Misophonia-hatred of sound

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My god I have this..

It started when I was about 10, we used to sit at the table for dinner and I would get so angry at my brother for his noisy eating I'd just leave the table in a fit of anger. I think my parents put it down to hormones.

My dad left us when I was 13 and we didn't eat at the table together as much so I didn't notice it as often.

I have had a huge problem with the way my mum sounds when eating, I can't sit anywhere near her, I feel so bad for her that I feel that way.

If she comes in the room with, for example, a ryvita, I literally freeze and feel a huge anger build up inside me. I have to leave the room.

When we go out for a family meal I have to sit myself as far away from my mum as possible. :( she has often invited me out to lunch but the thought of it panics me so much I find an excuse every time.

I actually had an argument with my husband last week because he'd cooked enough food to feed a small army and asked my mum to join us (we are temporarily living at her house but don't eat together anymore, I put a stop to that).

My husband didn't understand what the problem was, of course, and I felt like a horrible selfish b1tch but I knew I couldn't sit at the table with my mum, but actually saying them words out loud to him would have been impossible.

So we did eat together and I just sat and stared at the table not communicating with anyone as i was in a rage that I couldn't snap out of, yet I didn't want to make anyone else feel uncomfortable or for them to ask what's wrong and for me to have to say the silly sounding words of 'I hate the way mum sounds when she's eating'...so I just sat, and stared, It's hard to explain but it's like I was just focusing on not having an outburst.

When I met my husband 10 years ago I cooked him a meal after we'd been dating for a few weeks, whilst eating the anger built up and I quickly left the table and told him to get out of my house, that we aren't going to work :/ thankfully I calmed down and saw I was being 'silly'.

Over the past few years I have become very intolerant of my husbands breathing when eating, I feel so angry my chest feels so tight I could burst. I have a few times told him to 'just stop breathing...please!' He laughs but I'm being serious!

I feel like I tolerate a lot of things in life that others perhaps wouldn't, and I certainly don't get angry very often either, but this problem is just something else.

I really did think I was the only person with this issue and had no idea that it was an actual disorder. I may have to pop to see my doctor before I forcibly stop my husband from breathing!

Thanks for starting this thread, you may have just saved a few lives ;)

I can't stand the sound of people eating noisily particularly my husband but I put this down to a severe lack of tolerance.

Kids eating noisily I can handle and animals.

Are we just talking about eating noises?

I find unwanted noise stressful....for example I will always sweep with a broom on my hard floors rather than vacuum. A tv in the background is fine but add a cd in another room and someone talking on the phone and my nerves are fairly jangling.

Anybody can eat anything around me though lol:green:

Evening geeks!

So I'm sat here watching tv, and all I can concentrate on is the sound of my mum crunching away on her (very celery filled) salad. I can't describe the anger it is causing inside of me! My stomach is in knots. I just want to shout at her to shut up!

I get this feeling every night when she sits down to eat, most of the time I make up an excuse and leave the room, or turn the TV up. I experience this anger with numerous sounds, I can't tell you the feeling I get when a client is glugging down water in front of me, or the sound of someone breathing heavily through their mouth. This isn't just irritating to me like some one chewing gum loudly, it literally makes me want to slap them across the face - I get so angry!

Just wondering if any other geeks feel this way, and what you do to help stop the need to kill someone.

This has a name? I get like this when anyone coughs. Even if i cough. I literally cannot abide it, I want to break something. Its the only sound i cant stand. Thought I was a weirdo lol

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I find unwanted noise stressful....for example I will always sweep with a broom on my hard floors rather than vacuum. A tv in the background is fine but add a cd in another room and someone talking on the phone and my nerves are fairly jangling.

I believe it's sound in general, it also applies to movement. My mum rolls her bottom lip with her fingers (that probably doesn't make sense but I can't describe it lol) she also uses her knuckle to push her lip in to bite it. when I can see her doing it out of the corner of my eye it again creates this massive rage inside of me. Same when people tap or rub their fingers together. There are so many triggers for me it's getting harder and harder to avoid them all.

A support group sounds good though, id be interested to find out if there was one near me.

I forgot sneezing! I hate it, I think its rude and unnecessary. Ive managed to perfect my sneezing so it doesnt make a sound, like when you hold your nose to keep it in. I feel like why cant everyone else do that and I especially hate it when people sneeze 5 or 6 times in a row nd they giggle like 'wheres this come from'. My mam does that too and ive snapped at her for it. I can abide the first 2 maximun but anymore and im angry. Theres no need to do it, I know everyone sneezes but just hold your nose and because I do it I feel like other people are rude when they dont, especially when they wipe their hands on their pants, its all avoidable! Xx

I forgot sneezing! I hate it, I think its rude and unnecessary. Ive managed to perfect my sneezing so it doesnt make a sound, like when you hold your nose to keep it in. I feel like why cant everyone else do that and I especially hate it when people sneeze 5 or 6 times in a row nd they giggle like 'wheres this come from'. My mam does that too and ive snapped at her for it. I can abide the first 2 maximun but anymore and im angry. Theres no need to do it, I know everyone sneezes but just hold your nose and because I do it I feel like other people are rude when they dont, especially when they wipe their hands on their pants, its all avoidable! Xx

Did you know that stopping a sneeze can cause an aneurysm.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Did you know that stopping a sneeze can cause an aneurysm.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

For example, you can create a prolonged "ringing" sensation, or affect your hearing, which may or may not be temporary. There's also a chance you burst an eardrum. You can actually tear blood vessels and muscles within the head. A sinus hemorrhage is also possible, and it's reported that more than a few older people have actually sustained brain injury and possible death just out of fear of committing a social faux pas like a violent sneeze.

There's more danger possible as well. People have not only accidentally severely bitten their tongues during such an episode, they've severed parts of their tongues as well. Just because of the bacteria and organisms present in even the cleanest mouths can make the simple act of biting a chunk out of an inner cheek turn into a long recovery that must be watched carefully for infection.

More than a few have broken teeth by the force with which your upper and lower jaw can snap shut in the process. Even ruptures within the throat may occur or a esophagus can be damaged.

Then there is the issue of a relatively rare yet still possible effect of a repressed sneeze or anything else that causes injury to the face: facial emphysema, a condition seen both in adults and children. Potentially deadly because it can restrict air supply, facial emphysema - either from a repressed sneeze, anesthesia, or some dental work - can create deep air spaces in the face and neck, sometimes extending as far as into the lungs. Signs are typically facial and/or neck swelling and discomfort and medical treatment should be sought immediately.

So give a sneeze the respect - and trajectory - it deserves: carry around a quickly accessible pocket pack of tissues and sneeze away! The face and head you protect can be your very own.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

For example, you can create a prolonged "ringing" sensation, or affect your hearing, which may or may not be temporary. There's also a chance you burst an eardrum. You can actually tear blood vessels and muscles within the head. A sinus hemorrhage is also possible, and it's reported that more than a few older people have actually sustained brain injury and possible death just out of fear of committing a social faux pas like a violent sneeze.

There's more danger possible as well. People have not only accidentally severely bitten their tongues during such an episode, they've severed parts of their tongues as well. Just because of the bacteria and organisms present in even the cleanest mouths can make the simple act of biting a chunk out of an inner cheek turn into a long recovery that must be watched carefully for infection.

More than a few have broken teeth by the force with which your upper and lower jaw can snap shut in the process. Even ruptures within the throat may occur or a esophagus can be damaged.

Then there is the issue of a relatively rare yet still possible effect of a repressed sneeze or anything else that causes injury to the face: facial emphysema, a condition seen both in adults and children. Potentially deadly because it can restrict air supply, facial emphysema - either from a repressed sneeze, anesthesia, or some dental work - can create deep air spaces in the face and neck, sometimes extending as far as into the lungs. Signs are typically facial and/or neck swelling and discomfort and medical treatment should be sought immediately.

So give a sneeze the respect - and trajectory - it deserves: carry around a quickly accessible pocket pack of tissues and sneeze away! The face and head you protect can be your very own.

You're really into your sneezes x

You would hate me with a passion, I sneeze violently and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I seriously think if I tried to keep a sneeze in my head would explode.
I have had awful hayfever this year, the other week it woke me up at 4 in the morning and I sneezed solidly for an hour and a half :cry: I was exhausted.
I think my other half was contemplating strangling me at one point, I could see it in his half awake eyes :|

My husband occasionally has unexplained and quite extreme sneezing fits that leave him feeling drained and extremely fed up with them. Something we can't fathom must irritate him somehow and you can hear him all over the house. He seriously cannot help it.

Crikey, if he were able to suppress that lot, I think I'd be scraping him in bits off the ceiling! :eek:

My husband occasionally has unexplained and quite extreme sneezing fits that leave him feeling drained and extremely fed up with them. Something we can't fathom must irritate him somehow and you can hear him all over the house. He seriously cannot help it.

Crikey, if he were able to suppress that lot, I think I'd be scraping him in bits off the ceiling! :eek:

Same with my husband Deena, and my Dad was the same.

So glad I stumbled across this thread, I have struggled with sensitivity to noise since I was about 17 but only found out about this condition a couple of months ago.

I have always shied away from loud noise and have always felt a sort of panic that I won't/can't hear something important, so I always wrongly assumed I had poor hearing. I could never hoover or shower because the noise would make me so anxious and my grandparents had to get rid of the high frequency cat scaring thingy in their garden as it affected me so badly.

It generally isn't just one noise or a certain volume that bothers me now but like you Blossom a collection of noises drive me insane, it's like I can't process them all at once. So people eating doesn't bother me but if the tv is on too it causes this awful mixture of panic and rage in me. If I'm already stressed or tired or hungry I have to remove myself from the situation otherwise I just burst into tears from pure frustration!

If anyone has found any coping mechanisms it would be great to share...otherwise there's a possibility I might batter my boyfriend to death with the fan he insists on putting on at the same time as the tv!

So glad I stumbled across this thread, I have struggled with sensitivity to noise since I was about 17 but only found out about this condition a couple of months ago.

I have always shied away from loud noise and have always felt a sort of panic that I won't/can't hear something important, so I always wrongly assumed I had poor hearing. I could never hoover or shower because the noise would make me so anxious and my grandparents had to get rid of the high frequency cat scaring thingy in their garden as it affected me so badly.

It generally isn't just one noise or a certain volume that bothers me now but like you Blossom a collection of noises drive me insane, it's like I can't process them all at once. So people eating doesn't bother me but if the tv is on too it causes this awful mixture of panic and rage in me. If I'm already stressed or tired or hungry I have to remove myself from the situation otherwise I just burst into tears from pure frustration!

If anyone has found any coping mechanisms it would be great to share...otherwise there's a possibility I might batter my boyfriend to death with the fan he insists on putting on at the same time as the tv!

Pellet guns. They should stop people making noise after the first initial scream.

What drives me completely demented is being in the car with the OH. He is constantly changing radio stations, like every 15 seconds. I can't cope with the constant changing. I start to concentrate on one thing and the it's off and I've got something else I need to focus on. Intelligent him to stop, that I'm going to get a migraine but he just ignores me.

Anyone hoovering needs the pellet gun. Only I can Hoover. No one else. Motorbikes revving. Again, the pellet gun. The hedge cutters and the lawn mower. Anyone chopping wood or a repetitive banging (kids love banging) mine don't, due to the pellet gun. A dog barking goes right through me. Can't pellet gun that though but I could its owners. A ball being bounced on the pavement, again, it's repetitive banging. I could go on and on and on.

Just a parting one....coughing. If anyone coughs they're dead meat.

Latest posts

Back