Micro ring hair extensions help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Reynolds

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

Hoping to get some hair extensions advice from you all. I recently done an online hair extension course for micro rings which was ok but feel like i still need alot of information so i have booked a 1-2-1 training but that's not until june so with the knowledge that i have now i have decided to keep practicing on models but i do have some questions if you could help me out-

--do you wash you clients hair before extensions or is it best to have 2nd day hair?

--do you straighten the clients own hair then apply the extensions?

--i hardly got any advice on cutting hair extensions dose anyone know of a really good youtube video that explains this in depth?

Thanks so much everyone xxx

Hi Michael, in regards to clients having clean hair, I am mobile so I always ask that the client washes their hair the night before with no conditioner. I find that asking them to do it on the day doesnt make much difference, and they are more likely to still have wet hair when I show up which can be a little irritating!
I also ask that they straighten their hair, but they dont always do it, so I make sure I have my straighteners handy just incase!
In regards to cutting, nothing will beat going on a course, so I would suggest having a look around, or seeking the advise from a local hairdresser who might be happy to give you a small 1 on 1 session.
Hope that helps!

Hi Sophie,
Thank you so much this has been a massive help, feel more confident now.
Thanks again X

Below, I have answered your questions one by one. Please check

Let’s come to your first question- You have seen that your hairstylist washes your hair with shampoo before giving it a shape as shampoo removes the dirt, dust, oil and grease from your hair and moist hair helps your hairstylist to gauge the accurate length of your hair.

I think you have got your first question’s answer.

And to answer your last question, it totally depends on the hairdresser and client’s criteria.

Let’s come to your first question- You have seen that your hairstylist washes your hair with shampoo before giving it a shape as shampoo removes the dirt, dust, oil and grease from your hair and moist hair helps your hairstylist to gauge the accurate length of your hair.

And to answer your last question, it totally depends on the hairdresser and client’s criteria.

Seriously.....just....what??

Hi Micheal,
Totally agree with Sophie. I would add that some of my clients wash their hair the night before and it's fine but some have a much more oily scalp so I make sure they wash as close to fitting as possible. You will get to know your clients and their hair type so you can judge it as you go, but as clean as possible is the ideal. I say 'preferably straighten it' in my reminder texts. Again it depends on the individual clients hair as to how important this is. And as Sophie said, nothing will beat a course if you're not a hairdresser. I am and it still took a lot of practice so just keep practicing. If you take lots of picture and ask specific questions you'll get tonnes of help here. Good luck! Xx

Hi Michael, Definitely ask your clients to wash their hair (preferably sulphate free or mild shampoo only) make sure they don't use the likes of Pantene, Herbal Essences or other OTC Shampoo's which contain silicone as this will cause problems with slippage and clients will be calling you back to retighten blaming it on you! I supply my clients at Consultation with Shampoo so that I know they've used the correct product pre-fitting. Also I get them to dry and straighten their hair before I arrive to install. Make sure that NO CONDITIONER rule has been followed. If not, time will be wasted rewashing, drying etc.
As for cutting and blending, I would agree with Ceecee71 that the best way forward would be a hair cutting course, you could do a lot of damage with no prior knowledge of techniques or experience.

Hi all,
Wow thank you all so much for you help, you guys are amazing!
I am a hairdresser but I will definitely do a cutting course with extensions, until then I just I will just keep watching YouTube ect.

I do have two more questions that hopefully you can help with,,

I was taught that if a client has let's say 3 colours in there hair, I was taught you do a whole row of 1 shade next row 2nd shade and 3rd row 3rd shade, is that right?

Lastly if a full head is 150g of hair do you do like 100on the back and 25 on each side?

Thanks so much guys xxx

It's an unhelpful answer but it really does depend on the individual client. If I can't get mixed colours for highlights then I personally will alternate rows of solid colours. It works much better than 2:1 or 1:1 of each, which invariably looks stripy. But judge it on what you are looking at during consultation. Eg. a half head of HL's I'd use the darker colour for 3-4 rows at the back and then alternate and maybe end up with a couple of solid rows of light. This is something that really does come with practice.

In terms of amounts, if you're worried when you first start then you can do the back up until you are level with the side sections and then do the sides. Then with what's left you can go back and fill in the top. It's hard to count out as you go but you will naturally get the hang of it. It's just practise.

As you're a hairdresser, the best advise I can give is point cut and break up the natural hair before you start wherever possible. Once you've finished, throw out everything you instinctively want to do and do everything visually. You can't section as you would on natural hair and don't be afraid of deep v's on your blend line. Slide cut the top layer of the extension hair to blend it to the longest point of the natural hair. So you start at the ends of the natural hair and slide down.

I move the hair issuing my fingers and shake it out before blending more. If the client wants layers then I drop out 2 rows all around the hairline and don't elevate them. Then take vertical sections, elevate and deep point or chip out the ends. Any blunt cut or even normal point cut tends to show so be brave! And then stand and look and just pick out areas and cut those more. It's very untechnical, much more 'by eye' that what you're used to.

Everyone has their own way of doing this stuff so I'm sure you'll get more advice. You'll find your own way pretty quick once you start. You'll be a whizz in no time!! Xx

It's an unhelpful answer but it really does depend on the individual client. If I can't get mixed colours for highlights then I personally will alternate rows of solid colours. It works much better than 2:1 or 1:1 of each, which invariably looks stripy. But judge it on what you are looking at during consultation. Eg. a half head of HL's I'd use the darker colour for 3-4 rows at the back and then alternate and maybe end up with a couple of solid rows of light. This is something that really does come with practice.

In terms of amounts, if you're worried when you first start then you can do the back up until you are level with the side sections and then do the sides. Then with what's left you can go back and fill in the top. It's hard to count out as you go but you will naturally get the hang of it. It's just practise.

As you're a hairdresser, the best advise I can give is point cut and break up the natural hair before you start wherever possible. Once you've finished, throw out everything you instinctively want to do and do everything visually. You can't section as you would on natural hair and don't be afraid of deep v's on your blend line. Slide cut the top layer of the extension hair to blend it to the longest point of the natural hair. So you start at the ends of the natural hair and slide down.

I move the hair issuing my fingers and shake it out before blending more. If the client wants layers then I drop out 2 rows all around the hairline and don't elevate them. Then take vertical sections, elevate and deep point or chip out the ends. Any blunt cut or even normal point cut tends to show so be brave! And then stand and look and just pick out areas and cut those more. It's very untechnical, much more 'by eye' that what you're used to.

Everyone has their own way of doing this stuff so I'm sure you'll get more advice. You'll find your own way pretty quick once you start. You'll be a whizz in no time!! Xx

Wow Thanks so much for this info, you have helped me out SOOO much. i feel ready to go and get stuck in now :) Thanks again x

What does this even mean [emoji15]

Latest posts

Back