MMA banned in the USA but why not here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loo

Reaction score
With all the posts about MMA I started to wonder the following questions. When did MMA get banned in the USA and how?
Why can it not be banned or why isnt it banned in this country? I know there have been many petitions against and I am sure many clients who have had serious problems from the nss salons and the use of MMA. Why is there nothing we can do at the moment about this. There are more and more of these salons popping up especially where I live I have noticed quite a few. Unfortunately I have also seen first hand the damage that was done at one of these salons on a girl who I used to work with when I looked after children her finger is now swollen and will never go down properly and the nail is thick and discoloured. She was too embarased and shy to ever do anything about it and this salon is still in business. A normal legit salon wouldnt be able to get away with this so why do nss. They reputedly push back cuticles with a dirty finger nail or their credit cards. This is discusting so why are they allowed to run their salons in such a filthy way. There is not much cleanliness about these places from what I have heard. Apparantly clients return to salons like this because thet are cheap quick and their nails seem strong they are unaware of the actual damage and risks of this type of salon and what it uses.

Hope someone can answer my questions and I would also be interested in knowing what can be done in the future to stop this type of activity and these products being used so all nail techs can only use EMA acrylic. The MMA industry are giving us a bad name to some degree as alot of clients think after having MMA nails that as it is classed as acrylic they dont want acrylics again so they spread the word that it is acrylic that damages your nails even though they dont know that it is actually MMA and the bad techs damaging the nail plate. So in the future when wanting enhancements quite often they will only have gel and not acrylic as this has put them off.
I know for a fact that since using Craetive acrylic on my nails even when I have broken one which is rare for me my nails have been perfectly strong and in very good condition underneath I just wished the general public knew that there are better alternatives and not all acrylics damage your nails it's the techs and MMA that is damaging. I try to educate my clients about this and they appreciate the knowledge and have told me they wished they knew before they went to one of these nss. They also ask me but why is it not banned here and I find that a difficult question to answer.

i too would be very interested in the answer to this !!!!! i find it hard to explain it aswell to my clients!
i will watch this thread with interest

loo said:
With all the posts about MMA I started to wonder the following questions.
When did MMA get banned in the USA and how?

Why can it not be banned or why isnt it banned in this country?

I try to educate my clients about this and they appreciate the knowledge and have told me they wished they knew before they went to one of these nss. They also ask me but why is it not banned here and I find that a difficult question to answer.

Here Here Loo...

Looking forward to reading some repsonses on this.

http://www.aqmd.gov/hb/1998/980919a.html

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has restricted or prohibited the use of MMA since 1995."

as for how to get it prohibited across the pond... i'm no help there! (wish i was, sorry!)

Just another thing to throw into the pot, Bristol City Council recently conducted a H&S audit of all nail salons within the City and believe it or not, they found no evidence that the NSS were using MMA......but their practices and procedures were still NSS.

Last I heard, 38 states had explicitly made it illegal to use MMA monomer in the application of enhancements - however even that took awhile to happen.

It wont happen here because no one will die from it. In essence, it means that the government doesn't consider it a dangerous enough situation to warrant the time and cost to make it explicitly illegal.

The Nail Geek said:
Last I heard, 38 states had explicitly made it illegal to use MMA monomer in the application of enhancements - however even that took awhile to happen.

It wont happen here because no one will die from it. In essence, it means that the government doesn't consider it a dangerous enough situation to warrant the time and cost to make it explicitly illegal.

Mr Geek :sad: Does that mean it will never happen here surely the salons can get shut down if they do not comply to health and safety standards like restaurants would if they were found to be dirty etc health inspectors should be visiting NSS nail salons and see that by pushing cutticles back with credit cards is not the way. So many people have ended up with problems which will never rectify themselves through infections etc from their dirty tools or should I say credit cards lol It is so frustrating as I guess it is for people like you who are educating the industry to make it better. I wish there was something we could do. Ive spoken to alot of my clients about this and they are angry with the way they had been treated in these salons and apparantly wont go back but some poeple still do even though they know it cant be right because they are cheap etc. Why do the government not have an industry standard which has to allow people will prevent the use of MMA as well as have to ge these salons to stay clean and use correct implements etc?
Does it really mean that someone has to die before the goverment will do anything about this, I dont understand why our country being so wise etc are so behind on this either its more a csae of they think its not serious enough for the to deal with is that right, how terrible.:sad:

they dont care here as long as they are paying tax
as long as the government make money they dontcare unless it is life threatening

Thats where HABIA comes in. The code of practice should stipulate that MMA is not a suitable monomer for use in creating nail enhancments. If I understand correctly, that would mean that any salons using MMA could be sited for not adhering to the COP. However im not 100% sure if thats the case.

Unless using MMA is life threatening, Pariliment will not give it the time of day when compared to the other pressing matters they have before them.

It sucks, but its reality :)

Would it make any difference if the goverment knew more about the damage etc I guess people have sent in petitions and perhpas letters but they prob get over looked. Is there anything our industry can do?

loo said:
Would it make any difference if the goverment knew more about the damage etc I guess people have sent in petitions and perhpas letters but they prob get over looked. Is there anything our industry can do?

I believe that we as a nail community have the power to get this seen by many mp's and hopefully have it addressed as the serious matter which it is.
If we could form a online petition to ban mma being used in the uk this could be done through this site and then we could forward it to every mp in this country including the pm. Surely this will get the issue noticed ;)
I am also going to write a letter regarding mma to my local mp.

I beleive that Rachel Myatt from KaSaRa had a petition on her website asking people to sign it, well you know add your name via internet to the petition, and that was supposed to be being handed into Downing Street. I couldnt add my details at the time as the site wouldnt let me, but havnt gone back to see if i can do it still or even if it is there.

But i think that we all should petition about it, or do a walk to Downing Street and get the newspapers to report on it!! Get the correct message out there once and for all!!!!!!!!!!:green:

At the time of the 'Bristol Nail Audit' the H&S team had taken a lot of advice from HABIA....I was grilling them as much as they were grilling me....and had also looked to the London Boroughs where licensing is required also. They knew about NSS salons and the practices they use and were 'so say' going to implement some H&S workshops for sub-standard salon....obviously I didn't come under this category and passed with flying colours...well almost lol....they have to find something, don't they....but I didn't need a follow up visit....so I don't know if these workshops ever took place.

Although there is no licensing from the vast majority of local councils, I think that well informed H&S teams should have license to close down NSS for breach of practice....hopefully this will come when HABIA publish their nail practice standards and code of conduct.....not necessarliy a need for minimum qualification or state licensing as they have in the States...but practices and a code of conduct set down by a Government body that nail salon must adhere to.

Incidentally, HABIA sell a H&S pack for nail salons which encompasses everything you need to complete you H&S paper trail.

Hopefully, you don't think that just because something is banned in the US that it still isn't being used. The use of MMA is one of the big issues with us nail techs here. The State Regulators are supposed to be checking things like that, but normally, there aren't enough of them to tackle the task, so it continues as though the ban didn't even exist. Without customer complaints (about other things - a regular customer won't know the difference bewteen MMA and what's supposed to be used) - to get the regulators in those places in the first place, I doubt anything will be done. Its almost like we need a watchdog group to go in and have work done (how dangerous!) and then complain to the right people for a change. Its a tough subject and one I'm sure will be debated for a long, long time.

~ Kelli

Lellipop said:
I believe that we as a nail community have the power to get this seen by many mp's and hopefully have it addressed as the serious matter which it is.
If we could form a online petition to ban mma being used in the uk this could be done through this site and then we could forward it to every mp in this country including the pm. Surely this will get the issue noticed ;)
I am also going to write a letter regarding mma to my local mp.

I agree L we should do something !!!!!

With the industry standards is there anything we can do the habia who write the guidelines should surely oversee that these are being adhered to?

Like another poster stated, it might be banned here in the US, but they still use it EVERYWHERE!
A year ago here in my state there were only a few state inspectors, they cannot visit every salon that is reported using MMA. Another reason they are not able to test every complaint for MMA is because it costs the state aproximately $1000.00 (may be higher by now) to do one test to check for MMA.
These are a few of the reasons here in the US salons are still using MMA.

I wouldn't know where to get MMA products from (obviously not that i want to!).

Where do these people get the stuff from..........I am sure Sallys dont stock it!! Do they import it themselves?
Does anyone know of specific brands/makes/suppliers that do have it in or supply it?

I think the banning of the dreaded stuff will come in eventually and probably at the same time we all become licenced. But I am sure even with everyone licenced there will still be NSS salons flouting rules.

I would like to know why it isn't banned worldwide. I have seen the damage caused by this type of enhancement. I always ask myself "if it is not a good enough product for America to use on the nails why is it good enough for the rest of us to contend with?"

Just a thought!

Nerida

loo said:
Mr Geek :sad: Does that mean it will never happen here surely the salons can get shut down if they do not comply to health and safety standards like restaurants would if they were found to be dirty etc health inspectors should be visiting NSS nail salons and see that by pushing cutticles back with credit cards is not the way. So many people have ended up with problems which will never rectify themselves through infections etc from their dirty tools or should I say credit cards lol It is so frustrating as I guess it is for people like you who are educating the industry to make it better. I wish there was something we could do. Ive spoken to alot of my clients about this and they are angry with the way they had been treated in these salons and apparantly wont go back but some poeple still do even though they know it cant be right because they are cheap etc. Why do the government not have an industry standard which has to allow people will prevent the use of MMA as well as have to ge these salons to stay clean and use correct implements etc?

Does it really mean that someone has to die before the goverment will do anything about this, I dont understand why our country being so wise etc are so behind on this either its more a csae of they think its not serious enough for the to deal with is that right, how terrible.:sad:

Sorry if I sound thick but whats NSS? Keep hearing the name but don't know what it is.:(

Judy....

NSS - Non Standard Salon

Do a search and you will find load on the subject!! Basically, salons that do not adhere to any sort of quality training, cleanliness, or practices, or even in some case morals!!

Latest posts

Back