Nail Allergy-Need Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon19Tux

Reaction score
I just tested for a nail allergy and I’m so sad. Did the patch testing at my doctors office. I STILL would love to be able to do something to my nails but I don’t understand exactly what I’m allergic to and what would be my options? I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the chemicals I’m allergic to and what nail options I could possibly have?? I’d appreciate advice🙏🏻 these are the chemicals I reacted to:

1. N-Butyl Methacrylate (dental/nails)
  2. Hydroxyethylmethacrylate (adhesive lacquers, dental, nails)
  3. Hydroxypropylmethacrylate
  4. Ethyleneglycol dimethacrylate

@BobSweden can you help please?

BTW @Shannon19Tux unfortunately Bob hasn't been on for about a month so I'm not sure he will see this post.

For other readers "Hydroxyethyl methacrylate" is HEMA. On MSDS/SDS this chemicals INCI name is HEMA and if the document uses the name Hydroxyethyl methacrylate it is inaccurate and/or deliberately misleading. I have seen a few MSDS/SDS do this recently.

INCI is a library of standardised chemical names that must be used on SDS and product labels to avoid confusion - as chemicals often have different names in different industries / regions of the World.

Unfortunately, and for no good reason, dermatologists do not use INCI names in their patch test report. So someone can react to "2-Hydroxyethyl methacrylate" or "Hydroxyethyl methacrylate" - and not realised both are different names for HEMA on the product label.

Definitely worth asking in the Nail Tech Awareness FB group also x

I just tested for a nail allergy and I’m so sad. Did the patch testing at my doctors office. I STILL would love to be able to do something to my nails but I don’t understand exactly what I’m allergic to and what would be my options? I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the chemicals I’m allergic to and what nail options I could possibly have?? I’d appreciate advice🙏🏻 these are the chemicals I reacted to:

1. N-Butyl Methacrylate (dental/nails)
  2. Hydroxyethylmethacrylate (adhesive lacquers, dental, nails)
  3. Hydroxypropylmethacrylate
  4. Ethyleneglycol dimethacrylate
I'm sorry to hear about your nail allergy diagnosis. Allergies to nail products can be challenging, especially if you enjoy having manicures or using nail enhancements. The chemicals you've listed are common allergens found in various nail products, particularly in acrylic nails and some gel nails. Here's a brief overview of each and potential alternatives:

1. **N-Butyl Methacrylate**: Commonly found in acrylic nails and some gel nail formulations.
2. **Hydroxyethylmethacrylate (HEMA)**: Widely used in adhesive lacquers, dental materials, and both gel and acrylic nails.
3. **Hydroxypropylmethacrylate**: Similar to HEMA, it's used in various nail products.
4. **Ethyleneglycol dimethacrylate**: Also found in acrylic nail products and some gels.

Given these sensitivities, here are some suggestions for alternatives:

- **Water-Based Nail Polishes**: These are free from most harsh chemicals and are less likely to cause allergic reactions.
- **5-Free, 7-Free, or 9-Free Nail Polishes**: These terms refer to nail polishes free from certain numbers of toxic ingredients (like formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, etc.). While they might not specifically exclude the chemicals you're allergic to, they are generally healthier options.
- **Polygel Nails**: Polygel is a newer type of nail enhancement that might be less likely to contain the allergens you're sensitive to. However, you should check the ingredients list to be sure.
- **Dip Powder Nails**: These could be an option, but you should verify the ingredients as some may contain methacrylates.
- **Natural Nail Care**: Focusing on the health and appearance of your natural nails can be a safe and rewarding alternative. This includes regular manicures, using nourishing nail oils, and keeping nails neatly trimmed and shaped.

It's important to always read the ingredients of any nail product you consider using and to consult with a dermatologist or allergist if you're unsure. They can provide more personalized advice based on your specific allergies. Also, consider doing a patch test with new products before applying them to your nails.

Latest posts

Back