Nail painting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeJulieJHo

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a course or a workshop that may help me improve my nail painting skills? Or do you believe it is just natural ability and practice?
I've been qualified for years now but have always felt I am so bad at giving a perfect polish that I have only ever offered facials and massage!
But now I feel the only way my business will be busy enough is if I offer all treatments. But it's so hard to be confident when I don;t feel skilled at what people are paying me for.
Any advice gratefully received. I keep practising but can never seem to get a good polish. I either get it on the cuticle skin, or the polish looks streaky....I'm starting a new business but am already worried about bookings for manicures!

Hey sometimes it's the polish the use as well don't beat urself up about it I find different polish goes on better than other what do u use? X

CND Master Painter - no contest!

Yes you need to feel comfortable with the polish, such as do you find it easier using a thinner or thicker brush? Also if you note which polishes are streaky, then make sure you apply a thin coat but maybe 3 instead of 2 xxx

Thank you all :Grope:
It does help to hear other opinions from experienced professionals.
I use OPI at the moment. I think I tend to load the brush with too much polish - but then when I try to keep a think coating I find I run out of glide and can't coat the whole nail.
It's a very pale pink, called Kiss On The Chic, that I find always looks patchy....I will try thinner coats and maybe 3 instead of 2, that's a good tip :)
I will look up the Master painting CND course straight away!
Thank you all again xxx

CND do a course called the polished nail that might help.

I always tend to find either very pale colours or darks can be streaky. But it's just practice and practice. Your not the only one, I'm the same!x

I use OPI too and find it great.. I think you just need to keep practicing!! Before I started training I could not paint a nail to save my life and I hate doing manicures and pedicures but my trainer showed me away of doing it to avoid getting paint on the cuticle.. Don't overload the brush and place the brush just down from the cuticle and push the paint back towards the cuticle and then when u have it close enough glide the brush down the nail.. That's how I do it and find it alot easier.. Avoid doing it on the 2nd coat though as it can get messy and won't finish nice!! I hope this helps as much as it did me and don't let it bring your confidence down.. Just keep practicing and you will get it :) xx

Thanks Caroline I will definitely focus on that technique next time.
And I will look at the CND course straight away and the precision polishing....thank you all for the encouragement- I can't give in I've just brought a new manicure table and equipment!xxxxx

Latest posts

Back