Mothers playground problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi326

Reaction score
I have found really hard in the playground lately it like I am back at school and everyone is judging u or talking behind ur back.
I am the biggest softy going and try and be friendly and kind (I am not perfect) but I don't judge others everyone has there issues it just why can't people get along.
U say one thing to these mums and they take it in just the wrong way or thinking or assuming the worst of u. When if people knew me would know I am just trying to be chatty and friendly and harmless but it's getting me down.
What would u do

I discovered that the playground is a much bitchier place as an adult when my son went to school ten years ago. Now my girls have just started and it's even blooming worse! Just rise above it and feel sorry for the bitches - they must have incredibly low self esteem to have to get their kicks from picking at others.
There WILL be some nice mummies there who are on the same page as you x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

My childrens school playground is bad too. Everyone talks about everyone, the person that gets told gets spoken about that person then talks about the person that told them! It's unbelievable how some of these parents behave, and not exactly behaving like role models. All I hear in the playground, is constant sniping and what parent has slept with who. I make sure I stay well out if it. I say hello to who I need to, and that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I love talking to and meeting new people, but I'm not into negativity and idle gossip. If constructive conversation is going on, I'm happy to participate. There was one occasion when my other half was waiting to pick up our son from nursery, one of the mums actually had the cheek to ask him, 'have you ever cheated on your wife'? She then said, 'I cheat on my husband all the time'. Talk about a subtle hint !

Last edited:
Uhh I know what you mean! Now I plan to go to the park with a mate

I have found really hard in the playground lately it like I am back at school and everyone is judging u or talking behind ur back.
I am the biggest softy going and try and be friendly and kind (I am not perfect) but I don't judge others everyone has there issues it just why can't people get along.
U say one thing to these mums and they take it in just the wrong way or thinking or assuming the worst of u. When if people knew me would know I am just trying to be chatty and friendly and harmless but it's getting me down.
What would u do

Hi. I'm assuming its the school playground you're referring to at pick up rather than the local park?

What you will find is that the worst culprits are the ones who don't work and have nothing better to do all day than bitch about others. As the saying goes "idle hands are the devils work". (This is my favourite and most used saying. Lol!).

Personally, I have given up on them. I use to try and be friendly to a few but then had it thrown back in my face by them (3 of them!) doing a one day manicure course and trying to steal my clients. They had nothing better to do, I use to do their nails and they must have thought it looked easy so decided to have a go and set up themselves.

Over the last 8 years in the playground I've had it all. Believe me. I now stay away. I go in 10 seconds before my daughter is due to come out and off we go. No chit chat, no nothing to no one.

Sorry I've not been able to offer advice. The only advice I have is "stay away" as they're more trouble than they're worth. Most of them are poison.

The stupid thing is everyone feels a bit self conscious in the school playground, so why certain women feel the need to behave in such ways is beyond me.

I made the decision not to get (too) involved with anyone in the playground. I have one mum im good friends (as are our husbands) and we get on really well but we rarely see each other in the playground but meet up for coffee and have the odd family evenings together and there's one or two mums I say hello to but that's as far as it goes. I don't want to get too deep in to it all. I'm there to drop my little boy off, he chooses who to play with and that's as should be. I have friends because they're my friends, not by default. I couldn't cope with all the gossiping otherwise.

Don't worry lovey, keep your head high and keep away from these silly women- clearly they have little else going on in their lives if they're so bothered about what you say and do honey.

Hugs xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's such a shame. I made some really close friends with mums round the school when my kids were young. They were amazing when I was poorly (which is a lot!) and always offered to take the kids to school for me. We all helped each other and I still see lots of them now. It's sweet how we've all watched each others kids grow up. Maybe I was just lucky but we never had any bitchy types. I would say keep trying with them, what about your kids friends' mums? Maybe if they come to pick their child up from yours if you've had one back for tea try and get chatting to the mum that way? X

At my kids school the mums are actually warned in the school news letter not to be unwelcoming and this happens regularly! I wonder how the kids are expected to be kind when te parents can't even manage it. They have also been told not to mention the school name on any social media as they are giving the school a bad reputation! Also the school lollypop last who is about 60 is always complaining about getting abuse from the parents. Unbelievable! I wonder why I chose the school sometimes.

I dreaded this when my son started school last year but I've been lucky and now have an amazing group of friends.
I've been ill this week and together they've dropped off and picked my son up from school, had him over for tea and cooked me meals :)
My advice would be to just ignore them they've got nothing better to do then gossip about each other x

I pick up my two grandchildren once a week. The beautiful village where they live is a 30-45 minute drive from mine, so I didn't know anyone when I started.

There are some lovely mums,one smashing one who came to my Big Birthday, and a few dads, but some are quite stand-offish.
I never muscle in to conversations, but I do chip in if they're talking about something I can contribute to. Sometimes I get ignored, and have even had backs turned on me, but I love a challenge and carry on!
I wouldn't be able to contribute to local gossip, so I just listen to those :D

If I were you, I'd just carry on being your normal cheery, chatty self. Choose chat about fairly neutral topics.

(I have wondered, at times, whether I have become one of those invisible older ladies.......then I convince myself NO!)

I pick up my two grandchildren once a week. The beautiful village where they live is a 30-45 minute drive from mine, so I didn't know anyone when I started.

There are some lovely mums,one smashing one who came to my Big Birthday, and a few dads, but some are quite stand-offish.
I never muscle in to conversations, but I do chip in if they're talking about something I can contribute to. Sometimes I get ignored, and have even had backs turned on me, but I love a challenge and carry on!

If I were you, I'd just carry on being your normal cheery, chatty self. Choose chat about fairly neutral topics.

(I have wondered, at times, whether I have become one of those invisible older ladies.......then I convince myself NO!)

Of course you haven't dandelion poppy! It's just pure bad manners on their part! I would never treat anyone like that!

I find some of their manners unbelievable. I have found myself chatting to someone and then another mum comes along, interrupts, no apology, turns her back to me and starts talking to the one I was originally talking to! I feel like saying "EXCUSE ME!!"

The turning your back on you thing really winds me up.

I really don't like any of the mums in the playground apart from maybe 1 or 2.

I find some of their manners unbelievable. I have found myself chatting to someone and then another mum comes along, interrupts, no apology, turns her back to me and starts talking to the one I was originally talking to! I feel like saying "EXCUSE ME!!"

The turning your back on you thing really winds me up.

I really don't like any of the mums in the playground apart from maybe 1 or 2.

That's awful MM! If someone did that to me, I would visualise myself grabbing them by the hair! Ahem, need to get control of myself! :D

This is another reason why I'm glad I don't have children!!

I love my little boy's village school and will be sad to leave when we move house. Just hope the next school is as nice.

The mums are really friendly and there are lots of dads and grandparents at pick-up time too.

Latest posts

Back