Nail drill speed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeahNails

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I am trying to figure out what speed a nail drill should be, 20, 25 or 30000 rpm.

I have done a search on this forum and all I can find is brands rather than speed recommendations, and I'm still none the wiser!

Thanks in Advance,

Leah

I don't have an e file (yet soon though). But just wondering who you did your e file training with? Did they not go over the different speeds with the model you are using?
Vicki x

I havent done it yet, I am not going to do it until I am reaching distance of getting a nail drill but even the high end ones seem to vary in speed and cost. I dont want to spend £300 on a drill only to figure out I should have spent £400 on a different speed, hence the original question.

edited to add:

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Last edited:
When I learnt e filing in college they suggested you should only use 30,000 hth

You'd have to try one out to see what speed you're comfortable with. I started out with the Kupa mani-pro at 15,000 rpm. That's a great e-file for beginners. I'm now using a YN99 at 30,000. As for pricing, think of it as an investment. I'm not saying go out and get the most expensive one available. :lol: But there's probably a reason people use what they use. The cheaper the drill, the harder it is to work with. YN99 did dent my wallet a bit, but I love the feel of it. Very lightweight, quiet, compact, and the handpiece doesn't vibrate violently like the cheaper e-files on the market.

my electric file goes from 5,000 to 30,000. I have NEVER used it on the highest speed. There hasn't been a need. Use what's comfortable, but for heaven's sake, get some training before using it on a client! Even from another educated nail tech near you... Don't go in blind! I use a very low setting with an extra fine sanding band for buffing thick or ridged natural nails, and carbide bits for acrylic use. I also have a pedicure bit, which I have come to adore. Practice on YOURSELF first, so you know how it feels from both sides. And buy from a reputable vendor. I will NEVER make the Amazon mistake again. Kupa, Ram, etc. Get a GOOD e-file, with a warranty. We like to think we won't drop it, or a client won't knock it off... but it happens.

my electric file goes from 5,000 to 30,000. I have NEVER used it on the highest speed. There hasn't been a need. Use what's comfortable, but for heaven's sake, get some training before using it on a client! Even from another educated nail tech near you... Don't go in blind! I use a very low setting with an extra fine sanding band for buffing thick or ridged natural nails, and carbide bits for acrylic use. I also have a pedicure bit, which I have come to adore. Practice on YOURSELF first, so you know how it feels from both sides. And buy from a reputable vendor. I will NEVER make the Amazon mistake again. Kupa, Ram, etc. Get a GOOD e-file, with a warranty. We like to think we won't drop it, or a client won't knock it off... but it happens.

Like you my KUPA has a slider that varies the speed up to over 30,000 rpm but I have never used it at top speed and I wouldn't like to either. :Scared:

Go for the name and reputation and get the best you can afford from that brand and within your price range. You can't go wrong with a KUPA.

Wish i hadn't posted now, so the college I attended are wrong in their information?
How do you know what is the right and wrong information when a college tutor tells you wrong ?

Wish i hadn't posted now, so the college I attended are wrong in their information?
How do you know what is the right and wrong information when a college tutor tells you wrong ?

Perhaps you misunderstood, and when they suggested a machine that does up to. 30,000 rpm, what they were suggesting was a quality machine and not to actually use the drill AT that speed. Most machines that can do 30,000 rpm are machines at the better end of the market which is why they suggested it.

As a student, we don't always get the full meaning of what a tutor is imparting because we don't understand the whole picture. With salon geek you are just adding more colours to the picture and rounding out your knowledge and building on your learning.

It is hard to know if you are being given correct and factual info from college tutors as they and their expeience is so varied. So you did the right thing to post to thesalongeek to check! that is why we are here. You should be glad you posted. :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I previously posted to say I will have training but want to make sure I'm in a position to purchase one at the same time hance me looking around then I know what I need to spend on the machine..... X

Latest posts

Back