My own problem nails-quick fix needed for holiday

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlc

Reaction score
Ok so i have been doing gelish nails but sadly my own nails are so weak with the changing weather and all the treatments i do, so i am in need of something thicker and stronger for my own nails during the colder seasons.

I really dont want to put acrylics on them and make them even weaker! but i am so fed up to the back teeth of them constantly splitting.

I soak off properly and put them on correctly each time. I just think i have poop nails tbh.

I am going away so do not have time for someone else to fix them hence coming on here for some advice for my self to sort them out.

I have a structure gel and also acrylic powder but will that not be similar to acrylics and so may as well just do proper acrylics?

Shall i just go and (i cannot believe i am saying this but) buy some false nails to put over them just so they look nice for my trip? then put gel over th top in design i want so they look nicer.

Or shall i just have short nails and put gelish over them? only i dont like this idea as i kinda wanted them longer so i could do a nice design.

I have currently got soak off structure gel on the ones with bad splits then dipped into acrylic powder and then gelished over the top. the others are just normal matching polish but are pretty much same size.

any advice would be great. because i do not like having poop nails especially when my own nails are selling point of my business.

also just to add further that i have tried vitamins and i eat really healthily, tho i do think it is most likely a health issue making them so weak in first place nothing i have tried works. well nothing thats gonna get them looking great by thursday!

much thanks

Last edited:
You complimented my nails in another post...
I put a gel overlay on in June, my nails are all mine but long and strong. I was hesitant to do it at first but I'm glad I did. I do my nails with Shellac every 2 weeks and now I don't need any acetone based removers. I use an efile, manual file then buff instead and it's so easy. I remove my polish, thin the gel and infill. If I decide to not continue with the overlay, I will just thin the gel and let it grow out.
I had some delaminating and used IBX, a couple of nails broke so I repaired with fiberglass and gel, the nails on my ring finger would get a weird c curve when they got long and my middle grows weird. I pretty much had 2 gel nails anyways so I went for it! No more weird shaped nails and I can cosmetically correct the shape easily. Keep in mind, when they are long, they are just like enhancements and will do some serious damage if you catch one in something.
I'd like to see a picture of your nails and I will try to find a "before" of mine for you.

I should add that my nails really get noticed now and I agree with you that your own nails sell what you do. Why not use what you have, your products and your talents to showcase your business? I hand out business cards at the grocery store often and just today (ironically) I had an audience at the checkout at my local beauty supply when someone commented on my nails and asked questions. Everyone wanted one of my cards... only 4 hair stylists but still I was very flattered and proud of my work.

Last edited:
I've had great success making my own and clients nails much stronger with IBX. Its not an instant fix but can work really quickly to help with the bendy, flaky nails. I've even got those annoying vertical splits to heel up with it!

There's loads of info on here about it but if you need something within a couple of days I'd suggest you look for an alternative.

Karaxxx

I had really weak brittle nails that use to break frequently. I started using Gel II and have had great luck not only with my nails growing longer but I can actually notice a thicker natural nail! When I asked my nail tech she said others have had the same results. The polish is infused with micronized calcium which helps strengthen the nail. Its worth a try!

Latest posts

Back