Mobile techs, what would you do in this situation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail_Sculptress

Reaction score
Hi everyone...I'm new on here ��

I qualified in L&P with NSI Nails five years ago...i have never done full time mobile nails as i have always fitted it around full/part time jobs therefore i still class myself as newly qualified and the prices I have been charging £10/15 for last 5 years (just put up to £17.50) reflect my lack of experience & I explain to my clients before hand that the nails may not always be perfect especially with Pink & Whites as im still learning & practising.

I just wondered what other Nail Techs would have done in this situation tho...

My Clients appointment was at 6:30pm & this text message was sent to me at 6:10pm...i was travelling to her house at the time.

I cant afford to lose any clients but I feel like im being walked over & bend over backwards for most of them.

The end result was I waited outside her house in the snow ❄️ until she got home & did sculptured pink & whites on a clear tip.

Example of my nails below..

Any advice I would be grateful for & i dont mind any critism of my nails.

Thanks guys xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421844690.415805.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1421844690.415805.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah bless you! I'm mobile & I have put up with some poop over the years, similar to this situation.your nails look more than fine to be charging a much more suitable price to cover your time skill & product!! Looking at this situation, in my opinion you have 2 issues here:-
1. Undercharging (as a result you have 2.) clients not seeing you as a professional or taking you seriously! To some of your clients they see this as merely "your hobby" & probably think they are doing you a favour, by letting you do their nails, therefore feel they can let you down at the last minute, rearrange etc. There are lots of things you can do, my advice would be, put up your prices to what you are worthy of, your work is good! Don't undersell yourself! Finally send out a blanket message to clients that any changes or cancellations need to be done 24 hrs in advance after this time a cancellation fee is chargeable or if you aren't comfortable doing this you could take a £5/£10 non-refundable deposit ie if they cancel 10 minutes before they lose it! I think if you give out signals that you aren't confident people will take you for a ride. Keep professional, have faith & confidence in yourself! Good luck! (& by the way, clients like the one you mentioned, you can afford to lose, she is probably costing you more in time & product than what you are making from her!)

Thankyou Fluffy26 for your reply i appreciate your advice & thankyou for the lovely comment about my nails...i am low in confidence and my clients know that 😬

...From now on i will be more confident, stricter with my clients timing & put my price up to a minimum of £20 ...hopefully this way they will start to realise that this is actually my job i have to earn a living from...fingers crossed 👍

Thanks again Fluffy26 😘 xxx

Yes definitely! Stick to your guns & don't be a pushover!! They'll soon realise they can't mess with you!! 😉x

Ah bless you! I'm mobile & I have put up with some poop over the years, similar to this situation.your nails look more than fine to be charging a much more suitable price to cover your time skill & product!! Looking at this situation, in my opinion you have 2 issues here:-
1. Undercharging (as a result you have 2.) clients not seeing you as a professional or taking you seriously! To some of your clients they see this as merely "your hobby" & probably think they are doing you a favour, by letting you do their nails, therefore feel they can let you down at the last minute, rearrange etc. There are lots of things you can do, my advice would be, put up your prices to what you are worthy of, your work is good! Don't undersell yourself! Finally send out a blanket message to clients that any changes or cancellations need to be done 24 hrs in advance after this time a cancellation fee is chargeable or if you aren't comfortable doing this you could take a £5/£10 non-refundable deposit ie if they cancel 10 minutes before they lose it! I think if you give out signals that you aren't confident people will take you for a ride. Keep professional, have faith & confidence in yourself! Good luck! (& by the way, clients like the one you mentioned, you can afford to lose, she is probably costing you more in time & product than what you are making from her!)

Very well said Fluffy26!
I am mobile and I always text or call when I'm on my way. If I don't get a response, I go get a cup of tea and if I still don't hear from them, I take my tea home with me. My clients know to keep their phone handy and charged because I'm going to call/text!
With regards to your skill... you are fine to be charging full price and there doesn't need to be any explaining or excusing any imperfections. I've seen techs in my area charge MORE than what I do (in a salon) and I end up fixing lumpy gel or redoing a nail or two because they lifted or came right off. This happens occasionally when I'm doing a Shellac Mani for a lady and daughter comes home ... "should this be lumpy like this?" or "Should this smile line be crooked?" she will ask simply because I am there. I will pull out my photo book of MY work and show her. I will gain a customer.
I am not perfect but I do nice work and I am meticulous. I've never worked in a salon so I'm not fast. That is the only thing that I let them know about up front when I do enhancements (Shellac timing is good). My smile lines are straight, my surface is not lumpy and my Shellac Manicures are awesome! I do a little artwork, use decals, foil transfers, layering colours and some zebra stripes, tartans, leopard spots etc. My cuticles are not flooded with polish and my nail shaping is tidy. What more could I offer? My clients are happy, I give good aftercare advice and I get referrals... I am professional and I make no excuses. If I am a little less than confident at times, I cannot and do not show it and neither should you. Otherwise, like Fluffy26 says, "they will think they are doing you a favor"... This is your job, for money!
You do nice work. No go get em!

Latest posts

Back