Misophonia-hatred of sound

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLease

Reaction score
Evening geeks!

So I'm sat here watching tv, and all I can concentrate on is the sound of my mum crunching away on her (very celery filled) salad. I can't describe the anger it is causing inside of me! My stomach is in knots. I just want to shout at her to shut up!

I get this feeling every night when she sits down to eat, most of the time I make up an excuse and leave the room, or turn the TV up. I experience this anger with numerous sounds, I can't tell you the feeling I get when a client is glugging down water in front of me, or the sound of someone breathing heavily through their mouth. This isn't just irritating to me like some one chewing gum loudly, it literally makes me want to slap them across the face - I get so angry!

Just wondering if any other geeks feel this way, and what you do to help stop the need to kill someone.

I get this.
A guy has been sitting opposite me at work recently and he is annoying me so much I can't deal with another day. He slurps his drinks, he burps out loud, he sniffs and when he eats a yoghurt (every bloody day) I want to be sick. He was eating an apple today and I had to walk out.

I have this!! I didn't realise it was an actual thing! I hate sniffing and crunching of food. It has literally caused so many arguments with my bf because he has sinus problems and will sniff constantly, as soon as he does it I'm on edge expecting an argument. I offer him a tissue and if he says no thats me angry. Even if he takes the tissue I'm all worked up waiting for the next sniff and we've cancelled plans or left places early because I can't stand to listen to him sniff. When people are crunching food, especially crisps I want to teach them how to eat right, at work if er're all having a chat and a laugh if someone gets dome crisps out then all my focus goes straight to them and I can't join in the convo anymore because I'm so irritated. I leave the room when my mam eats because she sounds like a washing machine, I've told her I can't stand it and I've snapped at her before for getting a 2nd biscuit after its taken all my effort to get through the 1st one. I honestly don't understand how people cant eat without crunching! Omg it feels brill knowing its a real thing :)

Omg I have this!

I don't have this but I think my husband does. He can't stand anyone making an eating noise or breathing noise near him. If my tummy has so much as the slightest rumble it's almost a recipe for divorce. Our toilet is next to the bed but with a dividing wall, obviously. I won't use it if he's in bed as he kicks up such a fuss if he hears someone even weeing. I have to use the downstairs toilet. If I've exerted myself and have a bit off a puff (heavy breathing) he goes mental. :Scared:

Funnily enough he's off to the doctors on Friday as he is constantly blocked up and needs a good sinus clear out.

I'd never heard of it, so curious
and Nope,
I must be really tolerant, i don't even notice these things

Evening geeks!

So I'm sat here watching tv, and all I can concentrate on is the sound of my mum crunching away on her (very celery filled) salad. I can't describe the anger it is causing inside of me! My stomach is in knots. I just want to shout at her to shut up!

I get this feeling every night when she sits down to eat, most of the time I make up an excuse and leave the room, or turn the TV up. I experience this anger with numerous sounds, I can't tell you the feeling I get when a client is glugging down water in front of me, or the sound of someone breathing heavily through their mouth. This isn't just irritating to me like some one chewing gum loudly, it literally makes me want to slap them across the face - I get so angry!

Just wondering if any other geeks feel this way, and what you do to help stop the need to kill someone.

This is me :( I have it sooooo bad I feel sorry for my family my mum is the worst she eats so loudly and I can hear her teeth clicking together when she's chewing! My mums not aloud to eat in the same room as me :( I know that's shameful but I literally can not stand it! But yes I feel like I want to kill people that make noise when they eat and I hate it because it makes me miserable I can't concentrate on nothing else apart from waiting for the next noise to come out if there food filled greedy loud mouths!!!!! Xx

So glad i'm not the only one! I feel guilty when i get mad, how can you tell someone to stop eating or breathing lol I completely understand the biscuit situation dudeymel, I feel so anxious when someone goes to get more food when i've tried so hard to get through the first sitting! I had a client start eating her breakfast in front of me the other day while i was doing her a pedi. She kept clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth while she was talking to me with her mouth full, i just wanted to run out of the room and punch something. I don't know how i got through it, but i was on edge for the rest of the day because i kept replaying it over and over in my mind. I really don't know what i can do to try and not get so angry and anxious.

Have you ladies ever heard Yourselves eat? You are loud and abnoxious too however those around you are either accepting it or are not bothered by it. Don't want to be rude, my husband suffers as well and he has decided to see a therapist to deal with it. He says it has helped put things into perspective and he realized it was his issues not other people's.
We all eat, we eat a wide variety of things for which I am grateful as eating soft baby mush would become very boring very fast.

P.s. Just to add, manners go a Very long way, I do not accept slurping, talking with mouth full, ..etc...
Cleen Cheeks Spa

Oh wow!

I was talking about this the other day.
I am so so bad. I think it's partly the reason I left my old job. My boss sat opposite me and we had our own upstairs office so you could hear a pin drop. He would bite his nails. When he ate he used to talk with his gob open and call clients while he was eating!!!! He would suck his fingers right down to the bottom and suck them and make noises like he was having s3x with them.

I got so mad one day I bashed my hands on the desk and stormed downstairs. I envisaged getting a plank of wood with nails on and smashing it round his head. I seriously felt like I wanted to hurt him!!!!

Wow that's sick right??

Oh my gosh, that's a relief! I thought I was the only person in the world to have this!! :) haha!

I tell my husband he has misophonia. He cant dtand me eating/drinking lol

Have you ladies ever heard Yourselves eat? You are loud and abnoxious too however those around you are either accepting it or are not bothered by it. Don't want to be rude, my husband suffers as well and he has decided to see a therapist to deal with it. He says it has helped put things into perspective and he realized it was his issues not other people's.
We all eat, we eat a wide variety of things for which I am grateful as eating soft baby mush would become very boring very fast.

P.s. Just to add, manners go a Very long way, I do not accept slurping, talking with mouth full, ..etc...
Cleen Cheeks Spa

Hmmm .... Yes .... How can 'Anyone' eat crisps, celery, biscuits etc without a bit of crunching? Do the people who object to it only eat mush or can they cope with their own inevitable noise levels whilst eating? :confused:

There's a support group in london that I'm part of. Lots of people suffer misophonia, it's more common than people realise. There's been studies that suggest it's super sensitive hearing, and caused by slightly faulty brain wiring.
For people saying "ignore it, and stop being selfish" it's the same as telling a paraplegic to just "get up and walk." If you suffer from it, you just do.
My hubby and I always have the telly up loud when we're eating. I have strategies to help me deal with it in my everyday life. My only problem is when clients want to eat while their hairs being done. It's like nails down a blackboard. A few times I've begged them to stop, as I can't continue.

How does anyone ever relax in your company if everything they do is an irritant, sounds like your actually concentrating on it, see im always thinking about things, probably why i don't even notice these things.
Your maybe watching for it, so don't watch them, lol

Hmmm .... Yes .... How can 'Anyone' eat crisps, celery, biscuits etc without a bit of crunching? Do the people who object to it only eat mush or can they cope with their own inevitable noise levels whilst eating? :confused:

If i was to comment on something of this nature, i would at the very least look into what i was about to share my opinion on before i commented. Which clearly you haven't. This disorder comes in many different forms, not just sounds from eating, so your facetious remarks have been wasted. Would you tell someone with an OCD for contamination to walk around in a coverall because its inevitable that they will come into contact with germs?

Your comments are the exact reason i have not spoken of this before. I have never told anyone that there eating/breathing/movements are causing me distress. As you have stated, how can you expect anyone not to do these every day thing? The main reason for this thread was to see if there was anyone else that suffers with this, and what they do to help control it. Your input was completely irrelevent.

There's a support group in london that I'm part of. Lots of people suffer misophonia, it's more common than people realise. There's been studies that suggest it's super sensitive hearing, and caused by slightly faulty brain wiring.
For people saying "ignore it, and stop being selfish" it's the same as telling a paraplegic to just "get up and walk." If you suffer from it, you just do.
My hubby and I always have the telly up loud when we're eating. I have strategies to help me deal with it in my everyday life. My only problem is when clients want to eat while their hairs being done. It's like nails down a blackboard. A few times I've begged them to stop, as I can't continue.

So interesting to read this. I suffer from this but didn't realise it was such a common thing. I also am very sensitive to smells to and suffer with general anxiety and slight OCD, I guess it's all kind of connected.

No doubt those that think we should just ignore it, tell people with clinical depression to just cheer up.

Some people on here being quite inconsiderate I think, I'm really shocked! If I could just turn it off and take no notice don't you think I would? Do you really think I like living each day stressed out to the max because of it? Yes I know I also eat loudly especially right now as I'm heavily pregnant and have blocked sinuses would be probably all these ladies worst nightmare but i can't stop the way I am I've googled and googled ways to help me, had counselling and tried recommended techniques but I still "SUFFER" from it. Do you not realise how envious we are of the people who are not bothered by it? Seriously people you should think before you make ignorant comments. Xx

No doubt those that think we should just ignore it, tell people with clinical depression to just cheer up.

My husband is one of these people. I have OCD and when I'm in the middle of a full blown panic attack he'll throw a strop because I'm "milking it" - as if I choose to embarrass myself by wailing like a banshee :(

Latest posts

Back