Mobile phone on shop floor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molliemoo

Reaction score
Hi, I have a stylist working in my establishment who is constantly on her mobile phone either taking calls or on the social network, I have on numerous occasion told her about this as well as the other members of staff. Yesterday was the final straw her mobile phone rang which she has in her top pocket rang while she was doing a set of Foils,she took the call but still carried on doing the Foils with it putting it up against her ear. I don’t work in the salon, but have a manager who told her to put the phone down, I am concerned that this maybe a regular thing that goes on in the salon, any ideas of how to approach her once again.(she says she needs it with her in case of an emergency.

I’m assuming this is an employed member of staff?
I would not stand for such ridiculous nonsense for a second. Your manager sounds incompetent if this is still happening regularly. What steps has the manager taken to address the issue? Has she issued any formal verbal warnings?

As they are employed, it’s perfectly reasonable to require staff to keep their phones in their bags during working hours so they can reply to messages etc. when on a tea/lunch break only. It’s not normal or acceptable to pick up and use your phone when you are being paid to work.

Do you have a staff handbook? It should include your policy explaining when staff can and cannot use their phones. Also, it needs to include how you will operate your disciplinary procedures. If not, you need to make this your first priority.
Once you have implemented this, explain that this applies equally to all staff regardless and that failure to adhere to the policy will be dealt with as a disciplinary matter and could result in them losing their job.

Start with a verbal warning and move on from there.

Remind them that if there’s an emergency the person calling her needs to ring 999 otherwise, it’s not an emergency! If there was ever a genuine need for someone to urgently contact your member of staff, the person calling can always phone your salon landline.

You need to get on top of this now!

Thats very unprofessional behaviour!!!! I have never seen that in any salon before, the client must be so horrified!

I’ve told my staff to give Shop number to schools etc for emergencies. It’s worked well.

Hi, I have a stylist working in my establishment who is constantly on her mobile phone either taking calls or on the social network, I have on numerous occasion told her about this as well as the other members of staff. Yesterday was the final straw her mobile phone rang which she has in her top pocket rang while she was doing a set of Foils,she took the call but still carried on doing the Foils with it putting it up against her ear. I don’t work in the salon, but have a manager who told her to put the phone down, I am concerned that this maybe a regular thing that goes on in the salon, any ideas of how to approach her once again.(she says she needs it with her in case of an emergency.
If you make it a rule in your shop and every employee is aware of it then the rule needs to be followed. If you have a shop phone then your staff needs to give out that number to whom ever needs to contact them if there is an emergency . I have noticed that cell phones have become a huge issue in salons. I have my phone on silent at work and I have two children, there school has my work number in case of an emergency. One one should be answering their phone while they have a client in their chair, it's just rude! Almost every business out there has a policy in place regarding cell phone in the work place and salons should be no different! Make it a written rule that everyone must follow.

Latest posts

Back