Nail client complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemfox

Reaction score
Hi guys, we had a lady come in recently for shellac and IBX, she came in again a couple of weeks later for the same and isn't very happy with her service. This is her version of her issues and our defence! :

• she said colour is patchy (she chose a light pink shellac and she has white spots on her nails and basically the colour hasn't covered them which the therapist explained that it wouldn't)
• she said it's not smooth and feels bumpy (due to ridges and damage from having gel extensions somewhere else, therapist did lightly buff but didn't want to cause further damage and did point this out to the client)
• she said that the therapist had a cold that she has now caught (I don't even know what to say to that [emoji23])
• she said that it was more expensive than what she thought (we had put our prices up a month previously and had displayed that where possibly)
• she also said that she was surprised to have had to pay for IBX again as she apparently didn't ask for it (the therapist would have explained that she needed more than the one treatment, and the client didn't stop her when she started putting it on?!)

Anyway, she actually came back later that same day of her appointment to say about 'patchiness' and the therapist suggested she have a darker colour to cover the white spots, client said she liked that colour and left.
She called to ask if she had been over charged and the therapist explained the prices ( we are still very competitively priced!)
She called twice more with the other problems and the therapist told her to come in and we will remove it but apparently we can't do any times that she can do.

Anyway, she has now emailed me with all of these concerns and I have no idea what to say! I struggle to not sound really defensive in these types of situations and although the customer should always be treated as if they are right, I don't want go against my therapist...she's amazing at nails and I know this won't be a case of it being her fault!
Sorry for the lengthy post. If anyone has any suggestions on a good email back that would be great! Thanks!

Wow! You poor thing. She sounds a nightmare. Unfortunately... I have a couple of these clients. I'm not sure what you can say that hasn't already been said to her. I'd just say I'm sorry she isn't satisfied with her service but unfortunately due to the state of her nails from previous nail services a perfect look could not be achieved at this time but these concerns were addressed within the appointment by the therapist.

However at her next appointment you would be pleased to help her choose a more covering nail colour to suit her needs and perhaps a layer of brisa lite smoothing gel to help with the ridges and create the smooth look she longs for.

As for the price, I'm sorry you hadn't realised that the price increase was implemented a month ago, however this was displayed in all areas for clients to be aware.

If you would like me to remove the shellac for you and you try a different product elsewhere then I completely understand although I would be sad to lose the business of a valued customer.

Hahahaha that's what I would say anyway lol. Hope someone else can be of more help x

I had a similar client that had very damaged, weak nails from bad acrylics. She wanted gel polish but kept choosing pale pastel colours. I repeatedly explained that pastels would highlight the damage in her nails and this time around she'd be better with a more opaque colour. She agreed and then as I was applying she suddenly pipes up 'oh we are going with that one are we?' So I wipe it off the first nail and she decides she wants the very pale, powder green. I had to do three coats to stop it looking patchy on her ridged nails and even then it wasn't perfect. At the end she keeps looking at her hands all forlorn saying it's not how she imagined! Argh!!

You get these types everywhere, you just have to grit your teeth and smile and pretend you care. She's been told, she didn't listen.
I used to work at a riding school and despite signing forms stating they understood that there is a risk of falling off etc, people would still complain if they/their kid fell off. I had a woman threaten to sue to because apparently i should have been making sure the pony didnt move its head at all while her child was on it.

I just feel like by addressing all of her points I'm sounding defensive and don't want to come across as rude?! But I really don't know what to say?!

M
I just feel like by addressing all of her points I'm sounding defensive and don't want to come across as rude?! But I really don't know what to say?!
maybe you could ring her instead? Emails can be read bluntly even when they're not. You would possibly come across less defensive speaking it in a friendly voice rather than putting it in an email? Just an idea xx

aayspa has given you the perfect reply to her, it addresses and acknowledges each of her concerns, gives a solution without aportioning blame on either party, and leaves with a polite ending which will potentially keep her as a client - try that and see how it goes.

You may find she's a habitual complainer and you will never satisfy her but the above is a good starting point.

M

maybe you could ring her instead? Emails can be read bluntly even when they're not. You would possibly come across less defensive speaking it in a friendly voice rather than putting it in an email? Just an idea xx
I actually prefer emails in this situation because I can read and reread before I send. I tend to be extremely nice, absorbing their disappointment and really trying to improve the situation without apportioning blame on the poor therapist. It also gives a history of what's been said so no confusion!

We only work on the natural nail so we have a lot of clients who have decided not to continue with extensions. They have had them removed - often badly - and want help growing the natural nail. The problem arises because when they went to that cheap nail bar and had fat, thick pink and white extensions put on, their nails actually looked quite good. They may be drilled, thin, damaged, but they looked okay. They then come to us and want the same wow factor of long glamorous nails when what they actually have is crumbly thin nails with ridges from drilling and poor removal. Their cuticles are dry because nobody has ever sold them a cuticle oil and their nails look shit!
We often have to take down what little length there is because the nails are in such poor condition.

If she'd had and paid for decent extensions, she would have had decent removal and she should still have decent nails but she hasn't. She wanted the cheap sort cut.

Some clients are worth letting go.

Good luck

Vic x

Shame sounds like a typical local of certain caliber always complaining to try get something free out of it. At the end of the day don't let one idiot ruin your mood. As long as your therapist was telling the truth then you have nothing to worry about. The client who changes salons like her underpants is the one who looks undecided not the salons. We all have clients who are in reasonable.

Just be firm. Don't let them walk away or over you.
Was the ibx and shellac applied well and correctly . Yes . Therefore don't complains. Colour choice is NOT therapist fault if she wants change colour she PAYS for it.
Shellac you don't file buff nails so again your reply about ridges is correct.

If you let her bully you she will.
Xx

Awww sounds awful. .. dont let it upset you.... this is the exact reason why client record cards need to be completed..... i use record cards and literally put everything on them .... its good to refer back to.... especially in situations like this ☺

I actually agree with aayspa. She covered all points. One more thing though if you go the email route don't say "I am sorry". Tell her anything but... "it is a shame you feel this way", "it is a pity". The moment you say "I am sorry" you admit it was your fault regardless of the context. And there wasn't any of your (or your therapist's) fault.

I've just re read the original post, she is a time waster. She has to go. All this time emailing and contacting and cold catching etc it's not your problem nor are her damaged nails lol. Refusing to to have them re done etc when you have suggested it coming back in etc it sounds like she not worth your time. Sounds to me like she is trying to get a refund and wants to keep the nails on. You have offered her a removal and a different colour. She has refused. I would say that gel polish is not for everyone and you will remove it for her but she will need to find another salon from now on xx

Great advice given already. Can only reinforce the importance of client record cards, all the advice given would have been written down and she would have signed to say she agreed and understood. Okay it takes an extra 5 mins but so worth it.

Whatever reply you make, put on your best salon owner smile. To be honest I would ring her and say that you are concerned she didn't receive the service she was expecting, and ask her what you can do. Throwing the ball back into their court can really help. sometimes people are just complainers, they haven't actually thought what outcome they want from their complaint.

This post is a year old. Hope they've sorted the client by now ;)

Latest posts

Back