Nail Comp - Novice - Advice Please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

Reaction score
Hi there Geekoids,

I have decided to enter the novice category at Excel in 2007. I always said I would never compete but changed my mind after looking at the categories. I was happy to see that the Novice was only open to techs who had never entered before and had under a years experience. This gave me more confidence because all the other techies would be in the same boat as me!

Anyway, I have been browsing away ever since after deciding to do it in all my nail magazines with comp articles and on here, but I still have a few questions...

1.) Score Sheet, Score Sheet, Score Sheet..... I keep coming across this invaluable piece of paper that I will be receiving after the comp to see how I did and where I can make improvements - but i'm thinking, it would help to see what is marked on EXACTLY before I compete!

A.) Do we have an online Score Sheet example here?? Because I can't find it anywhere!

B.) How many points is it out of in total?

C.) If there is no example score sheet, what is the general break down of scoring? I know there is floor judging for tidyness and hygiene and polishing, but what are they looking for in each aspect of the nail - smile line, apex, consitency, etc??

2.)1 Hand P&W, the other polish - Will I be allowed to do the polish hand in just natural??

A.) Or will doing both help in consistency??

B.) If it doesn't help with consistency, why still do both P&W wouldn't it be easier to just do the other hand natural as it's quicker?

3.) Model - I chose my sister, not out of convenience, but because she has great nails and long nail beds! Her nails always look good, she's like the perfect client you want but who never pays you! lol

A.) Anyway, she has overlays on atm and I've read you should start looking after the hands and cuticles from around now with frequent manicures & lotions etc, which is fine. But I don't know if i should take the l&p off altogether?? I've read in one place that you should take any l&p off way before and start maintaining frequently, but in another place that you shouldn't and that a thin layer of l&P should still be applied too. Which is best for the comp???

Well i'm sure I had more questions, but i've got block now so this will do. Any help is appreciated!

Also, Happy New Year to all for tonight! Only a mini family party here thank god!

Hi, firstly, well done for having the guts to enter, you're going to love it!

With regards to the scoresheet, phone theCompetition hotline (can be found on the professional beauty website) and the people there can give you LOADS of info on what you will be scored on. I entered my first comp last year and they were really helpful.

It will make a huge difference having a model with good nail beds, even better for you that she's your sis! I would recomend giving her regular mani's between now and then. A thin clear overlay will help to stop breakages etc but they will have to be short for the start of the comp so a regular mani with a good strengthner ought to do the trick.

You're right about the other hand (polished one) you don't need to do P&W but you can if you wish (but it takes longer and you have a limited time period). Its normally easier and quicker to do one hand P&W and the other in just Pink. (Don't think natural powder is allowed, although clear is).

Pm me if you want to kno more, it will be just my personal experience and opinion on comps though (which I think are great btw!) but def go on the prof beauty website and click on excell and nail comp. You'll pick up some info (rules etc) from there but also a phone no to talk to someone.

hth xx

Ooohhh, thanks for that, yeh I will go on pro beauty and get the number to ring them.. I think it's good to over prepare for my first time! Thanks for the support!

I also did my first 2 practise comp nails on my friend (yes, only 2, she hates nails and refused to have anymore!) Anyway, didn't get pics but i'm going to hopefully practice once on my sis (i'm a bit scared to practise too many times on her) and find other girls to practise comp nails on - but i don't think that will be easy! Will i have to give away my comp practice ones??? I don't know how to find people to practice on otherwise!

Oh! And do you know how many novices enter a competition on average?? I don't want to come last!! You won't hear from me at the time if I do!

xxx

Latest posts

Back