Nail Foil do's and dont's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FingerKlix

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum so please don't tell me off if someone has already posted this but from what i can see, no-one has.

Ive just started up a nail art business with my friend. Its small at the moment and we are still practicing our favourite designs and techniques.

I was just wondering about nail foil.

Is there anything else but the nail foil adhesive that makes it work?
Do we think eyelash glue may do the trick?
and also, once the nail foil is on,
can I apply polish designs on top of it and gems?
Or will that ruin the effect?
Please let me know your experiences and add pics if possible.
I love to see other people designs!

Thank you for reading!
Alix Xx

I love using foil but I don't use the foil adhesive. I mostly use it with shellac since it sticks to the inhibition layer and you don't need adhesive. On regular polish, there's a glue called Best Glue Ever and it really is. It's actually for scrap booking but I heard about it from Robin Moses and its awesome. You can look up her videos as well as Holly's (fingernail fixer) for video tutorials.

Would you use this glue if you were to use foils alongside Vinylux?

The trick is with the glue that comes with the adhesives is to let it dry I normally leave it 5mins + It does work it just needs to be dry before you put the foil on.
I nearly threw the whole lot through the window when I 1st started but I kept persisting and it is really in the drying of the glue, dont apply it too thick either!

some topcoats can shrink the foil but if you float the topcoat you should be ok.
I like konad stamping over some foils but Ive added gems and other designs over the top.
Once you get the knack of letting the glue dry perfectly you are fine.

Yes, the glue it comes with does work, but the Best Glue Ever works so much better and you don't have to wait as long for it to dry. It also holds the foil together a little bit better once you topcoat. I've tried a bunch of different top coats and they all seem to shatter the foil. I experimented on my nails and tried Seche, Lumos, and Super Shiny on different nails. Super Shiny won, it cracked the foil the least. If you really want to keep the foil intact, then you're better off using it with Shellac because it doesn't shatter at all. I haven't tried it with Vinylux yet though because I love my current manicure and don't want to change it just yet :)

I don't really know how to ask this but here goes..

If you only wanted to foil a small part of the nail, do you just put the glue where you want the foil to stick to? So if you wanted foil over the entire nail - glue the whole plate and if you just wanted a wee pattern then the foil will stick to where you've glued?

I so hope that makes sense!

I don't really know how to ask this but here goes..

If you only wanted to foil a small part of the nail, do you just put the glue where you want the foil to stick to? So if you wanted foil over the entire nail - glue the whole plate and if you just wanted a wee pattern then the foil will stick to where you've glued?

I so hope that makes sense!

Yes thats right, on a dried nail the foil will only stick to the glue.

Sugarmama, do you have a link to where I can find the glue you mention?

Wandered if you guys can help me. Where online is the best to buy foils?

Also, if you have a UV lamp use it to dry (cure) the glue for 2 minutes, perfect to get the foils to stick :green:
You can get foils from nails delight or eBay :lol:

hi we have the biggest range in the uk but they sell so fast we cant keep up we have just brought in a new range of sheets and transparent foils that are amazing, the glues do work but time has to be given we also do the y body glue for body art that alot of people favour

hi we have the biggest range in the uk but they sell so fast we cant keep up we have just brought in a new range of sheets and transparent foils that are amazing, the glues do work but time has to be given we also do the y body glue for body art that alot of people favour

You have been bookmarked :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Will get on there thanks xxxxxx

Quick few questions about foil!!! Is it possible to use with Gelish? I'd like to still use the foil glue? Will it be ok with top it off over it? And would it also be able to be used over a colour or Just over foundation? Sorry for hijacking!! Xxx

Ok I'm a total newbie to nail art how in earth do i do fouls or where can I find tutorial YouTube?

I haven't tried it with Vinylux yet though because I love my current manicure and don't want to change it just yet :)

We did foils over Vinylux at the CND Playstation on Monday. You do your two coats of color, wait 7 minutes, then press the foil into the Vinylux. No glue needed. It worked, great. Top coat with Vinylux TC and no cracking!

There's a pic of my crazy foil nails in the Vinylux group. :)

Quick few questions about foil!!! Is it possible to use with Gelish? I'd like to still use the foil glue? Will it be ok with top it off over it? And would it also be able to be used over a colour or Just over foundation? Sorry for hijacking!! Xxx

The gelish top coat isn't sticky enough but their base coat it. Do a normal application and then use the base coat all over or where you want it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes, the glue it comes with does work, but the Best Glue Ever works so much better and you don't have to wait as long for it to dry. It also holds the foil together a little bit better once you topcoat. I've tried a bunch of different top coats and they all seem to shatter the foil. I experimented on my nails and tried Seche, Lumos, and Super Shiny on different nails. Super Shiny won, it cracked the foil the least. If you really want to keep the foil intact, then you're better off using it with Shellac because it doesn't shatter at all. I haven't tried it with Vinylux yet though because I love my current manicure and don't want to change it just yet :)

I read somewhere that any quick dry or super shiny top coat will wrinkle the foil. So, I tried it myself, and sure enough, messed the whole design up. Now I use plain old OPI top coat

Hi geeks! I need some advice!

I'm new to foils so have been doing some playing before offering it as an added service!

What I'm struggling with is getting the whole pattern to transfer in one go, the foil I have the problem with is mystic.

I've tried just adhesive, just shellac tacky layer, adhesive over shellac and I just can't get it to work,

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Hi geeks! I need some advice!

I'm new to foils so have been doing some playing before offering it as an added service!

What I'm struggling with is getting the whole pattern to transfer in one go, the foil I have the problem with is mystic.

I've tried just adhesive, just shellac tacky layer, adhesive over shellac and I just can't get it to work,

Any ideas would be much appreciated

have you tried curing the adhesive ?

I cure after glue and find foils come off all in one hit quite easily :D

have you tried curing the adhesive ?

I cure after glue and find foils come off all in one hit quite easily :D

I tried curing for 30 seconds, how long do you normally cure for?

x

Latest posts

Back