My employee secretly works for a blow-dry at home app

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDec

Reaction score
I have recently discovered that one of my employees works for someone else ie the company that does blow dry services at clients homes. The person in question is employed by me on full time basis for over 2 years. I discovered it by chance through a client. I haven't said anything yet.
What are your thoughts? Is this something that I should be worried about or should I just leave it? It doesn't coincide with salon hours. I think they do it over the weekend and days off. My only worry is that I wasn't told and it looks like it is done behind my back.

As long as the employee is doing it in her own time I don't think you should get overly concerned. Yes, it would have been nice to tell you but really that's her private time.
I'm guessing he/she is doing it for some extra money so perhaps this should prompt a discussion on a possible pay rise to retain them working at your salon?

As long as the employee is doing it in her own time I don't think you should get overly concerned. Yes, it would have been nice to tell you but really that's her private time.
I'm guessing he/she is doing it for some extra money so perhaps this should prompt a discussion on a possible pay rise to retain them working at your salon?

Thank you for your response.
It probably is for extra money and it is in their private time. It's just a shame that it looks deceitful because I probably would have been fine about it.

What does it say in their contract? I'm sure in most contracts it will state they cannot work for a company that conflicts with yours.

If you say you are fine with it then there is no issue but if you don't like it you could ask her to stop... However this may cause more problems than it solves!

Try and keep her more motivated at work and she will be too tired to do these things at home x

A lot of hairdressers are employed on minimum wage so I wouldn’t blame them working additional hours to make ends meet. However, it also suggests that they’re experimenting with self employment so I wouldn’t be surprised if they subsequently decide to set up on their own.
It’s definitely worth raising it with her but not in a confrontational way.

Depends which area she works and if this is in direct competition with your salon.
If they her clients coming for colour at your salon but week ends they want a blow wave and don’t want to come into town for example then I myself would hire a blowwave for sure . It’s convenient!
Instead of seeing this as a threat see it as an opportunity, maybe if clients are wanting this service you can maybe try to set up a home visit blow wave service for set amount for clients who come to your salon.

That’s what I would do
Life is how you look at it.

A lot of hair stylist in my area offer private blow dry service to clients for evening functions as most salons on sundays close at 12 or 2pm but their functions only start at 7pm so it suits them to hire someone to come home and do their hair and make up .
Not exactly loosing salon income and stylist is happy for extra money .

It depends whether it affects you, if it isn't affecting you then I would leave her to it. As said above, most hairdressers are employed on minimum wage and she's probably doing it for more cash which I don't blame her for at all. I would bring it up in a non confrontational way and say what you feel whether that be that she can carry on as long as it doesn't interfere with your business or whether you want her to stop in the best interests for your business which ever is applicable

I agree with the above - I'd actually bring it up really nicely, say "Oh, mrs so-and-so said she saw you on XYZ app - that sounds like a great little money spinner! How's it going?" over a coffee and just throw into the conversation that shes a really valued member of the team and you hope that she's happy in her job and not thinking of leaving? If you're kind and friendly, she'll likely be honest and tell you her intentions.

From there you can always say after a while, I'm concerned about this, or maybe set up a commission scheme so she'd make more working those extra hours/doing those extra clients with you. If she has regulars with this app, she could offer to do them at your salon for less and make a little more money - and those clients could be upsold with products, colours and cuts. Instantly you're benefitting. Or you could help her into her way to being self employed with your salon, meaning she won't use the app but maybe will work a bit harder for her cash and take a little more and earn you some more too.

Or how about saying, I've been thinking about doing a blow dry from home sideline for the salon, would you be willing to help me set it up and we could finish at 3pm on Fridays and Saturdays and do mobile blow dries for a bit extra? How would you feel about doing this instead for a little more money?

I agree with the above - I'd actually bring it up really nicely, say "Oh, mrs so-and-so said she saw you on XYZ app - that sounds like a great little money spinner! How's it going?" over a coffee and just throw into the conversation that shes a really valued member of the team and you hope that she's happy in her job and not thinking of leaving? If you're kind and friendly, she'll likely be honest and tell you her intentions.

From there you can always say after a while, I'm concerned about this, or maybe set up a commission scheme so she'd make more working those extra hours/doing those extra clients with you. If she has regulars with this app, she could offer to do them at your salon for less and make a little more money - and those clients could be upsold with products, colours and cuts. Instantly you're benefitting. Or you could help her into her way to being self employed with your salon, meaning she won't use the app but maybe will work a bit harder for her cash and take a little more and earn you some more too.

Or how about saying, I've been thinking about doing a blow dry from home sideline for the salon, would you be willing to help me set it up and we could finish at 3pm on Fridays and Saturdays and do mobile blow dries for a bit extra? How would you feel about doing this instead for a little more money?

Such a positive approach! Well done. So easy to get hot under the collar about these things, but if you can turn it into a positive for your staff and for your business, then why not!

She probably feels terrible about keeping it from you so I’d bring it up nicely and say you’d rather they didn’t keep secrets and if it’s not direct competition you’d not mind. X

Unfortunately as hairdressers were paid a fairly low wage
Therefor your employee is having to work an “extra” job to get ahead financially.
Unless they are “poaching” your clients or talking about the other business in your salon, then there shouldnt be an issue

Latest posts

Back