed broke, but more so about their breathing lying down for so long. Could you not massage them sitting up in a chair? I'm Indian head massage trained as well as full body massage. I'd be more inclined to massage them in a tub chair. You can easily access the back from the bra line up. X

Gosh I do hope your clients don't read some of the comments on here about being over weight.

Now I really understand why people can be intimidated coming to salons for massage and other treatments.

Should ugly people not have facials ?

Gosh I do hope your clients don't read some of the comments on here about being over weight.

Now I really understand why people can be intimidated coming to salons for massage and other treatments.

Should ugly people not have facials ?

It's preferable.

Latest posts

Back