Nail biting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shell-Perfect10

Reaction score
Hi nail geeks :)
I've popped over from skin geek to ask your advice.
When ever I'm really stressed or busy (which can be quite alot haha) I
Bite my nails to the point it's actually sore to even type this right now!!
Can you advise what to do to stop?
I've tried a polish by Jessica which tasted vile but I found if I ate fruit or a sandwich or anything with my hands it would taste of this polish so
I gave up!
Any tips? Most of the time I'm bot actually aware I'm doing it cos I've done it for so long until I've actual bit it right down and it hurts :(

I hate it they look so bad!!! Xxx

Have you tried a gel polish manicure the look amazing and once you see pretty nails you might want to stop x

I'm so embarrassed to go to a nail tech cos there so tiny and horrible looking!!! Xx

I'm so embarrassed to go to a nail tech cos there so tiny and horrible looking!!! Xx

Nail tech's see it all the time don't worry about that lol. I did my neice at weekend her's will very little and short and bitten though looked great with some gelish on them and it'll help the to grow up x

Hi nail geeks :)
I've popped over from skin geek to ask your advice.
When ever I'm really stressed or busy (which can be quite alot haha) I
Bite my nails to the point it's actually sore to even type this right now!!
Can you advise what to do to stop?
I've tried a polish by Jessica which tasted vile but I found if I ate fruit or a sandwich or anything with my hands it would taste of this polish so
I gave up!
Any tips? Most of the time I'm bot actually aware I'm doing it cos I've done it for so long until I've actual bit it right down and it hurts :(

I hate it they look so bad!!! Xxx

I know what you mean. I used to bite until I bled, and even that didn't stop me! I tend to bite when there is some scraggly little bit sticking up or some tiny split or a rough edge. I think having your nails look good with all of the rough edges tamed really helps. So keeping them groomed, even if short, really helps me. I'd suggest getting a good gel polish mani from a tech that really "gets" biters - they're out there! Then you don't have to be embarrassed because she's probably seen much worse than yours. I'd suggest a bright colour, something that really catches your eye and reminds you of how good your nails could look. I spent most of my life hiding my nails, never wearing bright reds. But now, I'm wearing a bright red and I keep looking at my nails. Use a good cuticle cream/oil a couple of times daily - in fact, when you get stressed, put on some cuticle cream and massage your nails. It uses up some of that nervous energy. HTH

it's a bit out there but as a lifetime nail bitter I thought I would try it... EFT (emotional freedom technique), some call it tapping. You need a good practitioner! I have stopped bitting and my nails look NORMAL! It is very exciting once it kicks in. Best of luck!

I understand how painful this can be. I've been a nail biter throughout my life, although have stopped once or twice. I've been biting again recently, but have managed to stop for 2 weeks now.

I love it when people come to me as a nail tech saying their nails look bad, and then they see mine and realise there are people worse off than themselves lol

I've started putting Gelish on. Just foundation, Simple Sheer and top coat and my nails have started growing - only a little, but I can see the difference.

I opt for a colourless soak-off gel to not draw any more unwanted attention to the nails until they are a good length for a colour and the client won't feel too embarrassed if people were to look.

Yes, I peel my Gelish off but it's much better than biting the actual nail. Perhaps if I paid someone to do them for me I wouldn't feel inclined to peel it off.

As said before, good maintenance is key too. File any straggly edges and keep a check on them. I recommend a dull file so not to file too much off, but enough that you can't feel the uneven nail. You'll still be able to see your growth but it won't be tempting you to bite as it's well maintained.

Also try hand lotions and cuticle oils. Keeping these near you, if you notice you have put your fingers in your mouth, throw some lotion or oil on them, and hopefully the taste will help deter you.

Most importantly, good luck! :)

would you not get a set of gels on, have them rebalanced a few times then once removed your own nails will be grown out under them and then you can go nuts getting funky nail stuff done.:D

Latest posts

Back