Matching client's foundation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if it's long. This is really getting me down.

I'm pretty new to the make up world (just under 2 years) I've done various courses and learnt a lot although I know we are always learning & improving.
I've worked on a few clients, mainly friends and family.
But I'm really struggling with confidence when It comes to matching clients foundations.

I don't know what my problem is but it's putting me off of advertising for new clients and really getting me down.
I've got all my kit, and literally everything I need it's just this that's holding me back.

I worry I'll make them too orange or too pale once they leave me. (Although I obviously try to match them perfectly)

What's the best way to colour match a client?
Does anyone have any tips for me?

I don't struggle with any other aspect of make up as I've worked really hard on perfecting individual techniques as I'm so critical of myself. (eye lining, different eye looks, contouring etc)
But there aren't any courses on something as basic as this.
I feel so stupid :(

Thank you for reading x

Hi! Take things back to basics & firstly concentrate on your clients skin tone. Is it warm/cool/neutral/olive/yellow/red etc & then when you have decided (some might be between, it's just trial & error) choose three shades from the tone family & then apply the three different shades to your client (just a little bit) to determine which one blends seamlessly. Hope this helps a little but really if you're meticulous with practicing it, it will just come naturally. Here's one I do, when walking down the street or in a public place I'll see people & ask myself what their skintone is. Sounds really random but it helps!

Hi! Take things back to basics & firstly concentrate on your clients skin tone. Is it warm/cool/neutral/olive/yellow/red etc & then when you have decided (some might be between, it's just trial & error) choose three shades from the tone family & then apply the three different shades to your client (just a little bit) to determine which one blends seamlessly. Hope this helps a little but really if you're meticulous with practicing it, it will just come naturally. Here's one I do, when walking down the street or in a public place I'll see people & ask myself what their skintone is. Sounds really random but it helps!

Thank you for your reply.
That does help.
I just don't get why I'm finding something that comes so easy to other muas so hard. It's really frustrating.

I'm going to get some family round next week for a practice and just concentrate on perfecting the base (luckily I have a family full of girls!)
Fingers crossed I get this soon, it's killing my confidence.
xx

Don't forget that what you may recommend may not be what they like.

When I first started with Jane Iredale I used to make people too pale. I now think one foundation is all well and good but use 2 on me and a bronzer. I now make people up and suggest they go home and have a look in their favourite mirror. Wear it for the day and see what they think. It's easier doing a wedding as I can use as many colours as I like but choosing just one for retail is hard. They have to love it and if they think a sludgy orange is perfect, you can steer them in the right direction but they may think they look lovely x

Don't forget that what you may recommend may not be what they like.

When I first started with Jane Iredale I used to make people too pale. I now think one foundation is all well and good but use 2 on me and a bronzer. I now make people up and suggest they go home and have a look in their favourite mirror. Wear it for the day and see what they think. It's easier doing a wedding as I can use as many colours as I like but choosing just one for retail is hard. They have to love it and if they think a sludgy orange is perfect, you can steer them in the right direction but they may think they look lovely x

That's another thing, I'm in Essex and a lot of the girls are like, oh I'm going to fake tan when I get home so do my face a bit darker please. Which makes it harder for me.

I'm aiming more towards just party make ups at the moment but I do eventually want to offer retail. x

This is why doing make up isn't easy! So many different skin tones, textures and colours... And then client wishes also!!

I do what pink swoon does, apply a small amount to the jawline, stand back have a look and I ask the client also what they think! I did a bridal trial a few weeks ago, and we agreed on a foundation colour together, as I was applying it, it was just wayy too pale for her, so I took it off and used the darker shade. But she had a different colour chest, neck and face! So it was tough! X

What brand of make up are you using. I always try and test on the jawline too and look from different angles to see how it looks in the light.

What brand of make up are you using. I always try and test on the jawline too and look from different angles to see how it looks in the light.

I have Illamasqua skin base, urban decay naked skin and an rcma palette in my kit x

Just wanted to say your not the only one, I'm the exact same! I'm in my second year of make up which this year is based around Fashion and its the one thing that's holding me back also, although fashion isn't what I want to do I would obviously like to be able to cover it all!
But I'm sure you'll get there keep practicing x x x

It's really tricky getting a colour match.

I usually test the colours on the neck or chest, as you want the face to match with those areas. Sometimes it takes a lot of mixing if I don't carry the exact shade.

Just wanted to say your not the only one, I'm the exact same! I'm in my second year of make up which this year is based around Fashion and its the one thing that's holding me back also, although fashion isn't what I want to do I would obviously like to be able to cover it all!
But I'm sure you'll get there keep practicing x x x

I'm so glad it's not just me! I felt a bit stupid asking. XxX

No i'm struggling a lot with it, I want to do special effects make up so i'm not to worried about it yet anyway haha xxx

What light are you using? Lighting makes a massive difference. If it's too warm (tungsten) or too blue (some led) this will have a big impact.

I have natural daylight bulbs in my make-up mirror, around 5500 k

Latest posts

Back