Matte Shellac gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gawjus36

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I'm looking for some help with my matte shellac application. I tried it today with a client and it all went Pete Tong!
So, once I applied and cured the top coat tip, the matte part of the nail was marked from the d-sperse.
Can anyone relate or help me out please? My client ended up with just normal Blackpool nails, not what she asked for at all :(

Hi Hun, I haven't attempted it but didn't want to read and run!
What order did you do everything in? I was under the impression that you finish the treatment, inc dsperse then buff the section that you want matte, is that not correct?

Kim xx

That's what I thought also and then apply top coat to just the tip

Yes girls thats right, complete the whole shellac process then buff to remove shine, if yu want shiny tips, apply top coat, cure as normal and dsperse.

Could it be as simple as you wet the nails (with dsperse - and solar oil?)
which will mask the matt effect and once they dry off the matt effect will be revealed again?

It sounds as though the OP has completed the application as you've all described, but after using D Sperse over the nail, it made the rest of the nail look shiny again, rather than matte. Is that correct Gawjus?

I've not had that happen personally. It it possible that you were wiping the inhibition layer residue back onto the nail, and it hadn't been wiped away completely?

Could it be as simple as you wet the nails (with dsperse - and solar oil?)

which will mask the matt effect and once they dry off the matt effect will be revealed again?

Or exactly as Syncage as said x

I would love how to do this properly x

When i did matte black i applied 2 top coats and cured, wiped the sticky layer then gently started buffing 1 nail. I would buff and wipe, buff and wipe until the whole nail looked matte and there were no shiny patches. Hth!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351112345.294141.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351112345.294141.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,440
Hey geeks, right, I did everything as described above, however when I removed the inhibition layer from the nail the matte part seemed to be left marked....almost brought the shine back? Even after the d-sperse had evaporated from the nail. It was something that both the client and I had looked forward to for a few appointments and it all just went to pot. Notsurewhatwentwrong.com :(

How fine a grit did you use?
I use 2 coats top coat, cure, cleanse, very fine grit sponge buffer to remove shine, then top coat on areas I want shiny.
I did find that it took a bit of work to get the matte effect even looking.

When i did matte black i applied 2 top coats and cured, wiped the sticky layer then gently started buffing 1 nail. I would buff and wipe, buff and wipe until the whole nail looked matte and there were no shiny patches. Hth!

Yours looks fab! Here's a picture of my first set of matte that I did last night. I do need to work on consistent smile lines.

To op, once you buff them are you applying topcoat to the whole nail? Just checking :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351127920.353961.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351127920.353961.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,584
Hi all, I'm using the green side of my glossing block to remove shine, I am getting the matte look. I then reapply topcoat to the tips only. I am doing the entire procedure by the book having had a first hand demo from the fingernail fixer herself when she visited Sweet Squared recently! 😊
Anyhow, it really is just the end bit that didn't go right for me. When I remove the tacky from the nail, having done the tip, not the entire nail, with topcoat, it is making the matte effect. Now I did expect it to be wet for a short time but once dried I thought it would just disappear...it didn't 😞
My poor client yesterday, not only did she not end up with the nails she wanted, I had to abandon her part way through the appointment because one of my children collapsed at school!!! Not a good experience all round really but what I would like to be able to do is actually give her what she has asked me for, but I need to confidently master it first. It worked on my colour pop!!!???

Are you removing the dispersion layer from the whole nail before removing the shine? Then top coat tip and you should them only be removing dispersion layer from the tip in the final step.

Also what grit is your 'green side' ?

If you have done it successfully on a colour pop there is no difference on real nails so it could be a mistake or step missed (especially if you were having a crisis with your child collapsing).

I would try think back if there was anything you didn't differently or didn't do and do another colour pop to check!

Hi Syncage, my glossing buffer is the CND buffer, I didn't miss a step as the crisis didn't start until I had completed the process on one hand, bless her. If I am to remove the inhibition layer from just the tip and avoid the matte part of the nail, can you tel me how to do that? I tried but it went over onto the matte 😥

I think you are using too fine a grit I would switch to the kanga buffer and not use the green buffing block. It does make it look matte but then once you use any products such as disperse or solar oil the shine will come back. Try something a bit more abrasive but still gentle so as not to leave file marks xx

Thanks Ellebelle, I will try and keep trying, see what happens!! X

Why do you need to put a top coat on? When I cure and wipe with nass it goes matte anyway so wouldn't I then just do the tip in the top coat? I use opi Gelcolour x

Latest posts

Back