Mature junior about to give up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellechopchop

Reaction score
Hi, I'll try to keep this brief.. I am 29 and qualified 18 months ago on a level 2 ladies and gents course 2 days a week at college. I wish I'd followed my heart and not my dads advice and would have done hairdressing straight from school at 16 but I went on a course I had no interest in, quit not long after and spent the next ten years in customer service jobs just to pay the bills

I have worked on a voluntary basis at a barbers shortly after qualifying but didnt feel ready to work on a self employed basis when offered a position (I'm a single mum to two children)

Since, I have applied for so many jobs and am not even having replies off most, I am cutting hair for friends and family from home to keep my skills up but my confidence (and speed obviously) is failing very rapidly and im thinking maybe I'm Just too old to be considered in a junior position so might as well give it up now before I let it get me down anymore

I am generally a confident and outgoing person and very hard working, I am also willing to travel up to 40 mins to work so I'm asking Is there any advice anyone can give me in looking for a position? I am prepared to work voluntarily again to prove myself but it seems the only salons around here who employ juniors train them thereselves on aprentiships

Help :rolleyes:

I had the same problem at 25 Hun I was in a salon that trained me up and because hubby is in the army I had to move away :( however I got fed up trying to get into a salon, was suffering financially and thought right this is what I want to do I'm not giving up! I decided to go mobile, the first few clients terrified me and a few times I though ugh god I can't do this but I've been on the go for a few months now and gradually gaining confidence and enjoying it more! I work when I want too which is ideal as I have a little girl who is 5 :) is this not something you could do?? X

DON'T GIVE UP!!! That's my first bit of advice! Could you not ask friends to a ask friends etc... So they will be there on ur first few services to boost ur confidence?
If its what you really want to do then go for it, you will find a way, try the local old lady's salon's often the stylists will be happy for the help with taking out sets, combing out, neutralising etc... That's how I started at 14, just doing them kind of things and slowly built up in mine and the salons confidence to putting in sets, applying perm solution, blow drying until I had clients call asking to be booked in with me. Although some were disappointed i wasn't qualified so couldn't do their cuts and put in the perm rods, but it was a really big confidence boost and made college that much Easter knowing my styling was up to standard for clients to come in and ask for me.
My Fave tip which I still swear by now that the college didn't say is.. Your blowdry's and sets should be done to a standard where you don't need heated appliances. Obviously I do use flat irons etc... But only to lock the style in for a few more days

Back to my first again, DON'T GIVE UP! Xoxo

Don't give up babes. I worked in a salon from 16 and now do mobile.

My advice would be go mobile. Get a couple of dolls heads and practice putting foils in cutting etc to get your speed up. Choose what colour range you'll be using and revise all colour notes you have. Once you've built up speed and confidence on the dolls head get advertising yourself.

Even if you were in a salon the first few clients you do solely on your own is scary so any nerves you feel will be normal.

Just don't rush, go at your own speed if it takes you 90 mins to do a hair cut let it. When you rush thats when mistakes happen.

Most important make sure you get insurance.

You've spent too long doing a job you don't like. Nows the time to make a career and business for yourself. Show little one that like mummy they can have a job they love when their older.

Good luck babes xxx

Stop self doubting yourself! Im gona recommend some refresher courses, to let you know you havent lost touch. You've should be proud you qualified approx 2 years ago, start applying for job roles suited to you ability. If there is something you dont like doin, make it your strength. Personally i think you should make a porfolio, grab a camera, every client before and after, some great shots of all the friends and family you have done, Show your versaility, creative edge, flair for hairdressing. Grab a couple of training heads and show different styles, practise makes perfect! Get yourself affliated with other brands, ie wella, matrix, l'oreal, redken etc so you can be more aware, plus it helps you slot yourself into any salon.

I think your passionate about the industry, and you'll learn loads using this site, get yourself out there by getting your portfolio, and yourself down to each salon, sell yourself, by selling your abilities. Just dont give up now, times are hard but to find people who are willing to work is harder! good luck hths xoxo

never give up!

all our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - walt disney

keep trying it will pay off xxx

never give up!

all our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - walt disney

keep trying it will pay off xxx

As I read the first 5 words I thought disney. When I feel down I think of Cinderella and all the hard work she did until she became a princess. My inspiration to breathe is miss charming xoxo

:o! me tooo; i am disney obsessed i love all things princessy too! ... fab saying by the legendary mr.disney!

:o! me tooo; i am disney obsessed i love all things princessy too! ... fab saying by the legendary mr.disney!

I cried when watching special features on Mary poppins where they played feed the birds at his funeral ( his Fave song) and a single bird flies across the sky, apparently it wasn't set up. He was there!
Oh and there is Cinderella key rings with a light in it, my friend gets me 2 a year one for Xmas and one or my b'day. Xoxo

DONT GIVE UP!!! If its what you love doing just keep on at it & something will come up eventually!x

Don't give up honey, it will be so worth sticking with it, honestly x

I am in the exact same position but I am still training. I feel if you want it badly enough you can achieve anything. I have my hair comp coming up but after that I plan to visit any salon to try and get a junior position part time. I knew the first day of college this was the job for me and wish I could have turned back the clock to being 16 again and going for it. One hairdresser told me to volunteer at an old people's home doing sets and perms etc as its all experience. I am willing to go voluntary to get that valid salon experience. I pray this time next year I am in a salon doing girls hair for new years eve and plan on making it a reality. It takes real guts restarting in a new career when your older but I say your never too young. My hairdresser retrained when she was 32, she worked 3 days a week and only got paid for one but 6 years on she has her own salon wgich she opened a year ago, it's just her but she loves it. Don't give up, grab it by its balls and go full steam ahead. I know I won't as i can't imagine being as happy as I am now doing any other job. Funny as my mum and dad always said you should go into hairdressing and always knew I would. But if only I would have listened, it was always something I loved but oh we'll c'est la vie, at least I am going for it now. Good luck!

Hi believe me you will kick yourself if you quit now , I did the same a years ago and trying to get back Into hair is hard work my advice is get some DVDs on cutting and color and also go on local courses they have them at the wholesales , or you can go to the big schools like loreal, wella etc.. They have them in nearly every city , don't give up xxx

Hi My name is Caroline im 49 and I started in the hairdressing industry just over 5yrs ago. I have never worked in a salon but trained full time at college, I applied for many jobs paid and unpaid but never ever got a chance to work in a salon, but now Im not interested in working in a salon because I have a home salon and a steady stream of clients, its took me a long time to build them up but it was worth it. Everything i have learned since leaving college i taught myself by reading listening and asking other hairdressers and have learned a ton of stuff. Try being mobile its hard work but it will pay off in the long run it has for me as it would for you, because you are already a hard worker go for and you confidence will grow and grow.
Hope this helps
Caroline

Wonderful!!!!!

There it is in a few lines.

Hi I'm comforted to know there are others in the same postition, I'm 27 and retrained in hair and have applied to all types of salons unpaid and paid and I've been told that it's my age which has really disheartened me. I am also keeping up with friends and family but I am so eager to learn more but don't have the money to pay for more courses. I hope you keep it up stay positive :)

Hi believe me you will kick yourself if you quit now , I did the same a years ago and trying to get back Into hair is hard work my advice is get some DVDs on cutting and color and also go on local courses they have them at the wholesales , or you can go to the big schools like loreal, wella etc.. They have them in nearly every city , don't give up xxx

Hey , don't want to hijack the OPs thread, but can you recommend any good cutting and colouring DVDs please.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi, please don't give up, I trained later in life and it is tough but I now have my own salon (although we're a bit slow at the mo lol). I wish you lived closer as I could really do with someone like you!.

I think the majority of us more mature stylists are forced to go down the self-employed route as we simply cannot get salon positions.

I really don't understand why age is such a barrier in the hair industry. Surely if somebody has gone to all the trouble of training around work/family commitments and often financed it themselves, it shows that they are seriously committed and hard-working, as an employer i would definately be looking for those qualities in a potential employee.

Chin up hun, you will get there in the end :biggrin:

Hi, please don't give up, I trained later in life and it is tough but I now have my own salon (although we're a bit slow at the mo lol). I wish you lived closer as I could really do with someone like you!.

I think the majority of us more mature stylists are forced to go down the self-employed route as we simply cannot get salon positions.

I really don't understand why age is such a barrier in the hair industry. Surely if somebody has gone to all the trouble of training around work/family commitments and often financed it themselves, it shows that they are seriously committed and hard-working, as an employer i would definately be looking for those qualities in a potential employee.

Chin up hun, you will get there in the end :biggrin:

It is a sad situation, I agree.
The reason employers are wary is because we know it will take you several years to improve from college leaver standard to salon standard. During that time we have to pay you full adult minimum wage, and probably make a loss.
If a salon wants a newly qualified stylist, an 18 year old college leaver is signiicantly cheaper, and will have improved and built a client base by the time they are due full adult wage.
I'm sorry that this is the situation, but felt compelled to explain it to you from the salon perspective.

Thanks persianista, what you say certainly makes sense, I hadn't thought of it like that.

I do feel though that the life experience and common sense may go some way towards making up for lack of experience but i suppose from a business point of view it makes more financial sense to employ younger newly qualifieds.

Hey , don't want to hijack the OPs thread, but can you recommend any good cutting and colouring DVDs please.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

hi hunny the sassoon abc one is fab , then theres the tigi ones too , also pivot point ones are great they are american, i will try send you some links xx

Latest posts

Back