Nail art help for a beginner!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking online at nail art for a very long time, and some of the designs i see are incredible. I have been looking online at pintrest today, and i came across several designs that i would love to try out, especially a tiffany and co design! <3

I am new to nail art, i have only ever practiced on my nail tips at home, but i find it difficult, even to paint on the simplest of things e.g lines, flicks, etc..:(

I am looking for advice, basically what nail art brush should i be using, and any tips of how i can improve my skills or if you use any products to help make your nail art look better..
For example, the tifffany & co design i saw earlier had "T&CO" written on one nail in black paint, and this may be simple to do, but for me i try and it looks like a total mess :( and i just cannot do it ! ..

Im so interested in this, and really want to improve my skills..
I would love to see your pictures and even tutorials for beginners.
Thanks

Kim<3

Have you tried using sharpie pens?

No i havent,
as i said im completely new to nail art,
any advice you have would be much appreciated :)

Sharpies are great but sometimes bleed :( x

I am a massive fan of all things nail art.

I use models own nail art pens (they have a thin nib for intricate designs and a striping brush on the other side). They come in a few different colours.
I also use Barry M nail art pens which look pretty much like a felt tip and are very easy to use. These are great for writing and drawing shapes for example.

You can buy nail art brushes for this job too. I've heard that crystal nails do some lovely brushes (I need to purchase these too!).

My main advice though is practice, practice, practice! It's amazing how quickly you improve!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389638180.076893.jpg ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389638194.160411.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389638204.873941.jpg

Just a few examples xx

Ooh... Dotting tools are great, and Seche Vite top coat is a must for me as it's quick drying and gives a lovely finish to your work. (If using nail polish obviously.)

Sorry, getting carried away! LOVE nail art! Xx

One more thing! Tutorials: YouTube have tons.

Cutepolish was one of my faves when I first started. Wah nails have a great book too...

Thanks for all your advice!
I love all of your designs!
I do currently use the seche vite ultra v top coat as this completely seals a normal polish and gives the same finish as gel, lovely and shiny!

I dont have a nail art brush at hand at the moment, i am going to have to get some, i really want to try out some designs now!

I was always curious how people could add writing onto nail art, using the really fine brushes, as i would not ever be able to write neatly with a brush like that.

What about stripes? How do people say for example, have pink nails then on one nail have a white nail with pink stripes? is there a certain tape you need to use?

i will look at that video, i need to start off with the basics, flowers look so easy to do, but as ive said, when i try they dont look half as good as other peoples!

Thanks for all your advice!
I love all of your designs!
I do currently use the seche vite ultra v top coat as this completely seals a normal polish and gives the same finish as gel, lovely and shiny!

I dont have a nail art brush at hand at the moment, i am going to have to get some, i really want to try out some designs now!

I was always curious how people could add writing onto nail art, using the really fine brushes, as i would not ever be able to write neatly with a brush like that.

What about stripes? How do people say for example, have pink nails then on one nail have a white nail with pink stripes? is there a certain tape you need to use?

i will look at that video, i need to start off with the basics, flowers look so easy to do, but as ive said, when i try they dont look half as good as other peoples!

For stripes I use striping brushes but they do take practice. My lines were pants when I first started! Other than that though you can get striping tape. It's thin tape that you can use to lay down your pattern, paint over the top and then remove the tape.

You can use masking tape as well, just cut to size, stick on the back of your hand and take off too reduce the stickiness and use.

I've heard of the Seche Vite ultra V top coat.. Need to get some of that too!

I've heard of people using cocktail sticks as pens if you want to have a go before you get pens.

Flowers are easy prays with dotting tools. I got my dotting tools from amazon and they are great quality.

For brushes etc though I think it's good to invest in some decent brushes from nail companies as they are made especially for the purpose of nail art.

Instagram have a lot of nail art inspiration and mini tutorials on there too. Just #nailarttutorials

Enjoy the journey! It's so much fun!

I have loads more designs on my facebook page : www.facebook.com/hookednail

(You don't have to click "like" if you don't want too!)

*easy peasy not prays

Elleandish is brilliant for tutorials too x

Thanks for your advice,
love the picture of your nails sarah!

also ive just looked at your page i LOVE the wonderland nails, what polishes did you use for them? so glittery and sparkly! The blue looks so pretty!

oh, i dont have any cocktail sticks either haha!
Really want to try now !

Yes, masking tape would be a good idea, or them nail stripe stickers, which ive seen before. I'l have to upload a pic of my first attempt on here :)

Thanks for your advice,
love the picture of your nails sarah!

also ive just looked at your page i LOVE the wonderland nails, what polishes did you use for them? so glittery and sparkly! The blue looks so pretty!

oh, i dont have any cocktail sticks either haha!
Really want to try now !

Yes, masking tape would be a good idea, or them nail stripe stickers, which ive seen before. I'l have to upload a pic of my first attempt on here :)

Oh thanks so much!

I used normal polishes like opi etc for the colours ( can't remember the names!) but I used nails inc holographic top coat on top which gave them the amazing sparkle! They are one of my favourite sets that I've done.

It really means a lot to me to get good feedback as I haven't been doing it for long, so I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Angel gorg I do nail art too but have never considered selling the nails seperate this is such a great idea how
Much do u charge for a set? X
Here are some of my designs (I love a sharpie) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389648617.164881.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389648625.412079.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389648632.228844.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389648640.045933.jpg

Kim T you prob already know this but don't spend a fortune on special nail art paints just buy cheap acrylic paints for a couple of pounds for practicing, the paints have a much better consistency than polish for doin intricate nail art. I love my acrylic paints n still use them for my designs today along with my sharpies. For practicing I bought a really cheap set of nail art brushes from china too n jus messed about to see which shape and size brushes suited me best.
Main thing is u dont need to spend a lot
X

Angel gorg I do nail art too but have never considered selling the nails seperate this is such a great idea how
Much do u charge for a set? X
Here are some of my designs (I love a sharpie) View attachment 52671
View attachment 52672
View attachment 52673
View attachment 52674

Love your art!

I was selling them for £5 a set but made the rookie mistake of not adding P&P so wasn't making much on them at all!

I have seen a few other artists sell nail like this for anywhere between £5-13 depending on detailing (crystals etc).

There are a few people on Etsy.com selling them so you may want to have a look and get some ideas on how to size the artificial nails up and prices, it was helpful for me.

I agree about the acrylic paints too, although I haven't had much luck with the cheap brushes.

X

Ooooh ofcourse how do u size urs? Xx

Ooooh ofcourse how do u size urs? Xx

I only ever sold to friends of friends so I kind of just guessed! (This was before I saw a measuring guide on etsy.com.)

Latest posts

Back