Master Painter, Do I or don't I

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My personal feeling of it is that it's a pass or fail course, you are taught techniques on the various courses needed in the run up to the Master. My ea encouraged me and felt I was ready from the work she had seen. This is an assessment of what you can do. If you are not good at pep, application etc then you will not pass. As for the learning aspect, I think you learn on all courses regardless of the level of class you are doing xx

So the pre courses are where you learn in order to then 'take' your Master painter? So it's more about assessment on the day of MP then?

Yes, the Master is the ultimate skill certificate, whether painter, architect or sculptor. The morning was incredibly stressful with theory & assessments, the afternoon was lighter and we learnt more nail art techniques too xx

Sounds much more like the kind of course I thought I was going to be taking.

Concerned that you took your course months before me yet I was taught none of this. We got told at the begining of our class to do 5 french and 5 red on a colour wheel, we all did them in old CND polish and very quickly thinking we were using them as a base for something then discarded them until the end where they were briefly looked over and at the time I thought thank god because we did them in less than a minute bit now I wish we had been asked to do it as if on a client and been assessed.

I am glad I've got my certificate but although I'm confident in my ability I don't feel I earned it that day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Playing devils advocate here, all the people that went to The Event, that hadn't done ALL the pre-requisites were still able to complete the Master Painter. I was initially told I had to do my Shellac brings them back, Arts & Styles & then I could take my Masters. But it seems for that weekend it didn't matter, so for me, I'm sorry it's a no go, just not something I want to do.

I am really worried now, when I did my shellac brings em back course I enquired about doing a brisa smoothing gel course and my ea said she only did that now as part of the masters course, so I merrily went ahead and booked the masters. Reading all this I don't think I will pass a masters course yet as I have only just started doing shellac! Maybe I should just loose my deposit rather than spending out on all the kit needed for the masters and the rest of the course cost. I didn't realise it was pass or fail, I thought it was just to learn the more in depth stuff like additives, art and smoothing gel. :-/

There is a brisa lite smoothing course, I know quite a few of my friends have done it and I would recommend it if your not confident. They did their shellac course then the brisa lite smoothing and then arts n style (obviously not all together)

I personally wouldn't have wanted to do my master without the others as you should be able to do a good neat shellac, good neat brisa lite smoothing with base and top coat on own and then do different art types. The courses lead you up towards your masters.

I was advised by my EA I was ready and i know she would have said if i wasnt ready to do it but I'm glad I waited, was doing shellac for nearly a year before I did my masters last week.

Playing devils advocate here, all the people that went to The Event, that hadn't done ALL the pre-requisites were still able to complete the Master Painter. I was initially told I had to do my Shellac brings them back, Arts & Styles & then I could take my Masters. But it seems for that weekend it didn't matter, so for me, I'm sorry it's a no go, just not something I want to do.

I can't even get an agreement by both parties what the prerequisites are! I'm told no arts and styles and also told definitely arts and styles. The girl on the phone at S2 said don't worry about it, it's us that you book it through. I really wouldn't want to turn up and be told, sorry you can't do it!

To do your master painter you must do your shellac bring em back and personally I would advise doing the art n style... But that's jmo

Sounds much more like the kind of course I thought I was going to be taking.

Concerned that you took your course months before me yet I was taught none of this. We got told at the begining of our class to do 5 french and 5 red on a colour wheel, we all did them in old CND polish and very quickly thinking we were using them as a base for something then discarded them until the end where they were briefly looked over and at the time I thought thank god because we did them in less than a minute bit now I wish we had been asked to do it as if on a client and been assessed.

I am glad I've got my certificate but although I'm confident in my ability I don't feel I earned it that day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

That does not sound right at all zooks, I can see why you feel a tad miffed with it. We worked on each other on my course. I did the same course as Rebecca describes with Kate in Cheltenham, only I did mine in April a few months after Rebecca did hers with Kate. Xx

I can't even get an agreement by both parties what the prerequisites are! I'm told no arts and styles and also told definitely arts and styles. The girl on the phone at S2 said don't worry about it, it's us that you book it through. I really wouldn't want to turn up and be told, sorry you can't do it!

I was told both by my EA and by S2 I had to do the arts and styles before I could do my MP. I said that's fine I've done it so can I book, s2 then checked my account before they booked me on it to check I wasn't fibbing. When I got to my course I was a tad miffed because put of the 4 of us there I was the only one who had done the art and styles course!

It definitely is something everyone needs to be on the same page about, do you or do you not need it. In my opinion yes you do need it, if you are doing it all with the same educator like the majority of us do it gives them the chance to assess your skills prior to booking the MP so you know you are on the right track and that you should pass! Xx

Thanks Steph, so you are assessed on artistic things too as well as Shellac application? By the way, it was S2 who told me that I don't need Arts and Styles.

I've looked into doing the master painter and S2 has advised me to attend Art and Style first although they never said it was a pre requisite sounded more like it was my choice.

Can someone tell me if you pay the art and style course in full when you book or leave a deposit?

Thanks x

You pay a percentage to S2 and the rest on the day to your educator.

I've just got my Master Painter status via the same class as Maz and Melissa.
Ruth Fordham was our educator, and there really was a definite pass/fail aura to the class. Like competitions you had to do PEP,French and red polish with your model in a timed setting. Our work and technique was checked thoroughly. Our product knowledge was tested extensively. The afternoon session was more on the creative side, and an opportunity to learn more whilst demonstrate our artistic flare.

I definitely feel more confident and learnt a lot, but definitely know I can charge more, and putting Master Painter on your business cards and literature is a great feeling!

I'd say to anyone, go for it xxx

That does not sound right at all zooks, I can see why you feel a tad miffed with it. We worked on each other on my course. I did the same course as Rebecca describes with Kate in Cheltenham, only I did mine in April a few months after Rebecca did hers with Kate. Xx

Hmm well one of the Sams contacted me after I posted this and I have responded. I am not one for complaining (usually!) but I am incredibly miffed with this. I even contacted another rep twice, she is my next closest rep, and have heard NOTHING back.

I will see what gets sent back now but I am not happy, for the money I paid I would have expected all the courses to be as everyone is describing above.

I am not in this to stir trouble, purely to share my experience. If the classes are set to a certain standard as you Geeks all seem to have enjoyed then mine was most certainly not.

Hmm well one of the Sams contacted me after I posted this and I have responded. I am not one for complaining (usually!) but I am incredibly miffed with this. I even contacted another rep twice, she is my next closest rep, and have heard NOTHING back.

I will see what gets sent back now but I am not happy, for the money I paid I would have expected all the courses to be as everyone is describing above.

I am not in this to stir trouble, purely to share my experience. If the classes are set to a certain standard as you Geeks all seem to have enjoyed then mine was most certainly not.

Zooks I'm sorry to hear that your experience was different. Don't forget each educator has their own style of delivering training, and plus I'm not sure when you did your MP but the course has recently changed. Xx

Dear all,

My name is Debbie and I am Education Manager here at Sweet Squared. Samantha told me about this thread and so here I am to clarify a few things. Since The Master Painter class was first introduced, it has undergone a few changes due to new advanced product lines and discontinued products no longer available. CND have updated the US courses accordingly and we have followed suit here in the UK trying to ensure each transition into the new content was as smooth as possible. The current version includes CND Shellac’s Power Partner- Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel as well as polishing skills in one block colour and French application.

So to clarify... in order to attend The Master Painter class, you need to have done the Shellac Brings them Back class as a pre-requisite. As the Master Painter is the final class that would confirm your skills as a Master Painter (technique and application) we may recommend that a student attends the Art & Styles class, and maybe The Polished Nail 1 day class to ensure that they have “covered all bases” in the services they can offer to their clients, but these are not, for the moment, pre-requisites.

We are currently in discussion with CND as to how we can improve our classes, from Novice level right through to Masters which is of great benefit to us and our students as CND are very open to our suggestions as to what works in our market. If you are unhappy with any aspect of your training and likewise, if there’s anything that you would love to see in a class that is not currently available, please let me know as all feedback is crucial for us to keep the award winning Creative Academy at the top of its game. Without your valuable input, we are unable to improve our customers experience both in the classroom, and overall.
Finally and most importantly, we are very busy and here and I would kindly ask that any questions you have you contact me directly [email protected] and I will do my utmost to ensure that your questions are dealt with. I hope this helps.

Love & Respect

Latest posts

Back