Mobile/home therapist - tax question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelygirl85

Reaction score
FAO self employed

When you decided to set up on your own....did you declare yourself immediately and then build up a client base or did you go opposite way and create interest first etc?

I currently work part time 21 hrs p/wk, but would like to set up my own mobile business, however I'm not sure whether to declare myself right now or wait until I've built up client base and ready to commit myself fully ie give up my other job

Any advice greatly received x

FAO self employed

When you decided to set up on your own....did you declare yourself immediately and then build up a client base or did you go opposite way and create interest first etc?

I currently work part time 21 hrs p/wk, but would like to set up my own mobile business, however I'm not sure whether to declare myself right now or wait until I've built up client base and ready to commit myself fully ie give up my other job

Any advice greatly received x

Hi there, it's been a while since I set up so I'm afraid I'm a bit hazy on what the law says.
I strongly suggest you have a look on the hmrc web site about business start ups. That should tell you all the ins and outs, how far back before the business start up you can include receipts & training costs, etc.
Or you could contact somewhere like business link to find out what the latest changes (if any) in the law will do to effect you.
hth x

The HMRC website states that you must declare yourself as Self Employed within three months of starting your business.

I would also recommend that you get yourself some public liability insurance as well. I am assuming you have the relevant qualifications as you have not completed your profile.

Thanks!
I'm currently training however have been practicing quite a bit and would like to properly start my business in August.
Think I'll speak to hmrc on mon.
Really want to do it right, but seems such a leap when I'm so new x

Thanks!
I'm currently training however have been practicing quite a bit and would like to properly start my business in August.
Think I'll speak to hmrc on mon.
Really want to do it right, but seems such a leap when I'm so new x

Trust me darlin, that never changes:lol: it's always a leap, every time you learn something new, add a new retail range, change how you work, ie from mobile to salon. My advice is, sooner rather than later, the more time you give yourself to think, the harder it is to take the plunge.
Insurance companies to look at for quotes are Salon gold, abt, the beauty guild and I'm sure others can advise on others.
Look at them all and get like for like quotes.
A couple of years ago Salon gold were the best value by a long shot but this year I've found, for myself that abt are better.
Get a web site, one of our lovely geeks Ruth Mills gives a good price to us on salon geek.
Business cards, shop around moo.com and vista print seem to be the best. If you are going to have leaflets, look locally to you for those, around my area I can get 1000 for £12 which is way better than I've found on line.
Oh and a little dig, fill in your profile, it helps us to help you if we know exactly what you've done and are going to do. Good luck :hug:

Latest posts

Back