Mobile Hairdressing help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily smith

Reaction score
I am thinking about becoming a mobile hairdresser. I've been in a salon for 3 years now and think it's time to go it alone! I already have a few clients lined up. Trouble is i'm not sure about all the equipment i will need to do it mobile. I've looked into this a bit and there is so much stuff please can someone tell me exactly what i'll need so i don't waste my money on stuff I don't need! Thanks.

Hey there! I went mobile back in march after workin in a salon for 9 years and it is the best thing I ever did and I wish Id done it sooner. Money is better, u can arrange you appointments to suit you and you are your own boss! All you need is basically everything you would use in a salon, some colour charts, a fold up hood dryer if you are doing sets, a few towels etc. I only use my towels wen colouring or perming otherwise I use the clients. As for washing the hair, i have a shower attachment for taps but it doesnt work on mixer taps. Most people just lean over the bath or use a jug and bowl if nothing else. Regarding colours, I get my clients to choose a colour before the appointment, and just get what I need as I go from my local Sallys as it is expensive to keep every colour, and many of them you may never use. Hope this helps and good luck to you!!:)

Hi Lily smith , that is excellent advice from Bri84 , and if you do a search on on the the search bar above you will probably find loads more advice on there too
good luck :hug: minky x

colourwise i use 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and bleach. i mix them to make what is missing, if that makes sense?
i also have a red. i use wella so 55/45, a gold, 8/3 and a ash 12/11, if i need anything else i wait till client has booked the appointment. i can usually funtion pretty smooth with them.
i also have the attacthment for the taps which was £2 fron teco in the bathroom department, but 99% have it washed over the bath, i found primark had cheaper towels than the whole salers and they washreally nice.
then u just need the other stuff as in hairspray, serum, blow wave spray, foils, streaking cap, bowls brushes, perm rods, setting rollers, combs brushes, hairdryer ovb... lol

i use bedhead on clients and if they wish to purchase any i say one week and get it from the wholesalers and add a few quid on, it works well.

hope this helps and best of luck xxxxxxxxx
p.s go on vista print and get free business cards done you pay around £5 for posting thats it, they look really proffesionnal x

Hi Lily

Check out the Freelance Hair and Beauty Federation (you can google this). Its an absolutely fantastic organisation working with freelancers to ensure that standards are maintained and that you have ALL of the information you need to practice independently i.e. insurance, tax etc. as well as being incredibly well looked after by the team that work for them!

There is a small annual membership fee, and it really is well worth the investment if this is something you want to do seriously. it also gives you the chance to network with other freelancers, as well as pointing you in the right direction for further training and education, as sometimes accessing this is more difficult/expensive when you're out of a Salon environment.

Check them out...I HIGHLY recommend them! I am sure they can help you with all of your queries, no matter how small they might seem!

MHD x x x

Hey there! I went mobile back in march after workin in a salon for 9 years and it is the best thing I ever did and I wish Id done it sooner. Money is better, u can arrange you appointments to suit you and you are your own boss! All you need is basically everything you would use in a salon, some colour charts, a fold up hood dryer if you are doing sets, a few towels etc. I only use my towels wen colouring or perming otherwise I use the clients. As for washing the hair, i have a shower attachment for taps but it doesnt work on mixer taps. Most people just lean over the bath or use a jug and bowl if nothing else. Regarding colours, I get my clients to choose a colour before the appointment, and just get what I need as I go from my local Sallys as it is expensive to keep every colour, and many of them you may never use. Hope this helps and good luck to you!!:)

This is exactly the same for me, but you may find u wont need a mixer tap attachment as most clients will have a shower head and if they dont a jug would be fine, some prefer it washing over the kitchen sink and many elderly are more comfy with that.

Also dont forget to be stocked up with colour caps and gloves. You will need your gowns and capes and colour bowls etc. Many clients provide their own shampoos unless its a colour or perm.

Latest posts

Back