nail courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bird18

Reaction score
hi can anyone help me with doing nail courses.i wanted to do one from home, is this really a good way to do a course.i wanted to do the home course and if i really enjoy it do something with better qualifications. i did start doing a course with my sister but for personal reasons coud not carry on.but i would rather do a course at home because im not very confident :( so if anyone could possibly help with my inquery. sorry but would you be able to private message me cos im bit confused bout using this website as this is my first time on the site,thankyou very much.
bird18 :)

vic do a search, there has recently been a post on the pros and cons of the different type of training, if you wanna do home learn, then go to the essential nails website. seeing as you did the nvq, but didnt take the exam, you should have no probs with the home learn, and if you do have any probs you know im always here to help. ne way hurry up and do it, im getting feed up of doing my own nails sis!:biggrin:

I started with the home learn course, and thought it was a good place to start to find out if this is the carear you want to get into. However I think if you want to become a nail tech that can complete all types of services I think the home learn courses can be pricier than they appear to be. This is because they have broken all the services into separate courses. For example if you buy the acrylic tip and overlay course (which I did), you get a great deal of information on completing this service but thats were it ends. So when your customer wants infills you won't have any idea how to complete the service. To find out how to maintain nails you have to buy another course (even without the cost of the nail trainer its still expensive). To do sculptured nails this is also only taught if you buy another course and I think it's very useful to be able to do both tips and sculptured nails.

Although I can't comment on all nail courses out there I have completed my four day foundation course with Creative, on the course you cover Acrylic tip and overlay, sculptured nails and maintenance. You don't become an expert in the four days but the four days do cover many techniques that you can practice. There are many other courses that Creative offer to help further your knowledge and skills as a nail tech.

I have also had training from NSI which I thought were good and they have a good reputation. Im sure NSI also provide a service were you can have an educator come to your home and from there you can build your confidence up. The number for NSI: 0500 131 009

she didnt explain her self very well! Naughty bird18!

she started NVQ unit 19 nail enhancements, did the whole course, but left when she broke her thumb before the assesment, then decided she wouldnt carry on with this particular course. reason being she was doing her beauty course (level 2) and was going to move on to level 3 next, where you covered l&P, she has learnt all 3 systems, and the maintenance and sculpting, and thought hey, i'll get my qualification with the beauty course. shame is, they wouldnt let her do level 3, they said the reason was because she has epilepsy, and that because they were doing electrolisis (sp) no one could practice on her which wouldnt be fair on other students. how bad is that wouldnt let her do the next year because of her disability! and she broke her thumb at the college, couldnt do practical for ages, but yet still managed to complete the course (well done iccle vicky!).

as she now has no enhancement qualification she wanted to know about the home learn course as a means to getting a qualification, and also as u get a nail trainer with it, she can get back up to scratch again on it and do it all in her own time, shes also moving to york soon with her man whos in the army, so she cant commit herself to a course which is based somewhere.

i think she was after the pros and cons from people to find out if the course is worth it. but it would have been a lot easier, if she had just explained this from the start!!!!

i personally think she should do a creative foundation course! But hey! i dont know anything about the home learn course to pass judgement on it, so im therefore no help. but i would assume, because she already has the knowledge and skill (just needs to practice more, like all new techs do) im sure the home learn would be ideal, and she can just practice, fill out the card send it off and get her certificate, and if she has ne probs shes got me to give a helping hand!

Hi,

I've done both - being the Home Learn Acrylic Tip and Overlay and the Creative 4 Day Foundation Course.

If you already have some experience doing nails then I would definately say opt for the Creative Course. You can have it all done and dusted in a couple of weeks, have your certificate and get your insurance.

You'll get the nail trainer at this course too which is a bonus and also you get you use their fab products and get further training later on to get your Masters Qualification.

Hope this advice might help.

Hi,

Having to move soon isn't a problem.
The courses offered by most suppliers are only a few days as they are fundamentally about showing you how their product works, they don't go into anywhere near the detail you'll have covered in your NVQ.
The Creative foundation it's only 3 days then 1 day 2 weeks later, so you're not commiting yourself to somewhere, like you would a college, for the long term. (You also get a nail trainer with the Creative FDFC so you can practise at home to your hearts content!).

If you go with a supplier that doesn't provide a nail traner you could always look on Geekbay/ebay for one.

Alternatively, speak to a college closer to where you're moving, they may offer a different answer/solution to you gaining the part of the NVQ you didn't get?? Not sure how it works to know if this is possible but no harm in asking?

Just a thought, maybe you could contact Chocolate as she is an NVQ assessor, it may be possible that having done most of your course you could still get the assessement done? That would save the £££ on starting from scratch again. You could buy a nail trainer separately (several on Geekbay I think, and probably on Ebay too) for practising on. Then, if you're nervous going on a course with a group of people it would give you time to get back into the swing of things on your own. Maybe then when you're a bit more comfortable you could go about picking your company. You could talk to Creative and see if they might let you do a conversion rather than the foundation considering you have done such a wide course already, otherwise if it's just for product knowledge (and you're not going with Creative), most companies do one day conversion courses to teach you their individual application techniques and trouble shooting.
It's highly unfair that the college wouldn't let you go on to level 3, blatant discrimination, but I'm sure you're mad enough at them already without me getting you going! :)
Good luck with what you decide to do, hopefully you can find a way of putting your existing work to good use rather than having to start from the beginning again.
Lol x

hi bird18, i've just started an essential nails home learn course and can highly recommend them. I spent 9 months doing a college course and feel somewhat cheated, at least i can keep rewinding the video tape and not feel embarrased by asking the same question several times because i couldn't see what the tutor was demonstrating! keep at it, i've had loads of obstacles in my way and being a bloke hasn't helped, but it's worth it.

bimbogeri said:
Just a thought, maybe you could contact Chocolate as she is an NVQ assessor, it may be possible that having done most of your course you could still get the assessement done? That would save the £££ on starting from scratch again. You could buy a nail trainer separately (several on Geekbay I think, and probably on Ebay too) for practising on. Then, if you're nervous going on a course with a group of people it would give you time to get back into the swing of things on your own. Maybe then when you're a bit more comfortable you could go about picking your company. You could talk to Creative and see if they might let you do a conversion rather than the foundation considering you have done such a wide course already, otherwise if it's just for product knowledge (and you're not going with Creative), most companies do one day conversion courses to teach you their individual application techniques and trouble shooting.
It's highly unfair that the college wouldn't let you go on to level 3, blatant discrimination, but I'm sure you're mad enough at them already without me getting you going! :)
Good luck with what you decide to do, hopefully you can find a way of putting your existing work to good use rather than having to start from the beginning again.
Lol x
the nvq has changed totally now so this wouldn't be possible.

i think more than anything her confidence took a blow when she wasnt allowed to do level 3.

Hi
I think Alex mentioned that with the Creative foundation course you cover sculptured nails? I did my course in Newquay but we weren't shown sculptured, only tips and overlay and maintenance/rebalance.

That's a shame, I thought the new NVQ was a series of assessements based on experience, so if you're sister already has all the knowledge then she'd be able to simply 'prove' it to get a qualification. Maybe you could PM Mum or Chocolate and see if they would be able to do anything with what your sis already has, it just seems a shame that she'll have to pay for 3 separate courses if she wants insurance. I don't know that much about NVQs but my understanding was that it was a qualification rather than a course, and it seems like by knowing all three systems, maintenance and scuplting, she is at least halfway there to ticking all the checkboxes you need.
Sorry, I hope you don't think I was being flippant either with my comment about not being able to go onto level 3. :sad:
Hope you can work something out!
lol x

Hi Geeks

Bimbogerri prompted me to look at the thread. Thanks Gerri (is that your name??)

A home learn course is a good start if this is what suits you right now. It definately does not give you enough experience to be a professional technician. As a professional you need to understand how to deal with lots of different 'real' people. As a home learn 'graduate' you can probaly do great stuff on a plastic finger. There is more to do!!!!

Depending on how you achieve your NVQ (units or complete levels) it can be a complete training course or it an be a series if assessments on what you can do already (and know)

Speak to Chocolalate (rachel) and see what she can suggest.

What matters most is good training from an experienced technician/teacher and loads of experience with loads of different real people. Anything less is not a professional :D

Decide what you want to achieve. If you want to be a professional it will take time and probably money; if you want to be an amateur do a short course and work on your friends and family (and that's OK too)

Hope this helps a bit

Marian

Thanks mum, my thoughts exactly. Trainer hands are great, still use my now, but class room / salon experience is a must as well.
We can offer the new NVQ units soon and they are all optional, no training unless required, so you can just be assessed. Perfect for those already trained that need or want a national certificate.

It costs £59 to enrol inc 1 unit, £29 for each unit from then on, and then £49 for each assessment. Most units will need 3 or 4 assessments but im still waiting for that to be clarified. You can choose to take nail extensions, rebalence, manicure, pedicure, nail art etc at your own pace, book the assessments when you like, even have an assessor come to you!

Watch this space, will post asap when i know more!

Latest posts

Back