MRSA - easy to control

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marketing-geek

Reaction score
According to a report in the Daily Telegraph today, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust have undertaken a raft of new measures to help prevent the occurence of MRSA, including:

"Members of the public will be asked to use alcohol hand gel before and after visiting.

The trust said yesterday that the moves were designed to go back to an era when hospitals were run in a stricter fashion.

It is hoped that the measures will further reduce MRSA infections which went down at the trust by 41 per cent between April and June this year, compared to the same period in 2005."

This just goes to show that MRSA is brought into hospitals, and that it doesn't originate in hospitals. If MRSA can be brought into a hospital, it can be taken anywhere else too.

Notice though, the reduction of cases by taking good infection control measures - including the use of alcohol hand rubs (or sanitizing hand rub/gel/spray).

Simple, inexpensive measures can make a huge difference - EVERYWHERE!

marketing-geek said:
According to a report in the Daily Telegraph today, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust have undertaken a raft of new measures to help prevent the occurence of MRSA, including:

"Members of the public will be asked to use alcohol hand gel before and after visiting.

The trust said yesterday that the moves were designed to go back to an era when hospitals were run in a stricter fashion.

It is hoped that the measures will further reduce MRSA infections which went down at the trust by 41 per cent between April and June this year, compared to the same period in 2005."

This just goes to show that MRSA is brought into hospitals, and that it doesn't originate in hospitals. If MRSA can be brought into a hospital, it can be taken anywhere else too.

Notice though, the reduction of cases by taking good infection control measures - including the use of alcohol hand rubs (or sanitizing hand rub/gel/spray).

Simple, inexpensive measures can make a huge difference - EVERYWHERE!

on the labour ward in the hospital i had myy daughter in... there were alcohol solution sanitizers everywhere but what annoyed me was when we were taken on a tour of the labour ward (15/16 people) we weren't told to use it as i would have expected.

and recently, in a different hospital, the place was filthy.

they need to 'clean up their act' so to speak because the young and elderly are dying trying to fight these nasty infections in environments that they can't control - we can clean our homes but are limited as to what we can clean in the immediate area around us in hospital.

I have also heard that some hospitals are now using Tea Tree Oil in a bid to control and hopefully eradicate MRSA

A recent survey I had access to revealed that most people don't use these alcohol rubs. As a result, diseases that could be controlled are being spread RAPIDLY.

I heard that there are 500 amputation EVERY DAY in this country as a result of MRSA.

If you're going into hospital, my advice would be to take your own infection control products with you - especially in a maternity ward!

nailsbydesign said:
I have also heard that some hospitals are now using Tea Tree Oil in a bid to control and hopefully eradicate MRSA

MRSA can be helped if all staff follow the correct hygiene procedures and don't cross contaminate when they get lazy - like so many of them. i just don't get it either, why do they leave themselves and their families wide open to the germs?

CadenceAlex said:
MRSA can be helped if all staff follow the correct hygiene procedures and don't cross contaminate when they get lazy - like so many of them. i just don't get it either, why do they leave themselves and their families wide open to the germs?

It's down to time and money and priorities. Crazy - but there you have it. At least we can do something about it to protect ourselves.

I've seen these dispensers on doors in Hospitals but nobody uses them. Nobody seems bothered. And nobody seems to be in charge. Personal Gripe!

If you go into some food factories they have a turnstile which will not open unless you put your hands into a machine which sprays disinfectant.

V. Good idea.

Well my local NHS trust in Portsmouth has such a bad reputation, people are too scared to be ill!!! It is filthy. You'd go in healthy and come out in a wooden box!!!! It's about time that something was done ... bring back the matrons I say!!!! (gets off soapbox!)

Our local hospital has been asking you to use the gel before and after entering the ward for over two years, and every bed also has a dispenser. Don't know what effect it has had on MRSA though, but it should help.

Joan

pennijar said:
Our local hospital has been asking you to use the gel before and after entering the ward for over two years, and every bed also has a dispenser. Don't know what effect it has had on MRSA though, but it should help.

Joan

This is what all hospitals should be doing. Unfortunately, most people don't use them.

Sassy Hassy said:
Well my local NHS trust in Portsmouth has such a bad reputation, people are too scared to be ill!!! It is filthy. You'd go in healthy and come out in a wooden box!!!! It's about time that something was done ... bring back the matrons I say!!!! (gets off soapbox!)

i agree with bringing back the matrons! and getting some standards back into nhs hospitals - too many chiefs and pen pushers and not enough indians cleaning the floors!

my grandma went into a PRIVATE HOSPITAL for a routine operation on her knee!

She contracted MRSA and less than 6 months later she had died from it!

Disgusting - there should be more people in hospitals making sure that sanitising gel is used!

Fingertips ND said:
my grandma went into a PRIVATE HOSPITAL for a routine operation on her knee!

She contracted MRSA and less than 6 months later she had died from it!

Disgusting - there should be more people in hospitals making sure that sanitising gel is used!
I too went into a private hospital last week for an op on my knee and they swabbed me a week prior to admission for MRSA to make sure that I was not carrying it as there is a great % of the public carry it in their noses. :eek: They said that if it had come back positive I would have had my op postponed and treated with strong antibiotics until they got a clear...only then would they have done the op. Most private hospitals have not got MRSA and are proud of this fact.... actually this is the first time I have heard of this.

nailsbydesign said:
I too went into a private hospital last week for an op on my knee and they swabbed me a week prior to admission for MRSA to make sure that I was not carrying it as there is a great % of the public carry it in their noses. :eek: They said that if it had come back positive I would have had my op postponed and treated with strong antibiotics until they got a clear...only then would they have done the op. Most private hospitals have not got MRSA and are proud of this fact.... actually this is the first time I have heard of this.

well she got it and it was on the post mortem that she had it when she died!

it didn't come from the nursing home!

When I was having one of my internal scans prior to my IVF and because it was quite invasive they presribed me some antibiotics as a precautionery measure to stop any infection from occuring with all the mrsa publicity etc.

Anyway - i had an adverse reaction to the tablets and became allergic for a short while to UV light - so as well as blowing up like a baloon and itching like mad i couldnt go out because my skin came out in blisters!

You cant win - either the MRSA would get to you or the preventative measures will!!

(p.s. - it was a private hospital -not sure if i would have been prescribed these if it was NHS).

Fingertips ND said:
well she got it and it was on the post mortem that she had it when she died!

it didn't come from the nursing home!
Not trying to be awkward here but how can you be sure of that?? Did she have it diagnosed before she went to the nursing home?? My mother-in-law got MRSA after a hip op in an NHS hospital and they knew the day after her op that she had it, as they automatically swab all wounds for it where she was, just in case, (she must have picked it up in the operating theatre as she had been in another ward prior to this and that ward was MRSA free), they issolated her form the rest of the ward until they got rid of it.

Hi Nigel,hope you are well,thankyou for bringiNg this to our attention,we need to take responsibility for ourselves,and protect ourselves from contracting this fatal illness,by protecting ourselves,we are protecting others !

Vic,sorry for your loss babe xxxxx

nailsbydesign said:
Not trying to be awkward here but how can you be sure of that?? Did she have it diagnosed before she went to the nursing home?? My mother-in-law got MRSA after a hip op in an NHS hospital and they knew the day after her op that she had it, as they automatically swab all wounds for it where she was, just in case, (she must have picked it up in the operating theatre as she had been in another ward prior to this and that ward was MRSA free), they issolated her form the rest of the ward until they got rid of it.

she was tested whilst in the hospital for it before she left for that exact reason she didn't pass it on to anyone at the nursing home!

Fingertips ND said:
she was tested whilst in the hospital for it before she left for that exact reason she didn't pass it on to anyone at the nursing home!

Did they test her before she went in too, as I was???

nailsbydesign said:

many people carry the virus without being affected by it and without passing it on to others - it just lives in some people, as do other viruses.

and as for private hospitals being proud of their lack of MRSA, it doesn't help the poor sods or their families, dying in NHS hospitals everywhere else - but in the same vein, i can't see BUPA sending a report to the Daily Mail about how their hospitals have had an outbreak - I find it hard to believe that private hospitals don't have MRSA problems. BUT I do believe that we wouldn't hear about it if they did.

Latest posts

Back