Mica powders from the Colour Shack?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline90

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me..
I bought 2 sets of mica powders from the colour shack and was playing around with them.
I've done my own nails with them using hard gel but they keep chipping.
I'm obviously going wrong somewhere.
I do my prep and apply tip and blend etc,
I build up the gel using clear gel and burnish a layer of mica powder over the tacky layer and wipe off excess.
I then do a thin layer of clear gel and top coat.
Would I be better off building up the gel after I apply the Mica powder instead of building up first and then doing the pigment? Hope I'm making sense? Lol
Caroline x

I forgot to mention that I always cap the free edge.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s5 using SalonGeek mobile app

Funnily enough, I posted a wee while ago about the same problem. I have watched the videos,Therealmrsgrey among them, but I still seem to have a problem. I am using the pigments over gel polish, which stays on the nail as usual, no chips etc. Just the top coat and pigments which chip off really easily.

So will follow your thread with interest :o

Sent from my GT-P5210 using SalonGeek mobile app

I now mix my pigments into megamix and apply this way as I don't get chipping.

I didn't use to find it chipped, more that it wore off near the free edge.

I do ombres by using the pigments on the bottom half of the nails as that way it's completely sealed in top coat!

Even though I seal the free edge I couldn't seem to find a solution to it.
Some people have mentioned burnishing it in an even thinner layer where possible.

xx

I always burnish from the cuticle end if im doing an ombre fade, so by the time its faded, the free edge has no pigment on anyway.
I dnt know why I do this way but it doesn't chip. Maybe try that way instead, so you free edge is just gel polish?

I now mix my pigments into megamix and apply this way as I don't get chipping.

I didn't use to find it chipped, more that it wore off near the free edge.

I do ombres by using the pigments on the bottom half of the nails as that way it's completely sealed in top coat!

Even though I seal the free edge I couldn't seem to find a solution to it.
Some people have mentioned burnishing it in an even thinner layer where possible.

xx

Yes it looks like it wore off from the free edge for me too but it also chips at the layer where I've put the pigment.
I will just have to play around with them more and see where I could be going wrong. Also is there a particular brush that works better with applying the pigments?
Caroline x

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s5 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back