Mobile therapist client woes!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mashavings

Reaction score
Hi all,

I qualified as a level three beauty therapist in February and set up as mobile last month. I’ve advertised my business on Facebook, Wahanda and Gumtree. The majority of my clients have come from Gumtree.

I seem to be attracting some ‘complex’ clients. Lots of messing about; texts and questions (do you do this, do you do that, how much is this etc.) My record so far has been a client where we exchanged 24 texts!! Quite frequently there’s lots of faffing and then no booking.

Most clients seem reluctant to talk on the phone and I see this as really important. For my own safety I want to talk to clients to "vet" them and test my gut instinct, I also think it’s so much easier to talk and answer questions this way rather than constant texting.

Do other mobile therapists have the same experience of attracting difficult clients or is it where I’m advertising?

I’m getting really upset and frustrated, as I was so excited at starting my new career and its not turning out to be how I’d hoped. I hadn’t imagined that I’d be spending so much time dealing with difficult and awkward texts and it seems like the majority are time wasters?

Has anyone got any advice on how I can maybe turn this around or am I going to have to grow a pair and get used to this?!!!
x

You state 'no texts or withheld numbers' within your advert. Worked for me and I went on to become a very busy mobile therapist.

That's not to say you won't still receive texts and withheld numbers, you will, but you just ignore them. Good luck.

You state 'no texts or withheld numbers' within your advert. Worked for me and I went on to become a very busy mobile therapist.

That's not to say you won't still receive texts and withheld numbers, you will, but you just ignore them. Good luck.
I'd have never have thought to do that! Thank you! Can I ask where or how you advertised your business? :)

Sorry to be sceptical, we had this in the salon when X2 level 3 therapists were employed by the new owner, seemed very suss to me that local therapist was getting people to ring up fishing for information and prices.

As you're newly mobile, it "could" be the same happening to you.

Tbh it's gumtree down to a T!
You need, if haven't got one already, a website and get it up there in Google. Will surpass any Gumtree traffic.
Also a leaflet drop in your area would be a good idea.

Sorry to be sceptical, we had this in the salon when X2 level 3 therapists were employed by the new owner, seemed very suss to me that local therapist was getting people to ring up fishing for information and prices.

As you're newly mobile, it "could" be the same happening to you.[/QUOTE
Can't believe people do that! Don't think they need to worry about me!! ;)

^^^ you quoted me but didn't say anything...lol

It's on there @KHS think she deleted one of the ] to end the quote x

Ahhh seen it Lauren thank you lol - my bad trying to multi task x

No problem! X

Stay away from Gumtree! Every time I've used gumtree whether it be advertising my business or trying to sell my car I had nothing but time wasters! Website and leaflets drops is a good idea

I'd have never have thought to do that! Thank you! Can I ask where or how you advertised your business? :)

Well stay away from Gumtree for a start, it's full of Pervy men who cannot distinguish between a legit massage/beauty service and the "other" type of massage.

I didn't really advertise that much because most of my clientele were recommendations. I did leaflet drop in the beginning, but covered a large area. When I say leaflet drop I mean thousands, not hundreds! :) My Mum and sister are both managers of Harley St clinics so I was very lucky in that they kindly allowed me to put the odd flyer up on the notice board and would also give my business cards to people if the subject of massage ever came up.

The best bit of advice I can give you, and it kind of goes without saying, is to ensure you give the clients, the ones you do have, a fantastic service as they'll recommend you (they'll do your marketing/advertising job for you!!) After 6 months I wasn't advertising at all, everything was word of mouth and I didn't see male clients at all. Goodluck, it definitely gets easier and stay positive and happy in your work.

I just wanted to add that I was a masseuse only, I did not offer any beauty treatments, so perhaps it's a bit different. I too would be interested in advertising methods re the beauty side of things.

Even though texts are a good way to communicate it's easy for people to ask lots questions on a whim, when they are prob not that interested in your services.
I've seen a definite rise in these types of queries in the last few years ( though for me it's usually by e-mail ). I think people google about when they are bored and ask lame questions, taking no account of the time and effort it takes to answer them.

Tbh it's gumtree down to a T!
You need, if haven't got one already, a website and get it up there in Google. Will surpass any Gumtree traffic.
Also a leaflet drop in your area would be a good idea.
I've downloaded your info on doing a successful leaflet drop, that's my next step :D

Stay away from Gumtree! Every time I've used gumtree whether it be advertising my business or trying to sell my car I had nothing but time wasters! Website and leaflets drops is a good idea
I did wonder, right I'm coming off it!! ;)

Gumtree advert now deactivated! :)

Next step leaflets..... thank you all for your help.

Latest posts

Back