Micro Teach

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donzai

Reaction score
Hi Guys I have a job interview coming up and was very fortunate to be given the topic , which is "Candidates to deliver a 15 - minute micro teach lesson to 4-5 students on Skin types and condition and the benefit of a facial."
Personally I feel like that is a lot for 15mins so I'm baffled how to condense and would like to limit my slide with just 8 slides.
On the plus side though I have all my slides from previous lessons already, learning materials and kahoot quizzes ready to go but logically I don't know how I'm going to fit it all in.

Kind Regards
Donna

I’d make this a demonstration about how well you can teach rather than a demonstration of how well you understand skin. So include as many different examples of active learning as you can and build the lesson around a group activity. My suggestion would be something like this….

Start by outlining the lesson plan and what students will learn. Be specific - this lesson will explain the 4 different skin types and the benefits of a facial to help manage and treat a few common skin conditions.

Have a worksheet for the students to complete. Have one for level 2 students and one for level 3 students. Remember one for the assessor.

Ask if students have studied skin types and facials.

1. Explain/recap difference between a skin type and a condition (one permanent or very long lasting characteristic that is personal to individual and the other a temporary condition that can be treated and improved)

Group activity tailored to experience/engagement of students choose one
.A. Ask if anyone can suggest a skin type or condition. Ask group whether each suggestion is a type or condition. Write them up on a whiteboard in one of two columns. End up with a list of 4 skin types and a list of a few conditions. As you go, ask students for characteristics of each skin type and what conditions it is associated with. Ask direct questions. Then face the group and ask open questions about the benefits of a facial. Tell them some benefits and ask students how they think these benefits occur and how they might tailor part of a facial to suit different skin types.
B. Discuss the characteristics of each skin type. First, select either oily or dry, explain the characteristics and show a photo. Ask questions. “How would you cleanse this type of skin? What sort of mask would you offer and why? Second select either oily or dry and first show a photo without saying what type it is and ask students to comment on how it looks, and how it might feel to the therapist, then show another photo of the same skin type under magnification- Lead the students to correctly name the skin type. Question, “would you steam this type of skin for at least 10 minutes, or would you aim for 5-7 minutes?. Draw out why. Discuss what can be seen and what typical concerns the client might have. Third type: combination skin - show a photo, prompt students to identify type and as a group get them to list the characteristics. How should they exfoliate the oily t zone? And the dryer areas? Fourth type: normal, show photo, discuss. Question Is there any point in massaging normal skin? What benefits might massage offer a client with normal healthy skin?

A and B could be a more practical activity by giving out prepared labels and asking students to sort them into type and condition or match up characteristic labels/photos with skin type.

C.Ask students to work in pairs/threes. Examine each other’s skin and decide the skin type and condition each has. Remind them, what can you see? What can you feel? What does an oily skin look like? Feel like? How do you assess elasticity? Can oily skin feel rough? Bring students back into the group and discuss what conditions they had noticed/experience in addition to skin type. Group discussion How would they tailor a facial for these?

For AB and C Recap and Summarise the learning points.

Practise, practise, practise. It’s harder to teach for a short period, make sure you allow enough time for the end of lesson summary.

And Good luck!

Last edited:
I’d make this a demonstration about how well you can teach rather than a demonstration of how well you understand skin. So include as many different examples of active learning as you can and build the lesson around a group activity. My suggestion would be something like this….

Start by outlining the lesson plan and what students will learn. Be specific - this lesson will explain the 4 different skin types and the benefits of a facial to help manage and treat a few common skin conditions.

Have a worksheet for the students to complete. Have one for level 2 students and one for level 3 students. Remember one for the assessor.

Ask if students have studied skin types and facials.

1. Explain/recap difference between a skin type and a condition (one permanent or very long lasting characteristic that is personal to individual and the other a temporary condition that can be treated and improved)

Group activity tailored to experience/engagement of students choose one
.A. Ask if anyone can suggest a skin type or condition. Ask group whether each suggestion is a type or condition. Write them up on a whiteboard in one of two columns. End up with a list of 4 skin types and a list of a few conditions. As you go, ask students for characteristics of each skin type and what conditions it is associated with. Ask direct questions. Then face the group and ask open questions about the benefits of a facial. Tell them some benefits and ask students how they think these benefits occur and how they might tailor part of a facial to suit different skin types.
B. Discuss the characteristics of each skin type. First, select either oily or dry, explain the characteristics and show a photo. Ask questions. “How would you cleanse this type of skin? What sort of mask would you offer and why? Second select either oily or dry and first show a photo without saying what type it is and ask students to comment on how it looks, and how it might feel to the therapist, then show another photo of the same skin type under magnification- Lead the students to correctly name the skin type. Question, “would you steam this type of skin for at least 10 minutes, or would you aim for 5-7 minutes?. Draw out why. Discuss what can be seen and what typical concerns the client might have. Third type: combination skin - show a photo, prompt students to identify type and as a group get them to list the characteristics. How should they exfoliate the oily t zone? And the dryer areas? Fourth type: normal, show photo, discuss. Question Is there any point in massaging normal skin? What benefits might massage offer a client with normal healthy skin?

A and B could be a more practical activity by giving out prepared labels and asking students to sort them into type and condition or match up characteristic labels/photos with skin type.

C.Ask students to work in pairs/threes. Examine each other’s skin and decide the skin type and condition each has. Remind them, what can you see? What can you feel? What does an oily skin look like? Feel like? How do you assess elasticity? Can oily skin feel rough? Bring students back into the group and discuss what conditions they had noticed/experience in addition to skin type. Group discussion How would they tailor a facial for these?

For AB and C Recap and Summarise the learning points.

Practise, practise, practise. It’s harder to teach for a short period, make sure you allow enough time for the end of lesson summary.

And Good luck!

Thank you so much and I apologise for not responding earlier. By the time I got the response I made my final draft and didn't want to "faff" about . You are truly gem going into so much detail. 💕

Latest posts

Back