Mobile but can't drive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachey

Reaction score
Hi geeks! I would love to hear your views on this. I can't drive yet but was thinking to offer a mobile service to people locally, offering shellac and manicures, I would have to go via public transport or a cab.. Has anyone or does anyone else do this? And how do you find it?

I did this for awhile before I started to room rent - I was only covering my own local area so never had far too walk ......total pain in the bum ! Lugging stuff about , out of control animals , children , moaning husbands etc etc lol I think even if I had a car I wouldn't of enjoyed being mobile :) x

Sorry, but I wouldnt even entertain the idea.
Even staying reasonably local, you cannot rely on public transport, especially if you have 3,4,5,6 appointments in one day.
x

It's a big enough task packing the car up and driving between appointments and carrying things from car to clients house never mind bus etc! and what happens when you've finished your appointment you have to wait around for bus or taxi with all your things ...at best when mobile you can fit 4-5 clients in per day depending on treatment length and how far between clients you'd probably manage half of that if that by the time you pay taxi/bus fares it probably wouldn't be worth it!

Last edited:
im a hairdresser and dont drive, i use public transport which busses are every 15min/20mins, i only do my local area, i make sure i leave plenty of time to get to A-B.

I don't think it would be financially viable... You would be worn out, and lose time waiting for transport.xx

I don't think it would be financially viable... You would be worn out, and lose time waiting for transport.xx

It cost me nothing for transport I live with lots of huge housing estates within walking distance of my house - but I didn't enjoy being in other peoples houses with their pets kids etc x

i see you are from London.I've been working without a car for 2 years and am learning driving at the moment. i live in NW London and travel almost every day to central London, as my rates are too high for local area, so I hardly have any clients locally.It depends what treatments are you going to offer. I started with just nails and a large silver case was enough for me. Now I am qualified in waxing and make-up, therefore I need a car, as I often get requests for combination of these treatments and it means more stuff to carry.
I would say, go for it to start off and then learn driving. Using taxi or minicab is too expensive. I only do it in emergency or for urgent appointments when the client is happy to pay for it. Plan your routes in advance and you won't waste time waiting for a bus.
Also, it depends on your target area - in Central London there is a major problem with parking, so consider that too.

Good on you facing up to to all the odds stacked against you. I could not do this without a car, maybe because I am lazy, maybe because geographically it would be too expensive as I live in a very spread out area. 20 miles each way is quite normal but I do charge for some fuel. So well done you for taking the bull by the horns and having a go.

Worst 3 months of my life being mobile without a car. My little Betty Boop gets me everywhere and I would NOT be mobile without her. (she's my car before you all think I'm riding a pony or something ;) Obviously im completely mad anyway lol)

Taxis are way too expensive. You can walk but sometimes I struggle just to get to a client at the end of my road if I'm taking my pedi bowl etc. I drive round the corner if I'm taking my couch because it's just too heavy :(

Anyway good luck in what you decide but I would say do your road and maybe the next few to start with, get as many people on board as possible and get lifts where you can. Apart from working your back will ache carrying and rolling stuff along x

Okay thanks for all your views ladies! Much appreciated!

I started out mobile when I first qualified (many many years ago!!!!) i could not drive and ived in a small village in South Wales and used to make sure that I booked same treatments in a day so that I didn't have to carry entire kit with me and used to walk from appointment to appointment, so perfectly doable.....is that a word?????

I had all my kit packed into a baby box and attached to suitcase wheels.....happy days haha

Latest posts

Back