Nail keeps vertically cracking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

My dad has one nail that has a vertical crack right down the middle.
I have done a fiberglass repair on the nail and sealed it with Gelish. Once the Gelish grew out the nail continued to crack.
Is there anyway to heal the nail? Or prevent it from cracking?

Thanks x

Unfortunately it sounds like the root of the nail is damaged therefor this problem sounds like it could be ongoing, I've had the same problem before with various clients ....a visit to the docs may help :) x

As previously stated I think this is a root problem and no permanent cure available. I've a vertical split on a nail due to an accident, the only thing that works is keeping it so short that the nail never grows past the free edge. I've tried everything on it and nothing works permanently so short is the way to go. Also I've two clients with exactly the same problem, however, I've had some success with silk wraps and shellac giving them extra strength. Unfortunately mine's just too bad :(

Karaxxx

I have had a clients nail like this completely repair after using Nailtiques No 2 on it. She can stop using it for a while, and it will come back, so she starts again.

It may be worth a try,
Vicki x

I damaged the matrix on my right thumb after an incident with a rather large wardrobe door. This happened nearly 14 years ago now and my thumb nail still grows with a split :sad:

I damaged the matrix on my right thumb after an incident with a rather large wardrobe door. This happened nearly 14 years ago now and my thumb nail still grows with a split :sad:

I did the same with a car door on my right thumb 25 years ago...twice! It's a very sad nail now :( I use structure under my Gelish and it's ok. But naked, it catches on everything, as the split's quite low on one side and I can't trim it down enough :/ people like to call it that gammy or manky thumb!!!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382377731.684753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

picture.php

This lady came to me earlier this year and after getting the ok from her doctor we kept it protected with Brisa Lite and Shellac. She used SolarOil twice a day and within a few months it was better and stronger than her other nails! She now keeps it protected with Shellac and it never splits all the time it is covered. One of my best success stories xx

PS Now = July 2013

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back