Maternity Leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fake it...

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I need some advice please.
I'm due to have my first baby in 6 weeks time and don't know what to do about maternity leave. I'm self employed and have a studio within my parents house. As well as doing nails and lashes etc I also do hair and make up.
I had been working through an agency for hair and make up artists and do a lot of work on photoshoots, commercials, fashion shows etc, however as this work takes me all around the country I decided when I found I was pregnant to wind it down. I have spent the last few months building up my nail business, I'd always kept about 20-30 regulars who have been coming to me for around 10-15 yrs. My parents have said that they'll look after the baby etc but I'm worried, really worried about taking time off. I know that my regs won't go elsewhere and I'm always at my mums even on my day off so think that I'd be able to keep things ticking over with a couple of clients a day here and there. The problem is that I can't survive on the money from my regs (hence taking on new clients) but I'm worried that I'll lose all of my newbies if I take too long off. As we all know most people last 2-3 weeks between fills and with the best will in the world they will need their nails maintaining either by me or by someone else. Any advice would be appreciated as this is the only thing that I'm worrying over.
My husband works and takes care of most of the bills, I sort food shopping and council tax and any extras that we need. I just don't know how to avoid losing clients. This is our first baby so it's all new to me.
How did all you mums out there manage and where any of you in a similar situation?
Thanks geeks
xxx

Hi ya hun firstly dont worry things always work themselves out!! I was working 5 days after giving birth - I wouldnt advise it!! But I had to really as my business was new and I couldnt pass over any opportunities.

You are in a great position as you have an established client base, but I would say if you are concerned then I would take 2 weeks off and then start working again, unfortunatley its one of those things with being self employed.

Another option which I think would work really well for you if you can sort it is to find another technician who can temporarily take your clients on for you. If you can find somone honest and trustworthy you can work closely with them in the future, perhaps if she needs the favour returning... has a baby, an op... a hol etc etc. This way your clients know they are your clients however she is helping you out and you will take over when you return from mat leave....

Does that help!? Really stop worrying though enjoy your pregnancy!!

Hayley, you're A gem!
That's just what I needed to hear. I have already planned 3 weeks off after the birth and wound my appointments down to end of May to give myself some breathing space, that way if I want/can/need to do clients here and there I can but if I can't then I'm not under too much pressure. I just needed to hear someone else's experience as some of my new clients have been horrified when they have asked how much time off I'll take. I've started to feel really bad and felt somewhat judged. It's probably me being a little over sensitive but I was starting to worry. As I say, I won't be going back to 8,10,12 hr days but it's good to know that others have walked this path before me and survived. I do have a lot of support from my husband and parents but you have settled my mind hugely.
Many, many thanks.
Ps, are u superwoman??!!
Alex
xx

Ha ha no just very determined!! As my venture into the industry was for my baby anyway to fit around him more as I came from a very highly pressured job with long hours!! Are you claiming any stat mat pay??- It wouldnt help with keeping your new clients but if you can find another tech maybe on here, it may enable you to have a little more breathing space?(Also technically legally you are supposed to take 2 weeks so you would have to be careful with your insurance if you did do anything before I wouldnt do it for new clients really just in case!!x

Yes, my wonderful accountant has sorted all the relevant forms etc so that's all been very stress free! Thanks for your help Hayley, girl dine good xxx

Your welcome hun congrats and good luck with your new baba!!x

enjoy your pregnancy and as the other lady says don't be worrying, things always work out. i also only took a few days off with mine. but babies sleep loads so you can work around feeds.
don't over do it for your own sake or you'll get exhausted. play it by ear. bet most of your clients have kids so they'll understand.
best of luck .

Thanks Rinn,
Most of them do have children and are fully supportive of me taking time off. It's me who's getting into a flap!

Thank you for your advice xxx

Latest posts

Back