Mobile phone theft in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Jeeeez I've had the worst day!

So we had what I think was a foreign looking guy come into the salon today talking in a foreign language which I've never heard before, after repeating several times I couldn't understand him he got out a newspaper to show us a picture of a hair colour while waving the newspaper over a mobile phone which he then took!

The phone belonged to my self employed colleague! I've been open two weeks!

I feel I should somehow do something but my insurance doesn't cover her and she was sold the wrong insurance from EE (they gave her one insurance option which she took)

Do you lock the door and ask people to knock or what ? It's made me feel unsafe as I work alone most days! ( I do lock the door on an evening though)

Just feel like crying! X

[edited to remove reference to race]

Last edited by a moderator:
Its an old tried and tested method, Husband had his mobile stolen a similar method about 10 years ago. He was approached in a pub by a foreign woman with a map who placed it over the phone whilst asking for directions, then swept up the map and his phone.

Please report it to the police it's usually a team doing it in the area before moving on, and they'll want to know.

Witg regards to going forward in your salon, its not feasible to lock the door, you need to ensure mobiles are not left in plain sight, money drawer/tilk is kept locked and out of sight too.

Can your self employed colleague claim off her business insurance?

Must be horrible I have never experienced anything like this, we don't have our phones out in the salon but if you have to maybe keep them on you?

I wouldn't worry about locking the door as your a business you wouldn't want people to think you were shut,
I was held up by knife point in broad daylight these sort of people really don't care,
I'm sure this was a one off x

It was standard bad timing we usually have our phones on our person for showing /taking pictures ect but she had just taken a pic and put it down rather than in her pocket!

Yeah I thought that about the door being locked just feel like want to throttle himX

So sorry to hear this. You are certainly being tested at the moment!

Try not to let it knock your confidence. These things happen fairly randomly and it might be better to see it as just having a patch of bad luck rather than anything personal.

Make sure you keep your personal belongings hidden out of sight and onwards and upwards. x

Try not to let it knock your confidence. These things happen fairly randomly and it might be better to see it as just having a patch of bad luck rather than anything personal.

Make sure you keep your personal belongings hidden out of sight and onwards and upwards. x

I know right my bad luck is certainly at a high! Thankyou for your advice and kind words x

I feel your pain! I was working early evening yesterday and had lights on, 2 cars parked and 2 guys came into my garden and stole stuff from my garden. Several hundreds worth.
Someone saw them and they ran away. We recovered the stuff they took and they came back again straight after.
I had to give a police statement in the middle of the appointment.
I left the stuff out and was also too trusting.

I feel your pain! I was working early evening yesterday and had lights on, 2 cars parked and 2 guys came into my garden and stole stuff from my garden. Several hundreds worth.
Someone saw them and they ran away. We recovered the stuff they took and they came back again straight after.
I had to give a police statement in the middle of the appointment.
I left the stuff out and was also too trusting.

But you would be ...You just don't expect people to come into your work and do this do you hope your ok x

Oh Dear I Feel your pain , my phone was stolen when I used to work in a salon , by two foreign looking women in front of 3 clients in reception waiting area it was in 2011 my husband got me new phone it was like 1 week old , they came in no staff in reception area (just clients waiting ) . They opened the till for money I guess and they found my phone near the book and goneeee :( , following day they came back again thinking easy to get stuff I screamed at them , and they ran away I was so angry , furious my salon insurance didn't cover me .
I reported police , they adviced us to have CCTV and that's it . I had no insurance my self as well so basically lost my phone .. it's rediculous how people can still other people stuff it really unacceptable . But we can't do other than being very careful ..

Try to forget it and not affect your self I know it's really hard for a week I was depressed ::(
Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some folk are just dog s**t! :mad:
You don't happen to be a Sagittarian by any chance....we seem to be having a bad time of it lately. :(

I don't think nationality is the issue, I feel partially at fault for leaving expensive equipment available! Anyone passing can take the opportunity.

But you would be ...You just don't expect people to come into your work and do this do you hope your ok x
I'm fine thank you. I have a home salon.
I took my 3 kids out tonight, got home and my son had left the keys in the door. I give up!!

Some folk are just dog s**t! :mad:
You don't happen to be a Sagittarian by any chance....we seem to be having a bad time of it lately. :(

No love I'm Libra (usually I'm balanced but I'm a full psycho at the moment haha)

Oh Dear I Feel your pain , my phone was stolen when I used to work in a salon , by two foreign looking women in front of 3 clients in reception waiting area it was in 2011 my husband got me new phone it was like 1 week old , they came in no staff in reception area (just clients waiting ) . They opened the till for money I guess and they found my phone near the book and goneeee :( , following day they came back again thinking easy to get stuff I screamed at them , and they ran away I was so angry , furious my salon insurance didn't cover me .
I reported police , they adviced us to have CCTV and that's it . I had no insurance my self as well so basically lost my phone .. it's rediculous how people can still other people stuff it really unacceptable . But we can't do other than being very careful ..

Try to forget it and not affect your self I know it's really hard for a week I was depressed ::(
Good luck :)

Yep i have CCTV but they have to actually catch the scumbag first! I bet they are all over the country doing this!

Yep i have CCTV but they have to actually catch the scumbag first! I bet they are all over the country doing this!

Hope you are feeling better now :) Yes they are too many of them , and quite difficult to catch as well. but worth reporting and forward them the CCTV Footage. also does she have Bank insurance ? that may cover as i have that ...

As above
It's not your fault, tbh with phones costing £500, mine doesn't leave my site.

£200 ctv from maplins we have, the monitor is on the main wall where walkins, clients and stylists can see it. We also have individual lockers for personal stuff, lockable.

As above
It's not your fault, tbh with phones costing £500, mine doesn't leave my site.

£200 ctv from maplins we have, the monitor is on the main wall where walkins, clients and stylists can see it. We also have individual lockers for personal stuff, lockable.

Beckybee can you send a pic of the one you have love... There's loads to choose from Xxx

To add, cctv won't actually stop a thief, it might identify thief, but again it might not get your items back.

We view it as a deterrent, hopefully a thief or trouble maker will see they are being recorded and go else where

Latest posts

Back