Mixing Glitter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
I need a bit of help.... I want to mix some glitter with my gels but I have absolutely no idea how to measure it all. What do you use to measure the gel and/or glitter out with and what ratios do you use? Do any of you have any recipes?

Any help would be great thanks.

HI
i have been looking into mixing glitter with acylic i,m not sure if its the same with gel, if you look at www.christiesnails.com , she has somr great nail art and has the recipes with it. one day i hope to get to her stardard she is great.
Also can anyone tell me if c.n.d sell glitters to mix as today i went to my local distrubuter and he said it was,nt adviceable to mix glitter with acylic as it mixes the ratio up i,m confused

Yes I've taken a look at Christie's nails and they are certainly nails to aspire to... unfortunately she mixes with powders so I don't know how it work with gel

Mani-fique! said:
I need a bit of help.... I want to mix some glitter with my gels but I have absolutely no idea how to measure it all. What do you use to measure the gel and/or glitter out with and what ratios do you use? Do any of you have any recipes?

Any help would be great thanks.

Hi Mani-fique,

What Gel do you use - I use NSI Balance Gels - they do different coloured Acrylic powders and you can mix gel with those - also you can use any glitter to mix with the Gels. With the acrylic powders they sell them in a pack with the measurments also.

Have fun and experiment!

Lynn

I use Brisa, Lynn if that makes any difference. I thought you couldn't mix acrylic powders as it starts the polymerisation..... I may of got this wrong of course.... so if anyone can enlighten..... but if you can....how would I use with Brisa?

Hi Tamm,
I use LCN and find the following a very quick and easy way to apply a permanent glitter finish:

I mix a fine grade glitter (nothing chunky as a/its looks horrible and b/makes the nail rough and lumpy) with a sealant gel....just keep adding glitter to the sealant until you get a smooth paste to work with.
after buffing and smoothing the scuplting gel, use a spot swirl/dotter to place the glitter mixture around the free edge.
Once you have a rough smile line use a small brush to gently push the glitter down to create a crisp smile line.
Cure this in the light unit then finish off with two coats of sealant.

The effects are fab my clients are loving it!! I am experimenting with coloured gels and glitter...the possibilities are endless!!

Have fun
Clare x

I don't use a specific ratio when mixing glitter with my gels, i prefer to do it by eye. The important thing to remeber is not to add too much glitter, or else the gel will not set properly because the glitter blocks the uv light. Then you will get the gel "crumbling" off the nail. When i do a glitter french manicure, i mix the glitter with a CLEAR builder gel (so the color stays true) and after applying the base gel i build the french manicure portion of the nail with the glitter gel and cure. Then i use my pink build gel to fill in the rest of the nail. With this method you can file any bumps out of the nail without filing away all of your glitter and then you can just add your finishing gel as usual. It's less messy than building your nail as usual then having to paint a glitter fm on top (leaves a lump at the front) and then still having to worry about getting a smoothe finish at the end (so you don't feel the glitter)

The important thing to remeber is not to add too much glitter, or else the gel will not set properly because the glitter blocks the uv light.
So how would you get a more solid looking glitter mix? Would you have to do two layers and cure in between?

I mix a fine grade glitter (nothing chunky as a/its looks horrible and b/makes the nail rough and lumpy) with a sealant gel....just keep adding glitter to the sealant until you get a smooth paste to work with.
after buffing and smoothing the scuplting gel, use a spot swirl/dotter to place the glitter mixture around the free edge.
Once you have a rough smile line use a small brush to gently push the glitter down to create a crisp smile line.
Cure this in the light unit then finish off with two coats of sealant
Sealant gel? Would this be the equivalent to the UV Top Gloss of Brisa? So I take it I can mix the glitter with any of the gels? I.E. clear/pink building gel and the UV Top Gloss? Do any of you make a light glitter mix with any of the whites? What about the White Gel Paint is that able to take any glitter?

I think using a dotting tool is a great idea!

Is there anyone who uses Brisa that has tried glitter who could run me through the steps or tell me how they've got on?

Great help guys.. thanks:hug:

Sealant gel? Would this be the equivalent to the UV Top Gloss of Brisa? So I take it I can mix the glitter with any of the gels? I.E. clear/pink building gel and the UV Top Gloss? Do any of you make a light glitter mix with any of the whites? What about the White Gel Paint is that able to take any glitter?

Hi again, yes sealant gel is the thin gel top coat, and yes you can mix glitter with any gel as long as it is clear. mixing with pink or opaque wont give you such a clear finish. Providing you apply the glitter mixture thinly you won't get a bump at the end of the nail.
I have cured a french manicure finish and then applied clear/silver glitter over the top of this which looks quite effective.....wouldnt advice mixing the two together though.

HTH
Clare

Latest posts

Back