Money and happiness?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJai19-x

Reaction score
Do you believe money can buy happiness?
I personally don't!
Money is quickly spent but easy to earn when you choose.
People in life who are important to you and deeply loved will not be around forever and I believe you have to cherish every moment with loved ones, and enjoy every second because you never know what is around the corner.

What do you all think?

I would definitely like a bit more money. Relieve some money stress and I would be a happier bunny. Not loads but just enough :)

I hate to say it but I do think money brings me happiness. I keep a lot of animals and they make me happy (they cost a lot of money).

I agree it's not everything but it does make me happier :D

Having complete financial freedom would certainly make life easier if that counts as happier but the way I see it I have my lovely husband and amazing son. I could live in a tent with them and be happy but in a mansion without them and be miserable. X

I know rich unhappy people and poor happy people. Happiness depends on your state of mind, not your financial status. I believe you have a happy, peaceful mind you'll be happy rich or poor. 😊

I'd rather sit crying in a Bentley than a fiesta,lol it doesn't buy happiness but I think it helps as you have less worries x

I think money does buy happiness to a certain extent... I may sound shallow but money does really make me happy. With money I can follow my dreams and become and do whatever I want.
Financial stress is the worst thing to deal with and I certainly don't think anyone likes it.
Obviously their are sad rich people and happy poor people, money buys everything expect for love and that comes from family....
Personally I would rather be alone and successful with money because then I wouldn't need a man to support me or spend on me.
You could be rich, poor or in between but everyone is sad sometimes and I believe if poor people are sad about having no money then they should get up and get rich.

For me, I can honestly say, money does not buy happiness!

We were really quite well off at one time, 3 or 4 holidays a year, designer clothes etc. But I hardly saw my kids, they were with a childminders after school, and often neither myself or my husband were home before 7pm.

Since giving up full time work, and starting out mobile, these first 18 months have been a struggle financially.

Our monthly income is half of what it used to be, and we have had to make many changes and cut backs. But, we are much happier as a family.

We have discovered the joys of spending time together, going walks, a day at the beach, family movie & games nights, rather than posh meals out, holidays abroad where kids spend all day at a kids club and hubby at the bar!

My daughters have never been materialistic, and although I save hard to ensure they have nice clothes, and a bloomin good Christmas, they ask for nothing nowadays. They request we play monopoly rather than go to the zoo, or take a picnic lunch over MacDonald's!

It may not be everyone's idea of happiness, but to me & my family, the way we live now is absolute bliss!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think the saying is meant more along the lines of "does a high disposable income buy happiness". In this context I would say defiantly not. Did anyone watch the celebrity autopsy programs that were on channel 5 recently. Morbid I know but I like documentaries. So so sad. Excess money doesn't protect you from the human condition. It also depends on how you spend it. Xxx

Just had to post this quote from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960) (one of my all-time favourite films):

"I'm buying this house for my baby's wedding present. Forty thousand dollars, cash! Now, that's... not buying happiness. That's just... buying off unhappiness."

... seems apt.

I think money does buy happiness to a certain extent... I may sound shallow but money does really make me happy. With money I can follow my dreams and become and do whatever I want.
Financial stress is the worst thing to deal with and I certainly don't think anyone likes it.
Obviously their are sad rich people and happy poor people, money buys everything expect for love and that comes from family....
Personally I would rather be alone and successful with money because then I wouldn't need a man to support me or spend on me.
You could be rich, poor or in between but everyone is sad sometimes and I believe if poor people are sad about having no money then they should get up and get rich.

100% agree with this !

I've been super poor & been comfortable in my life regarding money, at the mo were back on the poor end of the scale (recently opened a new salon) I still have a car tho so we still get out and about, at the moment I feel time poor more than financially poor if u get what I mean, I don't miss shopping for clothes n stuff as much as I thought I would because I'm happy just to spend the day at home or walking with the dog or playing with the kids! Things that don't even cost money but fulfill me so much! It's like I've found a balance of appreciating the free things in life over the having new things, I still believe that a comfortable income will be fantastic because I could choose to take my kids on a nice holiday or buy them a trendy outfit or shoes which I can't do at the mo, I feel like my choices are limited sometimes when I don't have money which does upset me a bit, especially when I see friends driving Mercedes, wareing lush clothes and going on hols 4 times a year

I had this tattoo done last year, it says " it's not money that makes you happy it's the freedom of choices it allows you to make " I just felt at the time like id never be able to do anything that cost more than £50 ever again lol! Business is starting to pick up now tho so hopefully I'll be able to have a holiday for the children rather than thinking I can't coz I'm skint, that was the whole point of starting the salon tbh so we could have a comfortable future financially ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1409687990.619013.jpg

Yes and no, you can't buy love and friends and family, buuuut on the other hand, if I was sad, I'd rather be sad with nice clothes and a nice house and car, than sad in rags, with a tiny flat and a bus pass instead of car aha xxx

Money only buys you financial security and material objects, though this brings happiness to many. It does not essentially bring you a 'true' happiness.

On the other side though, not everyone's friends or families bring them happiness.

Our circumstances in life are what guide us to pursue our own version of a 'true' happiness. Be that money, material objects or family and friends.

As they say do what makes YOU happy, whatever that may be.

Do you believe money can buy happiness?
I personally don't!
Money is quickly spent but easy to earn when you choose.
People in life who are important to you and deeply loved will not be around forever and I believe you have to cherish every moment with loved ones, and enjoy every second because you never know what is around the corner.

What do you all think?

Some of the most bitter and unhappy people I have known have been wealthy. Some of the happiest times I've had was when I was really poor.

I believe that happiness is dependent on how much you give, rather than take. Cheesy as it sounds, my happiest moments are when I can make others happy. if that makes sense.

I can say through experience it doesn't make you any happier but it does relieve any stress of paying the bills etc.
Also every persons definition of skint isn't another's, we've been at both ends of the scale one having more money than knowing what to do with it & loosing our house, businesses and almost divorcing! Currently we both have our businesses which are hard work - I'm only just starting to see the rewards 15 months later, my husband works his backside off 14 hr days but earns his money. We are closer than ever and we are no longer "materialistic" - I do really give two ticks if I'm driving a new car or a car 10 yrs old, have a designer bag & clothes or the latest gadgets - I'd rather spend time with my husband & kids doing things. X

I know people who are very wealthy and not happy people at all! My friend has been all over the world and had anything she's wanted and got sectioned 2years ago with very bad depression. She hates her mum and dad as they didn't spend time with her at all when she was growing up. She was sent to a boarding school and when It was school holidays her mum and dad were working all the time so she had somebody to look after her. She's had all the luxury off mummy and daddy but she's never had that family time and parent bonding as they put WORK first.
Money hasn't made her happy she just wanted a happy and loving family that was there for her and not being a show off in a social event.

Latest posts

Back