My first 'bride'!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there!

Ive had my first booking for a bride who is getting married in 5 weeks time! She asked me to manicure her nails once a week for the next 5 weeks to get her nails in tip-top condition - i have advised her against this and suggested that she possibly has a total of 3 manicures - one (which is tonight) which is obviously when i can give her a full consultation and work out a treatment plan for her, another in 2 weeks time - but perhaps a luxury manicure (eg, with paraffin wax or warm oil) and then one maybe the day before her wedding. The reason i advised against a manicure every week is because in my opinion this could actually do more harm than good by over-using products etc.

Ive only spoke to her in the school playground and she quickly showed me her nails and they actually look in really good condition, she wants to stay as natural as poss and at the moment doesnt plan to wear polish on the big day. She is worrying about breaking a nail before the big day as like she said she wants to stay natural and definatly doesnt want extensions (which im not qualified to do anyway).

I just wondered if any of you could give me any extra special tips that i can pass onto her apart from the usual home care advise.
Also, with regards to breaking a nail - what would you do in this situation? That was one thing i never covered on my course, but i have normally dealt with it by gently filing the break and re-shaping the nail in order to prevent the break from tearing further. I have heard and seen products such as nail 'bandages' but have no idea how these work or look when applied - is there any other way of dealing with this potential problem?

Also, another little question i have is with regards to nail strenghtners - how often should you use them for and for what period of time as I know that over use of these products can cause the nails to become brittle...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated....

Many thanks

emily​

*bump* :rolleyes: anyone please??

Give it time hun, alot of people are at work through the day :green:

What sort of products are you using?
All products for manicures should be good enough to be using everyday. I.e your nail oil, hand cream?
I would say that a manicure once a week would be more good than harm! You would be treating the cuticles, keeping them soft, filing the nails for her, so that you can get any nicks before they turn into a rip and she breaks her nail. You dont have to put polish on each week, but a good manicure each week would definatly get the nails in really good shape, you could even try to sell her a nail oil?It might help her nails to have a growth spurt too, so it doesnt matter too much if she breaks a nail a few weeks before!

Hope this helps :lol:

I have many clients that have a weekly manicure and are over the moon with the change in condition of their nails and skin. If you are using top quality products, then I can't see how weekly manicures could do more harm than good :)

hiya,

Thanks for your replies, i use opi and salon system products. My tutor at college used to say that manicures could be performed every 2 weeks for people who really needed it but 4 weekly for those whose nails are in better condition. She pointed out that hand soaks, scrubs etc could weaken the nails if over-used and so this is why i came to the conclusion that this lady should have the manicures 2 weeks apart..

:eek:

Hi

It's your business but why not offer a polish change between manicures so you can at least keep an eye on her nails? I offer regular clients a polish change between manicures if they chip the enamel or want to change colour.

As a bride (this Sept!) I'd honestly say that if she has five weeks to go file them a bit shorter than what she wants them on the day. It reduces the risk of one breaking and allows time for them to grow too. My nails take 2 weeks to grow after breaking one. Recommend oil to keep cuticles in condition and to help with growth

As for stopping one nail breaking.....wraps may be an option as a natural nail overlay if you can persaude her.

Hope it helps.

Orin

I think your tutor has just diddled you and your client out of two manicures. You advise to apply cuticle oil and hand cream everyday, so why not a manicure once a week. I know it's what you've been taught, but think about it all logically. You will soon learn that some of what you have been taught may be very out of date, or just plain idiotic, it happens a lot and it;s not yur fault. Some of these tutors need to get back in the salon and live in the real world. There is debate whether soaks are need at all, I never leave my clients hand in for more than a minute as it softens the nails too much.

As for nail strengtheners you are right, they can often make nails go brittle. Most come with instructions on best use and it should be followed to the letter. They normally start with an intense use of maybe applying once a day until the nails are improved, and then you switch to once a week, or stop using altogether. One important thing to remember is not to get the product on the skin, otherwise it treats the skin and makes it hard too! If the nails are already dry and brittle then all they need to do is apply cuticle oil and rub it into the nail too to replace the lost oils.

Give good aftercare to your client too - use gloves when washing up etc, daily application of cuticle oil, exfoliate hands before applying hand cream. They may not do all this, but if you don't advise them then they definitely won't do it!

I have many older clients (70 years plus) all of whom have a weekly manicure - they love the attention and the chat! they have on most weeks a reshape/repair and polish and I usually massage in solarsilk, monthly they have either a Spa manicure or SolarCare manicure.

The great thing is that every week they have their nails checked over and cared for - for your bride - this may be perfect as weddings can be stressful and extra time she spends on herself and time chatting to you may prove to be very beneficial to her, her nails and to you!

weekly manicures would be great for her

give her aftercare advice and recommend a nail oil and hand cream

i would recommend nail wraps or a strengthner for breakages

remember with time you will see that some of what you were taught is great advice but not all of it

Latest posts

Back