Nail art product help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebeauty101

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help? I'm a mobile nail tech and want to start offering nail art but I'm not sure what products are best for drawing designs? I tried using my white gel polish but it still looked see through and I've also tried using acrylic paint which was a little better but still nowhere as good as it should be If anyone has any links to products that are best please share and also if you could recommend a good set of affordable brushes to use I would be so grateful x. I have attached some pics of nail art I've come across that I would love to mimic but the products and tools I have just don't achieve the same result Thanks in advance xxx

Attachments

• IMG_9819.JPG
    IMG_9819.JPG
    772.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9820.JPG
    IMG_9820.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9821.JPG
    IMG_9821.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 81
Hi, can anyone help? I'm a mobile nail tech and want to start offering nail art but I'm not sure what products are best for drawing designs? I tried using my white gel polish but it still looked see through and I've also tried using acrylic paint which was a little better but still nowhere as good as it should be If anyone has any links to products that are best please share and also if you could recommend a good set of affordable brushes to use I would be so grateful x. I have attached some pics of nail art I've come across that I would love to mimic but the products and tools I have just don't achieve the same result Thanks in advance xxx

Hi! My favourite paint for nail art is the Nsi secrets prism paints -
http://www.nsinails.co.uk/content/prism_paints

They're really pigmented and are easy to use. The white with these is lovely.

I have a fine detail brush from
Moyra - I haven't used it yet but it looks really good. Here's link to their brushes - http://www.moyrauk.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1257350-Art-Brushes.html

I will be using the brush today, so I can pop back on later and tell you what it was like.
Otherwise, I personally use a mixture of brushes that I have bought from different places. I have a set of nail art brushes from Poundland, they work fine. I also have a set from home bargains which work really well.
I also use this set from Amazon and this is my 'good' set, that I only use on clients, and that's because they are a tiny bit better than the cheaper ones, but at less then £4 you can't go wrong lol - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...d=1496387706&sr=8-1&keywords=nail+art+brushes

They all work - but none of them have the tiny super fine brushes so that's why I bought the moyra one.

I also use a mixture of shop bought acrylic paints, I bought mine from the works. They work okay, but if you have a bigger budget, try a better brand. Sometimes the cheaper versions aren't pigmented enough. I work a lot with regular polish purely because it's quick to remove.

Here's a design I did using polishes and the brushes I mentioned (and some stampers lol!)

Attachments

• IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    628.8 KB · Views: 101
Hi! My favourite paint for nail art is the Nsi secrets prism paints -
http://www.nsinails.co.uk/content/prism_paints

They're really pigmented and are easy to use. The white with these is lovely.

I have a fine detail brush from
Moyra - I haven't used it yet but it looks really good. Here's link to their brushes - http://www.moyrauk.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1257350-Art-Brushes.html

I will be using the brush today, so I can pop back on later and tell you what it was like.
Otherwise, I personally use a mixture of brushes that I have bought from different places. I have a set of nail art brushes from Poundland, they work fine. I also have a set from home bargains which work really well.
I also use this set from Amazon and this is my 'good' set, that I only use on clients, and that's because they are a tiny bit better than the cheaper ones, but at less then £4 you can't go wrong lol - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...d=1496387706&sr=8-1&keywords=nail+art+brushes

They all work - but none of them have the tiny super fine brushes so that's why I bought the moyra one.

I also use a mixture of shop bought acrylic paints, I bought mine from the works. They work okay, but if you have a bigger budget, try a better brand. Sometimes the cheaper versions aren't pigmented enough. I work a lot with regular polish purely because it's quick to remove.

Here's a design I did using polishes and the brushes I mentioned (and some stampers lol!)

Hi Faye,

Thank you soooo much! Mega informative and your work looks fab I'm glad you mentioned NSI as I use their products too so great to stick to a brand I know.

I tried to use my stamper with the gel polish I have and it was a total fail So here's hoping I get it right with the products you recommend.

Thank you again, super excited to see some better results xxx

Hi Faye,

Thank you soooo much! Mega informative and your work looks fab I'm glad you mentioned NSI as I use their products too so great to stick to a brand I know.

I tried to use my stamper with the gel polish I have and it was a total fail So here's hoping I get it right with the products you recommend.

You're welcome!

I don't think gel polish works as a stamping polish but you can apply a gel top coat over a regular stamping polish.

I always recommend MoYouLondon for stamping plates and polishes. They work really really well. I don't know how they work with gel polish but as regular polish they're fab.

I can have a go with mine and let you know if you want?

X

Quick & easy nail art can be done with Yours stamping plates. You can find them on sweetsquared.com
I'm not very creative so these are great for me and keeping the art consistent

Hi Faye,

Hey!
Since reading your question and comments I was super curious to see how stamping polish worked with gel polish lol

So last night I sat down and had a play around with some stuff I have to see how it would go.

I've included a photo so you can see the result.

I used some naio nails gels and a make me amazing gel for the base colours and the blended nail.
I then sealed in the base colours with a top coat and wiped off the inhibition layer.

For the art I free handed. I didn't use a stamper because I thought if it was going to go wrong with anything. It would go wrong with freehand because the paint is a bit thicker and uneven.
I used a stamping polish to see if it smudged. I used the MoYouLondon black and white stamping polishes.

After I was done with the art I sealed it all in with another layer of gel top coat. - usually when I'm using regular polish for nail art I find my top coats smudge the hell out of my designs but I was pleasantly surprised that the gel top coat didn't do that. I will say, where I've used a dotting tool, the paint did smudge, but it happened more because it was raised and the gel polish 'slipped' off the bumps before it was cured, so they rubbed off a tiny bit when I wiped the inhibition layer off. Nothing too bad though, so all in all, it works really well to use gel polish and stamping polish.

I've watched a demo with Greg from young nails at the NEC a few weeks ago, and he did the same where he used a regular stamping polish to stamp onto gel and then sealed them in with a gel top coat too. And my first hand experience reflected that.

So.....sorry for the essay lol! Hope you find it helpful though! Xx

Attachments

• IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 84
Quick & easy nail art can be done with Yours stamping plates. You can find them on sweetsquared.com
I'm not very creative so these are great for me and keeping the art consistent

Thanks Cassie,

I must admit I'm not the most creative person myself when it comes to ideas on what to draw but I love when a customer comes to me with a pic of nails then I can copy it lol

Hopefully with time I'll create my own ideas xx

You're welcome!

I don't think gel polish works as a stamping polish but you can apply a gel top coat over a regular stamping polish.

I always recommend MoYouLondon for stamping plates and polishes. They work really really well. I don't know how they work with gel polish but as regular polish they're fab.

I can have a go with mine and let you know if you want?

X

Your nail art is so good, I love the effect of the feathers you did. I'm going to b trying something very similar to try and draw palm trees so hopefully the brushes you recommended can help with that fine detail.

If you don't mind posting a pic of the stamping that would be great too, I'm open to all the help I can get! Spent a small fortune already on my daughter so I'll need to wait till the end of the week after I've done more nails and tan appointments before I can look into buying all the goodies you have kindly shown me. Thanks again, hope good karma finds you xx

Thanks! I get a lot of my inspiration from Pinterest. It's deffo worth getting an account and searching for nails art ideas on there. There's thousands on there and I quite often find that when im scrolling through, I find things I like and then come up witn mt own ideas that are inspired rather than carbon copies.... not that there is anything wrong with copying at all, I've done it myself many times lol.

But inspiration can really get your own creative juices flowing and I find that just as much fun lol

I will have a go tonight with some plates and send over a pic or tomorrow so show you! X

Your nail art is so good, I love the effect of the feathers you did. I'm going to b trying something very similar to try and draw palm trees so hopefully the brushes you recommended can help with that fine detail.

If you don't mind posting a pic of the stamping that would be great too, I'm open to all the help I can get! Spent a small fortune already on my daughter so I'll need to wait till the end of the week after I've done more nails and tan appointments before I can look into buying all the goodies you have kindly shown me. Thanks again, hope good karma finds you xx

Have a look at Sarah R Nail Designs on YouTube. She has loads of tutorials on stamping and other nail art techniques. Also search on here as there are lots of posts on stamping.
I would say that nail art is personal. Find the technique that works for you. I spent many,many frustrated hours trying to get to grips with water marbling. In the end I get a similar effect with pigment powder and stamping.
Also, with stamping it is also personal. A stamper one person likes another won't. Also, different stampers work with some designs and not others.
Remember nail art should be fun (I.M.O) if it's not try a different technique. Obviously there will be a learning period, but if it doesn't work for you, find something that does.
Have fun.

Hey! I got too curious so did a quick stamp on one finger.
I used a design that had thick and thin parts to see if the gel polish top coat was going to smudge any of it and it didn't.

It looks perfect lol.

Stamper, polish, and plate all from MoYouLondon
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1496515054.085468.jpg

Have a look at Sarah R Nail Designs on YouTube. She has loads of tutorials on stamping and other nail art techniques. Also search on here as there are lots of posts on stamping.
I would say that nail art is personal. Find the technique that works for you. I spent many,many frustrated hours trying to get to grips with water marbling. In the end I get a similar effect with pigment powder and stamping.
Also, with stamping it is also personal. A stamper one person likes another won't. Also, different stampers work with some designs and not others.
Remember nail art should be fun (I.M.O) if it's not try a different technique. Obviously there will be a learning period, but if it doesn't work for you, find something that does.
Have fun.

Thank you pashaboutnails I will get watching and practicing! I'm a not very confident with new things and always want to give up if I'm not perfect straight away! Lol. Your right it should be enjoyable xx

That looks great Faye! I must admit I bought a cheap stamper from china so no doubt that's causing me problems I struggled to build my kit at the start as I was on mat leave and money was tight but now I'm in a better position to get good tools and with your help I know where! Bad for looking on eBay for everything xxx

Thank you pashaboutnails I will get watching and practicing! I'm a not very confident with new things and always want to give up if I'm not perfect straight away! Lol. Your right it should be enjoyable xx

That looks great Faye! I must admit I bought a cheap stamper from china so no doubt that's causing me problems I struggled to build my kit at the start as I was on mat leave and money was tight but now I'm in a better position to get good tools and with your help I know where! Bad for looking on eBay for everything xxx

You can get a plethora of great things off eBay, I myself have bought glitters, rhinestones and mica powders that have all
Been amazing. But I try to buy from UK sellers so I know I can return them if they are crap.
Luckily though, I haven't had any issues with stuff like that. But I have had bad luck with stanpers so I totally get where you're coming from.
After having such bad quality stampers from eBay, I decided to buy the MoYouLondon ones and have never looked back lol

You can get a plethora of great things off eBay, I myself have bought glitters, rhinestones and mica powders that have all
Been amazing. But I try to buy from UK sellers so I know I can return them if they are crap.
Luckily though, I haven't had any issues with stuff like that. But I have had bad luck with stanpers so I totally get where you're coming from.
After having such bad quality stampers from eBay, I decided to buy the MoYouLondon ones and have never looked back lol
Thanks again Faye, you've been such a great help xxx

Latest posts

Back