Moved house - TV not working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missljw

Reaction score
So, moved into a new house on Saturday and just cannot get a signal on the tv. I'm hoping someone can help me!
The aerial cable is plugged in at the wall and the tv but when searching for channels nothing is found? I've checked and our signal should be good. The tv and cable were both used previously and worked fine. The only thing I can think it the aerial isn't actually connected? (I have no idea how you would disconnect/connect an aerial though). There is a satellite dish outside and the wires from that coming into the living room, so I'm assuming the last person used that and hence why the aerial could have been disconnected? :/ I've also tried the aerial point in the bedroom which doesn't work either.
If anyone could help it would be great because I feel lost without my tv at the moment!! :)

This might sound like I'm being rude but have you put it onto digital and retuned it? x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

This might sound like I'm being rude but have you put it onto digital and retuned it? x

Yeah it's on DTV and have retuned and nothing :(

Yeah it's on DTV and have retuned and nothing :(
Is the ariel plugged into your tv? I don't know if it even has to be haha x

Normal aerials will not work anymore as the analouge signal has been turned off. You need to be tuning in to a digital signal. This will mean you need to use a digital aerial or satalite dish or connect to cable to get a signal.

Normal aerials will not work anymore as the analouge signal has been turned off. You need to be tuning in to a digital signal. This will mean you need to use a digital aerial or satalite dish or connect to cable to get a signal.

I'm sure aerials on the roof just connect to digital now though? I know for sure I didn't have to get a different aerial when we changed over. I presume with the satellite dish being there though that the previous person had sky.

If the aerial had been disconnected do you/anybody know how you would find out?

The only way the aerial on the roof will work is IF it is a digital one. The one on my roof isn't a digital one and so I would get no signal at all if I plugged it in to my tv. I use Sky so my tv signal is through the sky dish.

If your using the aerial on the roof and getting no signal then it would appear to be an old analouge aerial. You will either need to buy & install a digital aerial or get someone to connect the satalite dish up for you.

I have a Ariel in the loft & it has not been changed since the digital switch over & it works perfectly fine. We have virgin in the lounge but the normal Ariel is used in my daughters room.

I've had a look on the internet and it says 90% of people won't have had to change the aerial - and since it's a fairly new house a doubt that it would need changing. Especially as no-one else around here has changed theirs.

I think it is that that aerial has been disconnected as I've tried to have a look and can't see the wire connecting to the aerial. Looks like it's a job for dad to come and sort out! Haha

Thanks for the help though :)

My next door neighbour kept getting such a poor signal that he disconnected his aerial and just ran his tv off sky instead. Perhaps this is what happened.

I have a fairly new house and my aerial has a power booster thing plugged in, in the bedroom. I don't know the official term but if that's switched off the aerial won't work.

Maybe the people unplugged it and took it when they left not realising what it was? :)

I have a fairly new house and my aerial has a power booster thing plugged in, in the bedroom. I don't know the official term but if that's switched off the aerial won't work.

Maybe the people unplugged it and took it when they left not realising what it was? :)

Hmm that's a thought. We are getting a new aerial cable tomorrow to make sure it's not been damaged. But will try getting a booster as well. Hopefully will find out what is wrong!

My next door neighbour kept getting such a poor signal that he disconnected his aerial and just ran his tv off sky instead. Perhaps this is what happened.

Do you know how you would find out if it's been disconnected? Can you see it on the aerial on the roof?

Bought a new cable and it's working! Must have damaged the cable somehow whilst moving. But Atleast now I can catch up on my programs haha

Latest posts

Back