Mobile but considering home based

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharmalee_amie

Reaction score
Just wondering how other geeks have got on with converting from mobile to home based, I'm thinking of putting a log cabin in my back garden but have quite a big mobile round but I'm a bit frightened I may lose my clients.

Hey honey

No real help as such, but have you tried speaking to your clients. Im mobile, rent a treatment cabin as and when and recently added a home salon. Not been working from home for long so no big migration over, but in my experience (though limited) you will probably get some who will wish to remain mobile, some happy to come to you and others that won't mind either way. I have die hard mobile clients based solely on their lifestyle; poorly kids, hectic homelife and such like. I have another regular who jumped at the chance of coming to me and others who work round my schedule or previously booked in clients. New clients i tend to book in to come to me.

Not a huge help i know but talk to your clients and get the lie of the land.

Love n hugs.

I stopped being mobile in the middle of August and now work from a room in my house.

I had 52 mobile regulars and 45 of them are now coming to me :)

I still visit 7 of them for various reasons (mostly out of courtesy as they have been with me since I started and can't get to the home salon) but they are in areas quite near each other so I can group them together. There are 4 in one area which I go to every 3 weeks and 3 in another area which I go to every other week so it works out well for all of us!

Everyone has been more than happy to follow me to the home salon, and I've had some great feedback.

I think if your work is quality and you get on well with your clients they will still come! I thought I'd have to start from scratch when I opened the room but everyone has been so supportive and most say they prefer it anyway.

I think you will be fine :) have faith in yourself. If you need to advertise a little more to encourage people to come to you, do so! I put a "15% off treatments over £20" reward for people that come to me - it's an incentive and once they see how nice it is they want to come back anyway ;) It works for me - I don't spend out on petrol (great for me as I was doing a 15mile radius :eek: ) and they get a couple of quid off.

Best of luck!!

xxx

I've actively been running down the mobile side of my business for ages now, I suppose its been over a couple years really. I stopped offering mobile to new clients, took it off my price list and didnt even mention it to anyone. I've asked a couple of clients if they'd mind coming to me as I just didnt have the time to do mobile anymore, they were absolutely fine.

I still have a few (about 4) clients I've agreed to carry on seeing for reasons similar to Verdepurdy and on very special occasions; like wedding make up, I'll go out but clients understand this is a premium service.

All in all its been a very easy transfer from mobile to home based but I did it really slowly and didnt just spring it on clients.

Karaxxx

I am mobile and I am conciderng doiing beauty in my home too, I'm thinking about doing a few days mobile and a few days home based to see how it goes as some of my clients don't drive and I will have to doo some mobile beauty anyway.

Can't you do a bit of both. Say 3 days at home & the other two out in the field to start with ?? Winding it down until everything is done at your home ?? Might be the best option to start with ;)

Thank you for your replies I have been thinking about doing some mobile still, I've got quite a bit of work left on my log cabin yet, but think I will take your advice talk to customers and then stop taking anymore mobile after a little bit of time!

I was mobile for the first couple of years and once I got busy it drove me nuts.

Some of my appointments were home based too, so I was constantly packing and unpacking . . . . a few times I would forget something crucial and have to pop back and before you know it you're 20 mins behind schedule and it mucks up your whole day's appointments.

Once I made the decision to work from home it was like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. The stress just disappeared almost instantly.

Everyone was happy to come to me instead, a lot of them said things like "ooh lovely I can escape from the husband/baby/mother for a while" and lots said they preferred it! With the exception of a couple of disabled people and I am still mobile for them, it would have been impossible for them to get to me. But we're talking 2 mobile appointments every 3/4 weeks so it's cool.

Edit to add: Just a thought on the log cabin, I don't know if it would be in a shady position or anything but it just crossed my mind it could get really hot in summer which would mean your acrylics setting too quickly and it would make your gels runny. I think it's a lovely idea though, not trying to put obstacles in the way lol just something to maybe think about. x

Thank you soo much for Your reply blossom it has made me feel a whole lot more relieved to know others have made it work, I will definitely look into the acrylic situation I was thinking about air-con/heating

I stopped being mobile in the middle of August and now work from a room in my house.

I had 52 mobile regulars and 45 of them are now coming to me :)

I still visit 7 of them for various reasons (mostly out of courtesy as they have been with me since I started and can't get to the home salon) but they are in areas quite near each other so I can group them together. There are 4 in one area which I go to every 3 weeks and 3 in another area which I go to every other week so it works out well for all of us!

Everyone has been more than happy to follow me to the home salon, and I've had some great feedback.

I think if your work is quality and you get on well with your clients they will still come! I thought I'd have to start from scratch when I opened the room but everyone has been so supportive and most say they prefer it anyway.

I think you will be fine :) have faith in yourself. If you need to advertise a little more to encourage people to come to you, do so! I put a "15% off treatments over £20" reward for people that come to me - it's an incentive and once they see how nice it is they want to come back anyway ;) It works for me - I don't spend out on petrol (great for me as I was doing a 15mile radius :eek: ) and they get a couple of quid off.

Best of luck!!

xxx

Do you mind me asking how you explained to your mobile clients that you could no longer visit them?
I have been mobile for the past year ish, as well as working full time in a spa. I have recently had to pick up more hours due to a new job role within the spa and with doing mobile on the side, I think I have bitten off more than I can chew! I have a small room at home where I have a few of my clients who visit me, which I don't mind at all! It's easy for me rather than travelling here, there and everywhere after a 9 hour shift! I'm worried I will loose my mobile clients, how can I explain to them my situation whilst trying to keep them as my clients!? X

Hi

I'm home based, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Mobile for me personally is too much hard work, packing, unpacking, packing, lugging things in and out of car, some clients might be in flats.
Weather rubbish most of the time!

Home you can work around what you want. I'm sure if your clients like your service you provide they will come to you, you might have like someone else mentioned in one of the replies, that can't get away. I think you have to be prepared to lose a few if really want to start from home.
Maybe give them some notice that your setting up from home.

Good luck hope what ever you decide works out best for you!

Latest posts

Back